Author Topic: James Cant Ferrier & Euphemia Clark  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Cant Ferrier & Euphemia Clark
« on: Wednesday 30 January 08 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on James (b 1883, Greenock) and Effie who were born and were married in Clydebank, Scotland in 1907 and emigrated to the US - possibly Detroit - around 1929 with their five daughters - Annie (b1907), Catherine (b 1908), Euphemia (b1910), Liliam (b1911) and Alison (b1913) all born in Dalmuir/Clydebank.

Any information gratefully received.

:)
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Cant Ferrier & Euphemia Clark
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Looks like they arrived earlier than you thought.

1920 Census  226 Louise Avenue, Higland Park, Wayne Co., Michigan
Ferrier, James, age 35, immigrated 1914, alien, born Scotland, parents born Scotland, salesman for a jeweler
wife Euphemia, age 35, immigrated 1915, alien, born Scotland, parents born Scotland
daughter Catherine, age 11, immigrated 1915, alien, born Scotland, parents born Scotland
daughter Euphemia, age 9, immigrated 1915, alien, born Scotland, parents born Scotland
daughter, Lillian, age 8, immigrated 1915, alien, born Scotland, parents born Scotland
daughter Allison, age 6, immigrated 1915, alien, born Scotland, parents born Scotland

1930 Census, same address and town
James C. Ferrier, owned home worth $10K, age 46, first married at age 23, born Scotland, parents born Scotland, immigrated 1913, alien, real estate salesman
wife Effie C., age 46, first married at age 23, born Scotland, parents born Scotland, immigrated 1914, papers filed for naturalization
daughter Catherine C., age 21, single, born Scotland, parents born Scotland, immigrated 1914, alien, stenographer for automobile factory
daughter Effie C., age 20, single, born Scotland, parents born Scotland, immigrated 1914, papers filed for naturalization, stenographer for electric co.
daughter Lillian M., age 19, single, born Scotland, parents born Scotland, immigrated 1914, alien, attending school, no occupation
daughter Allison A., age 16, single,  born Scotland, parents born Scotland, immigrated 1914, alien, attending school
brother Marcus (?) C., age 30, married at age 29, immigrated 1924, papers filed for naturalization, tool maker for automobile factory

James sailed on the Pretorian from Glasgow and Moville on 4/5 Oct 1913 to Quebec.  He was age 31, married, working as a pawn broker.  Last permanent residence - Dalmuir Glasgow, Scotland.  Wife Euphemia Ferrier lived at 3 Shaftbury St. in Dalmuir.  His final destination was Detroit, Mich.  It looks like he was going to meet his brother-in-law (something) McAlister at 12 Collingwood Ave. in Detroit.  He was 5 ft. 11 inches tall with fair complexion, brown hair, and blue eyes.  Born Greenock, Scotland.  There is also an Annie McAlister right below him, who was going to see her husband at the same address.

It looks like Euphemia and the daughters sailed on the SS Scandanavian from Glasgow to Quebec on 24 June 1914.  There is Euphemia, age 30, housewife, last permanent residence - Dalmuir, Scotland, father John Brown, 3 Shaftsbury St., Dalmuir, final destination Detroit, Michigan, going to meet husband James Ferrier, 12 Collingwood Avenue, Detroit, Mich., 5 feet 3 ins. tall, light complexion, brown hair, grey eyes, born Dalmuir.  There is also Catherine, age 5;  Euphemia, age 4;  Lily, age 2;  and Elsie, age 6 months, all born Dalmuir.  There are marking that are a bit hard to read, but it looks like they all applied for naturalization in the mid-1930's.

There is also a border crossing for James and wife Euphemia.  They sailed from Glasgow to Quebec on the SS Athenia in Aug. 1925.  James was a salesman.  Their last permanent residence was Detroit.  In handwriting, above Detroit, it says "via car."  The nearest relative listed was James' mother Catherine Ferrier, 25 Lyle Street, Greenock.  Their final destination was Detroit.  They had been in Detroit from 1914-1925.  Their home was 226 Louise Ave., Detroit.   James was 5 ft. 11 ins. with fair complexion and hair and blue eyes.  He was born Greenock, Scotland.  Their visa was issued from Washington on 29 Jul 1925.  Euphemia was 5 feet 5 ins. with fair complexion and hair and grey eyes.  She was born in Glasgow.

Marcus Calder Ferrier travelled from Glasgow to New York on the SS Letitia on 12 Feb 1927.  He was age 27, single, an engine fitter, born Greenock, issued visa #873 in Glasgow on 20 Jan 1927.  Last permanent residence was Detroit.  His father was Alexander Ferrier, 23 Lyle St., Greenock.  His final destination was Detroit, and his home was 226 Louise Ave., Highland Pk., Detroit, Mich.  He was in Detroit from 1923-1926.  He planned to be a permanent US resident.  He was 5 ft. 11 ins. with fair complexion, blk. hair, and grey brown eyes.

Marcus also sailed from Greenock to Quebec on the SS Andania on 14 Sep 1929.  He was age 30, married, an engineer, born Greenock, issued visa #442348 in Washington on 3 Dec 1928.  His last permanent residence was Detroit, where he lived from 1923-1928.  His mother was Catherine Ferrier, 23 Lyle St., Greenock.  He was going to meet brother James at 226 Louise Ave., Detroit.  Marcus was 6 ft. with a fresh complexion and brown hair and eyes.  He crossed at the Detroit border on 23 Sep 1929.

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 January 08 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the passport records on Ancestry and couldn't find one for them for their 1925 trip. Bummer because that often includes a picture.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Cant Ferrier & Euphemia Clark
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 January 08 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Wow!

So much info in 1 hour 4 minutes!

I had only tried googling their names a couple of times, and Ellis Island site - and had spent several hours over two nights looking for information to lead me in the right direction and got nothing at all!

James was my great Uncle.  As my mother (b1922) had only met him once - when he came home for his father's funeral in 1932 (I think: remembering dates not my strong suit!).  Guess he missed his mother's as she died in 1944 - or he may have been dead by then himself.

Marcus and later his wife and one child moved to the US too but they all came back home to Greenock.  Marcus died young (c1944) so I think that is probably why most of the remaining family with whom I am in touch, have had no contact with the family for many, many years.

Where did you get all this information?  Where can I find out more?

Can't say how grateful I am to you both for taking the time and trouble to look all this up for me.  I am guessing you are both in the US so know your way around the system there, which does help.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks again

Win

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 January 08 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Win,

I wish I had found something. It is great seeing the passport applications, because a pic is often with them. I am sure it isn't complete yet, though, so one of these days it might pop up on there.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Julie Smith Hueston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 January 17 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  James & Euphemia Ferrier were my great grandparents.  Thier daughter Lillian Mae was my maternal grandmother.

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 January 17 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

Have sent a personal message in reply.

:)

Offline Julie Smith Hueston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 January 17 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am totally new to Rootschat so forgive me.  I think I am responding to your message via a post because I couldn't figure out how to reply   :-[

I have searched on and off for family history - nothing too serious.  My grandmother ( Lillian ) often told stories of her and her sisters and her mother coming over from Glasgow.  We don't much about family members that remained in Scotland so this is great!

You are correct that James's and Effie's first born ( you say Annie I thought it was Euphemia ) died before they came to America.  I would like to see if I can find any birth records or death to confirm that name .  Catherine Cant  married and had two children, a daughter and a son.  Both of whom are still living.  Her daughter married and had two daughters, one married and has two daughters the other has not married and has no children.  Catherine's son also married and has two children, a son and a daughter not married.  Euphemia ( Effie ) married never had children. Lillian Mae married and had three children, a daughter ( my mother) who married and has myself and my sister.  We each have married - I have three children and one grandchild.  My sister has two children.  Two sons both have married one with two sons and now two grandsons and a grand daughter.  Alison ( Elsie ) the youngest daughter of James and Effie Ferrier married and had three children, two sons and one daughter, all who have married.  Her eldest son has one son, not married and no children, next son has two sons and one daughter all married and there are nine grandchildren.  Elsie's youngest child a daughter is married and has step children. 
Elsie died in her fifties I believe and the other sisters all lived into either eighties or ninety's .  We ALL have remained in touch and close throughout the years. 

If I am following your story correctly Your mother was James Cant Ferrier's niece and you would be his great niece?  Your mother's mother was then married to one of James's other brothers ?
Enjoying learning about our family.
Julie

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 January 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

Click on the name of Grey Seagull - on the next screen under the name of Grey Seagull it says "send pm" - click this and it takes you thru to a message screen where you can type out your message and then press "send message"

Hope this helps
Sandra   ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada