Author Topic: shea - kellett  (Read 14921 times)

Offline brolga

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
shea - kellett
« on: Thursday 31 January 08 04:20 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking information about GEORGE SHEA and ANN KELLETT.
They were each born about 1822 and apparently married just before leaving for Australia in 1842.
We suspect they came from Offaly County - but are unsure.
Does anyone have any knowledge or suggestions?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: shea - kellett
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 08 11:04 GMT (UK) »
If they died in Australia is there any information on their death certificates which might help pinpoint a location in Ireland, names of parents, etc.?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline brolga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 February 08 00:33 GMT (UK) »
There is nothing on George's.
He died in 1860, before colonial authorities were recording such details.
I still haven't established the time & place of Ann's death.

Offline nickis

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 February 08 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

My name is Nicki Shea and I live in Perth Western Australia.

I too am tracing George Shea, he was my Great Great Great Great Grandfather.

I have been tracing back my father’s male lineage.

I have searched some Tasmanian links although not very thoroughly.

I have found that George may have been George (Delahunt) Shea according to his son William’s death certificate of which I have a copy.  His (George’s) wife was Anne Kellet. 

According to the Tasmanian family link (taslink) site which I printed off on 26/03/00 I did find that he may have been born circa 1817, and died at PT SORRELL Tasmania.  As for trying to locate him prior to landing in Tasmania from the ship Royal Saxon I don’t know where to go. 

I was delighted to find you looking for the same person.  Another searcher has provided that they found from the Shipping Information that George and Anne were born around 1820.  George did indeed die in the district of Port Sorell 15/5/1860.  The other searcher has a copy of his death registration.  The informant was the incumbent of the church not a son William.  Also that Anne died in 1899 in Port Sorrell.

I was unaware of where they had come from, now I know County Kings/Offaly, and their religion as well, Church or Ireland.

All my research (which is limited here in Perth, Western Australia) would allow was to find George (perhaps Delahunt) Shea married to Ann/e Kellet and came out to Tasmania on the Royal Saxon from (Left July 25th)London via Cork to Launceston.  The Hobart Town Gazette of May 5th 1843 had the ship sailing from 22 November 1842 to 31 March 1843.  George’s ( a Blacksmith by trade) employer was WG Walker of Norfolk Plains and from what I can read Anne was a domestic servant, with George paid 30 (I guess) shillings per annum and rations for his wife.

George (perhaps Delahunt) Shea my great great great great grandfather and Ann/e Kellett had a son William in 1843 which is my connection.

Hope to keep in contact with you and await to hear your connection to the Shea side!

All the best

Nicki Shea-Howell

Offline happycamper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 September 08 08:03 BST (UK) »
I have just spotted your posts as I also am seeking a lead on my Great, Great, Grandmother "Honora Shea" born at Corraclevin,  Dunkerrin, Offaly (formally Kings County) Ireland.  Honora was born in 1824 and migrated to Australia as a young single person. I know little more about her but timing is similar to your George, 

Might she have been following an elder brother?

Do you have any knowledge of George's family prior to leaving Ireland

Regards

Happycamper

Offline Stanmore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 November 09 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hallo to the posts nickis and brolga,
I am also searching George Shea and Ann Kellett - from my search George is my Great Great Grandfather. Nickis - my line is also from his son William.and Grandson William Gillett (my grandfather) I am wondering what your lineage is?
I realise that your posts were a while ago but am hopeful you may read this. I would like to know any further information to that of previous posts please. Most curious about the Ireland connection. Has anyone found anything further? Did they come from County Offaly?

Offline brolga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 November 09 01:01 GMT (UK) »
no, no further information at all

Offline Stanmore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Brolga,
That is disappointing but I will keep searching. Can you tell me your connection to George and Ann? What lead you to believe they may have come from offaly county. My early sense is that the records needed may be lost.

Offline Sijo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 00:49 GMT (UK) »
My great grand father was William Shea from Cooraclevin Kings Co. orCo Offaly. I would be delighted to share family history if we can find a common link      Regards  Sijo ???