Author Topic: Bruce/Hadden  (Read 4453 times)

Offline imb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bruce/Hadden
« on: Thursday 31 January 08 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I have never posted a message before, so hope I have put it on the right board........

In 1844 my GG Grandmother Mary Ann Bruce was born in Strichen,Aberdeenshire, on her birth record it says " William Bruce & Mary Aden 2 unmarried persons of this parish had a daughter Mary Ann.
I am sure this is my gg grandmother, I know she married John Grant who was 30 years older than her and on her marriage cert her parents are down as William Bruce and Mary Hadden but I can not find a marriage for William and Mary,I have come across a Mary Hadden and Ernest Bruce who wed in 1859, on the 61 census they have a 5 month old son also Ernest and a daughter Mary Ann, her age is down wrong to begin with, it says that she is 31 the same as her mother, but I payed to see it on scotlandspeople and she is 16, going by the fact that Ernest would of been about 11 when she was born I don't think he is her father, also on Ernest and Mary's wedding cert they are both down as single, I have hit that brick wall and wondered if some kind soul could point me in the right direction, I hope this all makes sense.

Irene
bradford,conlan,harris,masters,grant,bruce,reynolds,
morgan,bevan,rice,harrison

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce/Hadden
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 January 08 23:34 GMT (UK) »
 Hello Irene
I see that you've posted on the beginners board that on Mary Anne Bruces marriage cert an Ernest Bruce is down as a witness and that you believe him to be her stepfather.
MA Bruce and John Grant married on 08 Dec 1863 in Old Deer Aberdeenshire  and according to the IGI had the following children - all extracted records apart from the first. 
The reason I've printed off the names is to see if any naming pattern exists - to help us identify her parents and to save others the IGI search.  (First female child in the naming pattern traditionally named after mothers mother and second son after mothers father).

Margaret Grant  Birth: 1864 <Fyvie, Aberdeen, Scotland>

DAVID GRANT  Birth: 21 JAN 1864 Fyvie, Aberdeen, Scotland

WILLIAM GRANT  Birth: 13 JUN 1865 Fyvie, Aberdeen, Scotland

GEORGE GRANT   Birth: 29 SEP 1868 Fyvie, Aberdeen, Scotland

ROBERT GRANT  Birth: 16 AUG 1873 Millbrex, Aberdeen, Scotland 

Have you checked the '51 and '61 census records for a family of 3 in Aberdeenshire with the head as William Bruce.  (Unfortunately I don't have access due to  limited funds at present - only have the 1881 one on discs)?  Anyone out there with access to the '51 census?

Away to check on something else - I'll be back.  Regards,   Steve :O)

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 January 08 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Another query.  What age was Mary Anne on her marriage cert.? (not that it's neccesarily true)

From the IGI William Bruce and Mary Hadden married on 26 May 1844 in Old Deer, Aberdeenshire.

Regards,  Steve  :O)

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 January 08 23:56 GMT (UK) »
And from the IGI - yet again.....

Ernest Bruce married Mary Hadden on 10 Dec 1859 in Old Deer.

Children:

ERNEST BRUCE
Birth: 21 OCT 1860 Old Deer, Aberdeen, Scotland 

ROBERT BRUCE
Birth: 04 NOV 1862 New Deer, Aberdeen, Scotland

JEAN BRUCE
Gender: Female Birth: 25 MAY 1865 Longside, Aberdeen, Scotland

A further query.  Have you been able to locate a death entry for Mary Aden/Hadden?  If she died in Scotland it should record the names of any husbands.

Regards,  Steve :O)

Offline imb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 February 08 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Morning Steve,
thanks for your reply,
Mary A Bruce was 21 when she married John Grant, well that is what it says on the marriage cert.
John was a widower aged 51, he had 5 children that I know of with his first wife who was Janet ( Jessie ) Patterson.
John and Mary A  also had a daughter in 1881 called Mary Ann born 5 Jan Millbrex, Fyvie.
I have been through the 51 61 census again and can not find a William with a Mary and a child called Mary A, the nearest I have found is Mary Haddon with her sister Christian and a child aged 6 but her name looks like margt, shame cause I thought I had found them.
I have found a death for the Mary Hadden that married Ernest Bruce, she died 24 April 1897 in Old Deer.

Regards
Irene

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 February 08 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Piglet and imb,

Thomas Haddon married Margaret Morice. 29 Jul 1811 Strichen.
sadly there is a problem with the Strichen parish records....regarding your era..
I looked at the marriage between your Hadden and Bruce....mainly to see who Marys parents were.
I think you already had solved your own questions....but needed confirmation..
the census you found was correct...Ann Rannie is Mary's sister as is Christian and brother William and possibly james
Your mary didn't marry William Bruce, but were regarded as being together or william took responsibility for Mary Ann his child
I have seen the death of christian and yes her parents were the above. they must have passed away before the 1841c....but there is a very old Alexander Morrice living at Haukhill as well....I wonder if he a grandfather..
hope you are able to follow all this..

The other marriage that Piglet found between a william bruce and Ann Hadden...is another couple. I think  I saw they were having children later on.

1841 Census

Strichen -Aberdeenshire
Address: Haukhill

HADDAN   Ann   F   25   Householder    Aberdeenshire       
    RENNIE   Ann   F   1       Aberdeenshire       
    HADDAN   James   M   10       Aberdeenshire       
    HADDAN   Cristian   F   15       Aberdeenshire       

1851 Census
 Strichen -
Address: Hauckhill

RANNIE   Anne   Head   M   F   35   Domestic Duties    Aberdeenshire - Strichen       
    RANNIE   Anne   Dau   -   F   11   Scholar    Aberdeenshire - Strichen       
    RANNIE   Margt   Dau   -   F   6   Scholar    Aberdeenshire - Strichen       
    HADDON   Mary   Sister   U   F   28   Ag Servant    Aberdeenshire - Strichen       
    HADDON   Christian   Sister   U   F   26   Pauper - Weak Intellect    Aberdeenshire - Strichen       
    STEPHEN   Barbara   Niece   -   F   8   Scholar    Aberdeenshire - Strichen       
    BRUCE   Margt   Niece   -   F   6   Scholar    Aberdeenshire - Strichen     

1861 Scotland Census

Civil Parish: Strichen 
County: Aberdeenshire 
Address: Hawkhill Private House 

Ann Rannie Head, Ploughman wife 46
Christian Adden 35 
William Adden 31 

1871 Scotland Census

Civil Parish: Old Deer 
Address: Windhill 

William Hadden 40 ag lab
Mary Jane Esslemont 2 
Christian Hadden 43 
Ann Rennie 56 
Margaret Rennie 3 
Ann Scott 6 

1881 Scotland Census

Registration district: Kininmonth 
Civil Parish: Lonmay 

William Hadden 50 Head, Farmer (Of 35 Acres Of Which 28 Arable Emp 2 Women) 
Ann Pirie 16 
Ann Rannie 66 

regards
Jo

[/color]
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline imb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 February 08 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Jan,Piglet & Kenjo,

I would like to thank you all so very much for all the help you have given me, I was going round in circles and was meeting myself coming back !!!!!!                 so Mary Ann Bruce was the step daughter of Ernest Bruce and her mother married him in 1859 I now need to find her birth father ( there are rather a lot of William Bruce's ) at first I thought he may of been Ernest's brother, but cant find a William being born to that family, he could of been a cousin but there again the name is very common.
My thanks to you all again.

Irene