Author Topic: census look up please  (Read 7249 times)

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: census look up please
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 02 February 08 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi French, no worries, I'll check the remaining two death registrations today or tomorrow. 

As usual the problem with the census search is Ancestry's appalling transcriptions.  They are listed under "Kerre" on the ancestry search index.  I don't have an account but I did a quick search with all known values except the last name and they came up as Beth mentioned.  So search for William Kerre and you'll find them.  I finally cancelled my subscription when I found that, according to Ancestry, one of my ancestors was not a kitchen helper as previously thought but rather a b-itchen helper  :o
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 02 February 08 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I've finally found them. There's also a gd son on there,James kerr who was born 1894 in Atherton. Was he William and Sarah's son. If so, he should be with them in Canada as I haven't found a death for a james Kerr infant.
The other grandchild, Mary Jane Richards was the daughter of Ellen Kerr, William John's sister. I'll check that out next week.

Is brother James Kerr on the 1911 census in Canada?

Thanks Lynwen for taking the time to look for them.
I can understand your annoyance at a b-itchen helper. The family can say that but not Ancestry.

Another question, probably stupid for you. Where does one find the free census? My grandfather is missing from the 1891 census and no-one up to now has found them. Maybe it's another transcription fault on Ancestry? Mind you, with a name like John Jones...

French
Sale, Jones, Clementson,  Whitecross, Westwick, Hodgson, Roberts, Williams, kerr, Currie, Elliott, Payne, Mager, Tittley, Morrison, Scott, Brown

Lancashire, Wirral, C° Durham, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Berkshire

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 02 February 08 18:08 GMT (UK) »
You can search the Canadian census records at www.automatedgenealogy.com.  If you do find a match, first select the highlighted page record which will give you a table of all the entries on that census page.  Then to view the actual census page, click on the "split view" link at the top of the page.

I think Beth might have been searching on the National Archives 1901 Census page.  It is free to search but you have to pay to see the details.  You could try other pay sites that allow you to search for free, findmypast for example, and if you find something, then go back to ancestry and search on alternate criteria to try and get around any transcription issues.

I'll see if I can find any mention of marriages or deaths in BC for a James Kerr.

Lynwen
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 02 February 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
wow, well done!
cemetery inscriptions Wm & sarah
http://www.vdfhs.com/nakusp.htm
nakusp library
http://www.nakusplibrary.bc.ca/allnewbooks.htm

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 03 February 08 01:23 GMT (UK) »
I found James!  He married Agnes Ferguson on 21 April 1928 at St Paul's United Church in Nelson, BC.  The registration details list that he was 32yrs old, employed as a machinist and living in South Slocan.  He was born in England, parents William J (born Scotland) and Sarah Davis (born Wales).  He could read and write.  His wife was 26yrs old and employed in the Confectionery business.  She lived in Coleman, Alberta and was the daughter of John C Ferguson (born Scotland) and Agnes Bank (also born Scotland).  She could also read and write.

Now the strange bit is that his name was recorded as James Kerr Jr which I thought was an error at first but then I noticed he also signed his name James Kerr Jr.  He clearly gives his father's name as William so I am not sure what that is all about.  I couldn't find any trace of James, Florrie or Sarah in the 1911 Census but I did a quick search on Ancestry and there is a WWI record for a James Kerr Jr with a Mrs Sarah Kerr listed in the record.  I don't have a subscripton so I tried to check the National Archives....and the site is down again.  :'(

If anyone has an Ancestry subscription, can you check the record?  Otherwise we'll have to wait for the NA site to return to get a look at his Attestation papers.

Oh - and Allan Gamble Kerr is not related to this branch.  Nor is the John Kerr who married Maggie Wallace in 1915 and died in 1929.  I also checked for a death record for James and also for Agnes but couldn't find a thing.

We're getting there.....slowly but surely......

Lynwen
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 03 February 08 01:31 GMT (UK) »

If anyone has an Ancestry subscription, can you check the record?  Otherwise we'll have to wait for the NA site to return to get a look at his Attestation papers.

Lynwen

Ancestry is hooked up right to the National Archives site, so unable to look at census or attestation papers today  :(

Having said that on the index in Ancestry it says James Kerr Jr. born Nov. 26, 1894, Syldesley, Lancashire, Next of Kin:  Mother, Mrs. Sarah Kerr

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 03 February 08 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, I didn't realize that Ancestry tapped into the Archives' images. 

I think my b-itchen helper ancestor would call Ancestry and suggest that Syldesley, Lancashire is actually Tyldesley which just happens to be next door to Atherton.  That has to be a good sign for the Kerr family search.
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 03 February 08 05:03 GMT (UK) »
The entries I found on this message were from the 1911 Canadian Census:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,282744.msg1662095.html#msg1662095
One brother was in Fernie, BC and the other in Coleman, Alberta.

I was unable to find Sarah and Florrie in 1911.
There was a death registration for James. He died at the age of 72 in Fernie

To find the free version of the 1901 UK Census you can Google and it comes up.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 03 February 08 05:40 GMT (UK) »
There is this Sarah, Calgary, alone, but listed as married...a four older which isn't unusual, and a Florence also age is out...but there is a Helena on page as well....so probably not correct family, but will post anyway... as can't check the split view for details...
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=8959
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com