Author Topic: census look up please  (Read 7234 times)

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: census look up please
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 03 February 08 07:00 GMT (UK) »
The Florence in Calgary in 1911 was born in 1902 so does not seem to be the same person as the Florrie in the 1901 UK census.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 03 February 08 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I take my hat off to you all. I feel a real amateur compared to you.

There isn't a Helena Kerr born in Lancashire. Florrie Kerr was definately born in 1898 in Atherton. My Kerr family lived in the part of Atherton called Hindsford that touches Tyldesley (my home town of long ago).

On Scotland's People there's a birth of a John Cummings Ferguson in 1870 in St Clement, Dundee City and an Agnes Bank in 1875 also in St Clement Dundee.
 Also another John Chalmers Ferguson born 1872 in Leith North Edinburgh City and an Agnes Bank born 1881, same place. I can't find a marriage though for a John Ferguson and Agnes Bank anywhere. They may have been married in a non-conformist church.
There isn't a birth for an Agnes Ferguson born abt. 1902 anywhere.

I'll check again when I can. I'm having to share a computer this weekend as my grandson is visiting and is glued to the keyboard.

James Kerr could have been known as James Kerr jnr. because he had the same name as his uncle who was still alive and living very close when they were still in England. Although putting jnr. is very much a North American thing.
James Kerr also had a son called James Wallace Kerr born 1896 who also served in WW1. That seems a lot of James Kerrs...

French
Sale, Jones, Clementson,  Whitecross, Westwick, Hodgson, Roberts, Williams, kerr, Currie, Elliott, Payne, Mager, Tittley, Morrison, Scott, Brown

Lancashire, Wirral, C° Durham, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Berkshire

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 03 February 08 12:12 GMT (UK) »
From Free BMD  James Kerr Born OND 1894 Leigh  Vol 8c Page 357

Also on 1901 UK Census in Atherton with William J., Sarah, Florrie and William age 69.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline frenchdressing

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 03 February 08 21:52 GMT (UK) »
This is just for info.

Sarah Davies married William John Kerr in 1893.
She was baptised on the 15/11/1896, the same day as her two children, James, born 26/11/1894 and Jane, born 30/09/1896. (Lancashire Parish Clerk Project)
Her parents are given as Thomas Davies and Mary who were living in Tyldesley at the time.
Jane died a baby and is buried in the same grave as her grandparents William and Mary Jane Kerr in Atherton cemetery.

So, we've definately got the right William John and Sarah Kerr.

I'm sure that James Kerr who died in 1943 is the right one too. I phoned England today and the family have no death cert. The gt grandson has no idea how his mother got the year 1935 as the year of death. Maybe the last time they had news?

Memories are fragile things. My mother said that she was Welsh with a father born in Wrexham. After months of searching I found he was born in Wakefield, Yorkshire. Not exactly the same direction...

French
Sale, Jones, Clementson,  Whitecross, Westwick, Hodgson, Roberts, Williams, kerr, Currie, Elliott, Payne, Mager, Tittley, Morrison, Scott, Brown

Lancashire, Wirral, C° Durham, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Berkshire

Offline davies664

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 04 January 21 14:01 GMT (UK) »
In Case anyone is still reading this thread after all this time, Sarah Davies is an ancestor of mine.

Sarah was born in Ruabon Denbigh in Wales 1872 and her siblings were:
James Davies  (My Great Grandfather) 1869 - 1948 (Spoke Welsh and English)
Christmas Davies 1860 (because parents Married on 25 Dec 1858)
Elizabeth Davies 1862
Mary Jane Davies 1864
Barbara Davies 1874

Sarah's Parents were
Thomas Davies 1836 - 1907
Mary Roberts 1834 - 1901

Sarahs' aunts and uncles (Davies) were:
John Davies 1827 - 1863 Killed in coal mine explosion Wynstay 9 Dec (details online)
Sarah Davies 1831
Robert Davies 1832
James Davies 1835
William Davies 1840
Eliza Davies 1841