Author Topic: chapels in syston  (Read 1254 times)

Offline lushbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
chapels in syston
« on: Thursday 31 January 08 19:46 GMT (UK) »
hi there can anyone help me,i am wondering if there were any chapels on syston around 1845.i have been stuck with a missing marriage have searched all the indexes and it does not exist but am just wondering if it may have been in a chapel and for some reason not been registered.have been looking for so long am 99%convinced they were not married but want to be sure i have checked everything before i give up !! many thanks,elaine
partridge leics
lewin leics
hetterley leics
ward leics
rudkin leics

Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: chapels in syston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 February 08 07:11 GMT (UK) »
At that time the great majority of marriages were in the Church of England.  If a marriage took place in a Nonconformist chapel, the local Registrar of Marriages had to be present, and the marriage would be recorded in his register, held at the Register Office. If a marriage does not appear in the indexes it is possible that it never took place at all, but it could be that the copies were never sent to the GRO (some clergy were rather slack about this), or else one or both names were mis-copied or omitted altogether at the indexing stage. Finally, some of the early handwritten indexes were re-typed in the 1960s, and a number of extra errors crept in. So if you know the church or churches where it is likely to have place, it is best to check the actual register if possible.

Mean_genie

Offline lushbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: chapels in syston
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 February 08 18:18 GMT (UK) »
thanks for replying,i have been searching for nearly 3 years for this marriage and agree it probably does not exist but thanks for the info it is something to go on,maybe i will get lucky !,best wishes elaine
partridge leics
lewin leics
hetterley leics
ward leics
rudkin leics

Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives