Author Topic: Thomas Rolston vaughan McCready  (Read 7701 times)

Offline gatherer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Rolston vaughan McCready
« on: Friday 01 February 08 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Can any one help!
Looking for Marriage of Thomas Rolston Vaughan McCready to Margaret Jane Helen Harveysometime before 1856 as their son also called Thomas Rolston Vaughan McCready was born about 1856 probably in Londonderry.

From his marriage certificate in 1881 in Scotland his address was given as William St Londonderry. he moved back to Londonderry after his marriage to Barbara Hossack as I am pretty sure his children were born there as I can't find any birth certificates for them in Scotland. The family then moved to live in Fife in about 1908.
Hossack Banff, Paterson Meigle & Dundee, Sturrock Monikie, McCready Londonderry,Hancox West Bromwich  & Evesham,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rolston vaughan McCready
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 February 08 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Am a bit puzzled by this post after looking at IGI.  According to IGI Thomas McCready and Margaret (Hervey or Williamson) had 2 children both born Arbroath, Angus, Scotland:
1. Thomas Ralston Vaughan born 6 Nov.1856
2. Isabella born 27 May 1859

Both listed as extracted records but perhaps McCready is misidexed or births under mothers maiden name if you haven't been able to find them on Scotland's People.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gatherer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 February 08 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this information.
I don't think this is my direct ancestor from what I've been told but I will certainly look into it further at Register House Edinburgh.
This family definitely had Irish connections
Maybe it is a side branch as the name is very similar.
Thanks anyway  :-\
Hossack Banff, Paterson Meigle & Dundee, Sturrock Monikie, McCready Londonderry,Hancox West Bromwich  & Evesham,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 February 08 17:23 GMT (UK) »
The IGI records are extracted records so the birthplaces might be incorrect but it might be worth checking for them on Scotland's People as it seems unlikely that there were two different Thomas McCreadys both married to a Margaret Harvey.
Can any one help!
Looking for Marriage of Thomas Rolston Vaughan McCready to Margaret Jane Helen Harveysometime before 1856 as their son also called Thomas Rolston Vaughan McCready was born about 1856 probably in Londonderry.
Are you sure Thomas (b.c1856) was born in Ireland?

Offline gatherer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 February 08 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Correction in spelling to name it should be Roulston.
No not 100% sure he was born in Londonderry but pretty sure he was irish

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 February 08 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Could have considered himself Irish if parents were born in Ireland and even possible he spent some of his childhood in Ireland.
Any idea of father's occupation?
Still think it would be worth checking for birth in Scotland's People to confirm or rule out the IGI entry.

Offline gatherer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 February 08 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I know Thomas Roulston Vaughan McCready was in londonderry with his wife & children in 1902 because I have an autograph book belonging to his daughter Barbara Hossack McCready with Strand House School on it.
Can anyone look up the 1901 census for Londonderry and see if they are listed for me please :)
I would especially like to know if he was born in Ireland as I have always been lead to believe this was the case.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 February 08 19:05 GMT (UK) »
1901 Irish census is not yet indexed or online (1901 and 1911 will eventually be on National Archives (Dublin) site). However, I did find a few bits on the McCreadys for you.
The two Scottish births I found earlier (Thomas and Isabella) are the correct family- 1861 Scottish Census confirms this.

1861 Census- 47 WEest Abbey St., Arbroath, Forfarshire
Thomas McCready 47 Ireland pawnbroker
wife Margaret McCready 36 Lanarkshire
dau. Catherine McCready 18 Ireland
dau. Margaret McCready 7 Arbroath scholar
son Thomas McCready 4 Arbroath
dau. Isabella McCready 2 Arbroath
servant Jessie Harney 15 Arbroath domestic servant
servant Margaret Baxter 60 Arbroath domestic servant

Wondering if Margaret was Thomas' 2nd wife as he and daughter Catherine both born in Ireland but Margaret in Scotland and also there's a big gap in ages between Catherine and other 3 children.

Will of Thomas McCready (father) - more on PRONI site:
The Will of Thomas M'Cready late of Princes-street Londonderry Pawnbroker who died 21 April 1895 at same place was proved at Londonderry by Thomas Roulston Vaughan M'Cready of William-street Londonderry Pawnbroker the sole Executor.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gatherer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 February 08 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I have to say based on what you have found out about the will of Thomas senior and the exectutor being Thomas Roulston Vaughan McCready ( address William St Londonderry is what appeared on his scottish wedding certificate ) it must be my family right enough. He gave his occupation as a stockbrocker & it appeared later as general dealer quess that was a fancy cover up for being a pawnbroker!!!!

I am still really surprised that Thomas junior was born in Arbroath & yes I think you must be right about Margaret being Thomas' 2nd wife.

I will now try to track them through the census to see when they went back to Ireland.
Thanks again  ;D