Author Topic: Irish in Co Durham  (Read 43999 times)

Offline No-one

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Irish in Co Durham
« Reply #27 on: Monday 01 December 08 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Dear Adam

I would welcome information on the other Loftus entries that you spotted as they are very likely to be related.

Thank you very much indeed for this.

With very best wishes

Moni
LOFTUS Durham
LOVEGREEN Sunderland and Durham
ARMSTRONG Hexhamshire and Consett
LEATHEARD Northumberland and Durham
RICHARDSON Durham

Offline Adamand

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 December 08 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Moni. Sorry about the delay. Have been out of fettle for a while.
Any way here is the remaining Loftus information:-

Jacabus Loftus, born 1/March/1884, baptised 30/March/1884, parents Joannes and Agnetis Loftus, maiden name Connor, sponsors Thomas and Maria Connor, address
just given as Houghall.

Maria Margarita Loftus, born 5/September/1865, baptised 1/October, parents Martini and Margarita Loftus, maiden name Walsh?, sponsors Francis Cusson, address given as Shincliffe,

Thomas Loftus, born1/Sep/1880, baptised 9/September/1880. parents Jacobi and Margaret Loftus, maiden name Mc Gee, sponsors Margaret McCullough, address given as Water lane.

Deaths all from St Bede's Durham:-
Does not give a lot of information but here goes.
Brigitta Loftus, died 1/September/1886, Millburngate, aged 76 years.
Patricus Loftus, died 4/December1872, Dunelmo, aged 52 years.
Maria Loftus, died 18/June/1878, Sherburn Hill, aged 1 year.
Patricus Loftus, died 6/September/1878, Sherburn Hill, aged two and a half years.

You will of course notice that the priest has put some of the names in Latin.
Most priests spell them different but I am sure you will be OK with them

Adam

Offline No-one

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 December 08 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Dear Adam

I'm sorry to hear you've been out of sorts, but hope you're back to full strength now. You still replied surprisingly quickly!

Thank you very much for this information. I've no problem with the Latin versions of names and several of these Loftuses are mine. So fantastic - it's filled in a few gaps and stopped the wind blowing through my family tree!

With many thanks and best wishes for health and happiness

Moni
LOFTUS Durham
LOVEGREEN Sunderland and Durham
ARMSTRONG Hexhamshire and Consett
LEATHEARD Northumberland and Durham
RICHARDSON Durham

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 06 December 08 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me track my ancestors James Mackin B.1809  Ireland
I have him on census 1851 with wife Catherine, sons Thomas B. 1832, & Nackin (not heard this name before) B. 1838  all born Ireland. lived at
Portobella Lane Monkwearmouth,
thanks ruby

What else do you know about the Mackin family? If they were Catholic, a comprehensive search of St Mary's, Bishopwearmouth marriage registers may yield some clues.

Good luck,
J.T.A.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 11 December 08 21:35 GMT (UK) »
It will be some time before I can make it to the DRO, in the meantime I wonder if you Adam or anyone else can provide me with any of the baptismal sponsors for the following family:

John Malone originated from Drummond in the parish of Inniskeen, Co Monaghan and on the 25th June 1866 married Catherine Fitzpatrick at the Catholic Church of St Wilfred's, Bishop Auckland whilst both parties were living at Spennymoor. I have the marriage certificate

Ist child: Peter was born Spennymoor June Quarter of 1867: was probably baptised St Charles' Tudhoe.

2nd child: Mary A was born Halifax, Yorkshire September quarter of 1869 so does not apply.

Family returned to Durham by 1871 when Catherine Fitzpatrick died and John married again 18th November 1872 to Catherine McPhillips at the Catholic Church of Our Lady Immaculate and St Cuthbert, Crook. I also have that marriage certificate.

The family then returned to Ireland where the next two children Patrick (1874)and James (1875) were born at Drummond, Inniskeen, Co Monaghan. I have these two baptisms.

5th child: Thomas was born Willlington in the March quarter of 1878: was probably baptised Our Lady and St Thomas, Willington.

6th child: Catherine was born Bearpark in the June Quarter of 1880: was probably baptised St Godric's, Framwellgate.

7th child: Rose Ann was born at Stanley Crook in the December quarter of 1882.
8th child: Bridget was born at Stanley Crook in the December quarter of 1884.
9th child: Elizabeth was born Stanley Crook in the December quarter of 1886.
These three children were probably baptised Our Lady Immaculate and St Cuthbert, Crook.

10th child: Margaret was born at Esh in the December quarter of 1888.
11th child: Ellen was born at Esh in the March quarter of 1891.
These last two children were probably baptised at either St Michael's, Esh Laude or Our Lady Queen of Martyrs, Esh Winning.

Many thanks,
J.T.A.

Offline Adamand

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 12 December 08 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello J.T.A. There are no baptisms for Malone or any variations on that name at Our Lady Immaculate and St Cuthbert, Crook.
The dates that you have given would suggest that it May be Our lady and St Thomas, Willington.
There is one death entry for Crook and that is Malone Jacobus, 8/September/1878 aged 3 years, address Willington.
Crook will have been the burial place because like Wolsingham it had its own Catholic graveyard.

Adam

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 12 December 08 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Adam,
Many thanks for your prompt reply. John Malone, according to an inquest in September 1886 was an uncle of my grandfather Patrick Keenan. at that time John Malone was living at Stanley Crook and more specifically, Wooley Terrace, Stanley Crook at the time of the 1881 census whilst the Keenan family lived at Willington from 1855 to 1890.

According to the 1991 census Rose Ann, Bridget and Elizabeth Malone were all born at Stanley which is in the Auckland registration district where they are recorded in the GRO indexes, whereas Willington is in the Durham registration district. It is possible that there was a reason why these children were baptised at Willington where they had lived previously but I find it odd if that was the case as they would have had to pass the church at Crook on the way to Willington from Stanley Crook.

The James Malone death you found in 1878 at Willington corresponds with the James who was born in Drummond, Inniskeen in 1875 which accounts for the reason why he is not included in the next census. I am familiar with that churchyard as that is were my grandfather's brother was buried.

Thanks again,
J.T.A.

Offline Adamand

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 14 December 08 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello J.T.A. Here is the inscription of a Malone burial stone. Of course you may have it already:-

In loving memory of Edward, the beloved son of James and Elizabeth Jane Malone, who died at Low Willington July/12/1908 aged 9 months.

Adam

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 14 December 08 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Adam but it must be a different family. I had more or less completed my Keenan/Martin family research in Durham over 15 years ago except for being stumped over who the unnamed uncle of my grandfather could be who was mentioned in the inquest of his brother James Keenan in 1886 and it has taken me all those years to recently discover that his name was John Malone, a name that I had not touched on previously, so I am only in the early stages of research into the Malone family in an effort to establish the exact relationship. What I have been able to prove so far is that the Keenans and Malones came from the same place in Co Monaghan and that John Malone married twice to a Fitzpatrick and a McPhillips so the connection could be with any of those three families. The Malones moved from Stanley Crook to Esh circa 1887 and were still at Esh in 1901.
J.T.A.