Author Topic: Looking for Jean Hay, the Vicar's wife in Hampstead  (Read 726 times)

Offline Sandra Parker

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Looking for Jean Hay, the Vicar's wife in Hampstead
« on: Saturday 02 February 08 04:19 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out why the vicar's wife at St Saviours Vicarage, took such an interest in my Aunt when she attended Beauclerc Girls School in 1934. Her name was Mrs Jean Hay, and she lived at the Vicarage in Eton Road, so I can only presume that her husband was the vicar.
Maybe she was a relative, or maybe had been a teacher at Beauclerc School and followed her educational progress with interest.
My Aunt kept a letter from her giving advice on the forthcoming examination advising her 'don't do work of any kind after Saturday evening. Have the week-end absolutely free in order to get your brains perfectly clear. Above all, don't worry, because that will only muddle you. In English especially, Betty dear, time yourself carefully, because remember you must attempt all sections.'
Obviously she did as she was advised and later on, after attending the Royal College of Drawing on a scholarship spent a short time as a replacement Art Teacher.
London: Bradford, Van der Velden, Peill, Harris
Norfolk: Chilvers, Sparkes
IOW: Barton, Please, Shiner
Cheshire: Parker. Bradley, Hooley
Staffordshire: Buckley, Hargreaves