Author Topic: Orphan Willie Woods – Help Please.  (Read 54113 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orphan Willie Woods – Help Please.
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Willy's son et al...
Did anyone ever see this publication called "Lobb Family" ?
Listed as a publication under the name Thistlethwaite...there is some information listed under Wilfred, but likely all that you have already, but you never know if there may be some little extra thing of note...

http://www.ogs.on.ca/ogspi/160/e160t009.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello

There is this birth, which would be not to far from Picton. Aggie could be known as Kate.

Cora Viola Woods
Born September 19, 1905 in Northumberland  County
Parents: Charles A Woods & Aggie Kerr
(This looks like the same Charles found by Nancy in border crossings of 1910 and he was Welsh, so if one and the same, this birth puts him with his earlier wife near Picton and the Orphanage)

So far, I have not found an Ontario marriage for Charles Woods and Aggie Kerr, could it be in Wales or England?

I think it may be a good possibility for a sister. Willy remembers something of a sister. Being at a grave for his mother, then taken to an orphanage. He mentions a train ride to the adopted parents. There wasn't a mention of a long train ride to the orphanage, so the family could have been near Picton at the time. Maybe Charles and family were on route to Nipigon as their final destination.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 05:18 GMT (UK) »
For those searching for a death...Aggie could also be a nickname for either  Agnes or Agatha...J.J.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nevermind...Good thought but...here is Aggie with  Chas. A Woods & 2 children...in 1911
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=138213&desc=1911
The Charles also says born Ontario...
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=138212
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 06:51 GMT (UK) »
At this point could we just pause for a minute and state what information we KNOW to be true?  Have we been able to verify any of the information we have? 

dollylee

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I sure didn't mean for the above post to sound negative.  I am sure we are all going cross eyed trying to chase all these Charlie's around and it's getting confusing keeping track of all or which ones we have checked out.

I got a reply from the Thunder Bay Genweb lady and I was surprised to find that she didn't have the actual transcripts from the cemeteries.  She only had the one that I had already checked on-line but she did remind me that most lists are headstone inscriptions so if there is no headstone there is no record.  She also checked death records in the time frame but there was nothing although she said deaths often went unrecorded.

So I am sorry willys son we seem to have hit another dead-end.

dollylee

Having said all that has anyone checked out William Wilfred Woods 4 months old, born Lambeth, Administrative District: London, Civil: Lambeth out on the 1901 UK Census??  I don't have access but the Wilfred and age made me curious.

Offline LesleyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 07 February 08 03:22 GMT (UK) »
I checked the 1901 for William Wilfred Woods age 4 months.  His parents were Henry George and Jessie Woods.  Too bad cuz the name and age were perfect!

I also checked the Canadian Border Crossings again.  I found a Charles Wood born 1861 trying to enter the US in 1915 at Niagara Falls.  He is a widower, born in England, and has no relatives in Canada.  His occupation is plasterer.  He was not allowed to enter the US, it doesn't say why.

The details for this Charles seem to fit with the family that was in Bridgend Wales in 1901.  On that census Charles was born about 1860/61 and was a painter.  I have had many ancestors who changed back and forth every ten yrs between plasterer and painter.

Still can't find any matching deaths though.

Lesley

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 07 February 08 06:23 GMT (UK) »

I also checked the Canadian Border Crossings again.  I found a Charles Wood born 1861 trying to enter the US in 1915 at Niagara Falls.  He is a widower, born in England, and has no relatives in Canada.  His occupation is plasterer.  He was not allowed to enter the US, it doesn't say why.

The details for this Charles seem to fit with the family that was in Bridgend Wales in 1901.  On that census Charles was born about 1860/61 and was a painter.  I have had many ancestors who changed back and forth every ten yrs between plasterer and painter.

Still can't find any matching deaths though.

Lesley

Lesley,

that border crossing attempt looks pretty good.
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 07 February 08 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

J.J. asked me to join the hunt  too  :)

I've found a possible trio crossing in 1906 which could fit the Bridgend family:

27 September 1906

Liverpool to Quebec - Ship: Kensington, Dominion Line
Kate Wood, 30, wife
William Wood, 6
John Wood, 2

Unfortunately, I can't find Charles - maybe he went before - and Kate's age is a little less.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 07 February 08 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Good for you Gadget !!!  What resource were you using because they sure aren't listed on findmypast....and it's a nightmare to scroll through the hundreds of non transcribed lists held at the National Archives of Canada.

Really well done.

dollylee

sure seems like they are the likely couple....let's hope we can find more information on them now.