Author Topic: Can anybody help?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anybody help?
« on: Saturday 02 February 08 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi there and thanks for reading this.
I am totally baffled with this one.
I am looking for the births of Ann Kennedy b c 1809 and Martin Kennedy b c1815 , they are brother and sister. I believe Ann married a Robert Gordon and she appears on the 1851 census as a visitor at brother Martins house in Falkirk. On this census it states that they were both born Lanarkshire Glasgow, but i can't find them, or rather i can find plenty Anns but no Martin Kennedy births.
I would appreciate any help as i have been searching a long, long, long, long time
bougie
Ps They both emigrated to Canada in the mid 1850's
Bouglas, Hogg, Crozier,Selkirkshire.; Duff,Berwickshire. Hogarth,Berwickshire.; Short,Blythe,Moore and Sproat, Ettrick;  Offord,Gould,Essex; Mcvittie,Langholm.;Armstrong,Chambers, Cononbie.
Moore,Ewes Dumfriesshire;

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Can anybody help?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 February 08 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any parents details

For example on the IGI there is an Ann Kennedy born in Glasgow 20th September 1807 to Alexander Kennedy and Marion Gordon

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 February 08 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for answering so quickly Falkryn
Don't have parents info, thats what i am trying to find. Ann as i said married Robert Gordon in Edinburgh. On that cert it said that she was daughter of John Kennedy , Lauriston [which i think is near Falkirk]. She was not with her husband on the 1851 census and i found her at brother Martins house in Polmont nr Falkirk
Martin Kennedy head 36
Susan    "          wife 38
John                  son    4
Ann   Gordon    sistr  42
It says that both Martin and Ann were born Lanarkshire Glasgow
Ann definitely emigrated to Canada and i think Martin went too as i can't find him on any more censuses. I believe they had more siblings but not sure of the names but almost certain that one is John b c1803 Lanarkshire Glasgow.
Martin married Susan Temple. There are plenty births where i can fit Ann and John together but no Martins and he is the only definate sibling that i have for Ann.
Appreciate any help as this has been a hard search
Bougie
Bouglas, Hogg, Crozier,Selkirkshire.; Duff,Berwickshire. Hogarth,Berwickshire.; Short,Blythe,Moore and Sproat, Ettrick;  Offord,Gould,Essex; Mcvittie,Langholm.;Armstrong,Chambers, Cononbie.

Offline lanarkshire lassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 February 08 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi bougie.
Having read your thread, it reminds me that so many entries have been mis-transcribed, it is easy to think that you have hit a brick wall. have found rellies with various spellings, and wrong places of birth.

Good luck with your search.

Gail
McBride/Steele/McMaster/Tweed -County Antrim
Morrison-Lanarkshire/Edinburgh/Doune/Bo'ness
Coventry- Coatbridge/old monkland/ Kilmacolm/Port Glasgow/Ireland
Wylie- County Armagh/ Old Monkland.
Pender- Old Monkland.
Stirling- Old Monkland.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 February 08 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Lauriston [which i think is near Falkirk].

There is Laurieston which is south of the River Clyde and is now part of Glasgow
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/story.php?id=TGSCG10

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 February 08 14:35 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks for the good luck wish Gail. I'm needing it for this one.
 Hi Falkryn
 I had another look at Anns marraige cert and it says "daughter of John Kennedy, farmer , Laurieston, Falkirk. This was in 1831.
There are so many John Kennedys in the area that i haven't been able to find him, and don't know his wifes name.
As i said, Ann and Martin both had Lanarkshire Glasgow as their place of birth on the 1851 census.
I have a document from Canada in which Ann Gordon was being baptised into the Latter Day Saints Church in Egremont on which she also states that she was born Lanarkshire Glasgow.
There is only one Martin Kennedy on SP born between the years 1800-1816 [ which would be the limits on his year of birth] and that is in Durisdeer Dumfries,
to a David K and Hannah Middletonin 1815, Which is definitely not the right one.
I have tried different spellings of Kennedy and have tried Morton, Mertin etc, but nothing. If i can find him with a John K father i think i will find Anns birth also.
Help, help, help

Bougie

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 February 08 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage record for martin from SP

30/11/1832 KENNEDY MARTIN married SUSAN TEMPLE/ at Falkirk /STIRLING

Also births to them

12/06/1842 KENNEDY DAVID born MARTIN KENNEDY/SUSAN TEMPLE at Denny /STIRLING

22/11/1846 KENNEDY JOHN TEMPLE born MARTIN KENNEDY/SUSAN TEMPLE   Denny /STIRLING

Using the Scottish naming tradition it is unlikely that Martins father was called John

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 February 08 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Only 1 possible marriage on SP for Ann

07/12/1831 KENNEDY ANN married ROBERT MOFFAT CRISP GORDON at St Cuthbert's  EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 February 08 18:10 GMT (UK) »
It is of course possible that the parents belonged to one of the breakaway churches which were quite prominent for some considerable time. If so their records are not yet available online but can only be viewed on a visit to Edinburgh.