Author Topic: William Thompson Ballyvennox  (Read 2501 times)

Offline vowgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Thompson Ballyvennox
« on: Sunday 03 February 08 01:28 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone would be researching the  family great grandfather William Thompson etc
The family story is he left his wife and child and went to America I have been unable to find anything to suggest this having been researching for a few years and have come to brick wall.

William Thompson married Mary Jane Wilkinson 1899 Kilrea after marriage went to live Ballyvennox their only child born 1900 Ballyvennox Bapt June 1901 Macosquin Pres Church.
On marriage cert states father Robert farmer Ballyvennox
Have the will for Robert died 1890 not probated to 1901 leaving what he had to William stating his son as farmer, depending when he made will William would have been at least teenage years? Which would put him a few years older than Mary Jane. I know they left the land.
Mary Jane & son William left sometime between 1901 and 1911 as I have found them living with her parents in census 1911 Antrim so I think she may have left him and not the otherway around.
Do not know if he was only child haven't been able to find his fathers marriage although have seen a few for Robert Thompson not sure if at Macosquin.
Williams grandfather William possibly married to a Margaret is in Griffiths Valuation living at Ballyvennox, 1858-1859
I think grandparents children may have been Robert, William, James
found a bapt record Macosquin Pres church for James about 1840-1842 and Latitia 1829 born to William & Margaret.?Cemetery records Macosquin for Thompson Unknown.
The witness in marriage to Mary Jane & William was a Robert J McKeag I don't know the connection but think Robert McKeag born Aghadowey.
Also have found Robert J McKeag on Ulster convenant for Coleraine Town also a Wm Thompson (which is how he signed his name on marriage cert and birth cert of son.  so possibly this is him.
No point in ordering a death certificate for William Thompson without some sort of date for birth or death.
Possibility now 1911 census for Coleraine town which maybe give me an age at least.
So would be helpful to me is someone may be researching so I cannot to siblings, dates of birth, marriages to parents etc,
Thanking you

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Thompson Ballyvennox
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 08 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Have lots of Thompson information but not much on Ballyvennox ones. Had a quick look through Macosquin baptisms, etc.

PRONI has following which is probably the Robert Thompson you referred to:
Administration of estate [not Will] of Robert Thompson late of Ballyvennon [Ballyvennox] farmer... died 8 Aug.1890...granted to William Thompson farmer.

Macosquin Presbyterian Church baptisms list 4 children for William Thompson and Margaret, Ballyvennox:
1. Robert bapt. 1 Dec.1826
2. Letitia bapt. 26 Aug.1829
3. Kennedy bapt. 26 May 1837
4. James bapt.29 Jun 1841
Unfortunately there is a large gap in baptismal records in 1850s.
Register also lists William born 19 Nov.1900 bapt. 20 May 1901 son of William Thompson and Jeannie Wilkinson which you already have.

Have you looked to see if there's a Thompson, Ballyvennox headstone in either Macosquin Presbyterian Churchyard or Macosquin Parish Churchyard?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 February 08 13:41 GMT (UK) »
1901 census for Ballyvennox shows a James Thompson farmer unmarried age 58 (possibly son of William and Margaret that was bapt. in 1841).

Offline vowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 February 08 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for all of those dates it is now as I started to suspect he was much older than I originally thought gives me a better time frame.
Yes I looked in the Macosquin graveyard there were Thompson's different name but there were 2 Unknown Thompsons so they may be connected.
Thought I may look through 1911 census for Coleraine order from LDS, but have discovered there are 4 films just for Coleraine Town , the Wm Thompson that signed the Ulster Covenant did so at Coleraine Town Hall so I suppose, he really could have been from any part  of Coleraine.
Thanks again for doing that for me, I may now be able to start looking again.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 February 08 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes I looked in the Macosquin graveyard there were Thompson's different name but there were 2 Unknown Thompsons so they may be connected.
Which churchyard?- Presbyterian or Parish. If you have a note of any names from headstones I might be able to figure out which townland they were from.

Offline vowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 February 08 03:55 GMT (UK) »
I put Macosquin Londonderry in search engine comes up with 5 Thompson not sure what cemetery two unnamed but I am pretty they would have been Presbyterian
Also have been thinking about Administration of estate wording could that possibly mean William Thompson son may have been under 21, so no will and had to wait while it is sorted, and was trying to think why would there be 11 years wait for probate.
 Really actually always trying to work out times for parents marriage and his birth, but think maybe his parents married and he was born maybe in 1850's when there was a large gap in baptism registers.
Also his father Robert may have married in the wife's parish elsewhere which was usually the way.
Thanking you again for helping

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 February 08 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Did you search for Thompson + Macosquin on Irishgenealogy site? Many Presbyterians are buried in Chuch of Ireland graveyards so both would need to be checked.
'Administration of estate' means there was no will and the estate then had to be settled according to law.

Offline vowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 February 08 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes will check out the cemeteries, and I thought maybe that is what the administration would be about, so will go down another avenue you have given me I think I may have found  his aunt's Letitia Thompson's marriage, so will go down that path at least that is more uncommon name to go with Thompson, which there are plenty.
Thanking you again