Author Topic: railway accident info please  (Read 9006 times)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: railway accident info please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
cell, looks BRILLIANT!!!! no - don't know of him - could well be related. am trying to cotact. will keep you posted.
thanks  :D
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 11:49 GMT (UK) »
hi folks, just a quick update on Thomas Charlton for those kind enough to have tried to help.
I was unable to contact the other rootsweb person who was doing the same search in 2002 - his email is no longre valid. :-[
However newcastle city library have just rung and a very kind lady has got the newspaper articles and coroners report of the accident and is sending them asap!! :D
I have also requested on inter-library loan the book 'signals to danger' which covers railway accidents in the area at the time.

So  i am moving forward once more. Thanks everyone for their help.
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Merryhampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 18:16 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that the accident was one which did not entail a Board of Trade Inquiry, and hence a published report.  There is no mention in the Railways Archive accident database (www.railwaysarchive.co.uk) nor in "19th Century British Railway Accidents" by John Dixon.  The latter is regarded as the definitive list of all BoT accident reports published 1840-1900.  Likewise there is no mention in J. Alan Wells' "Signals to Danger".  Therefore, I assume that the accident was one which the Railway Inspectorate would have classified as an Employment Accident, investigated after 1902 by an Employment Inspector as opposed to an Inspecting Officer, and for which no report would be published, although a report of the investigation would be sent to the employer.

There are several possible sources of information from local newspapers, but the Evening Chronicle will provide no information as it was not founded until 1885.  The main local newspaper was, and still is the Newcastle Journal founded in 1832 and based at Thompson House, Groat Market, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1ED Tel. 0191-232-7500   Fax 0191-232-8869.  They will have file copies and might well look out the information you want and forward it to you.

Other local newspapers of the period were (i) the Newcastle Chronicle 1764-1963 and (ii) the Gateshead Observer 1837-1886.  Tyne and Wear Archives may have copies on microfiche, but copies are held at the British Library Newspaper Library in Colindale, London.  Tyne & Wear Archives address is Blandford House, Blandford Square, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1  4JA  Tel 0191-277-2248   Fax 0191-230-2614  (www.tyneandweararchives.co.uk).  They might well have information from other sources and are worth contacting.

A good contact would be with the local coroner for the City of Newcastle who is based at Bolbec Hall, Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1  1SE.  If he has no record, then the other two local coroners with jurisdictions adjoining Newcastle City are (i) North Tyneside who is based at 3 Stanley Street, Blyth NE24  2BS, and deals with inquests on the north bank of the Tyne outwith the city boundary and (ii) Gateshead and South Tyneside based at 35 Station Road, Hebburn, Tyne & Wear NE31  1LA and deals with all deaths on the south bank of the Tyne.  Bearing in mind that coroners jurisdictions have been rearranged on a number of occasions there is a possibility that the accident occurred in an area covered by a County Durham Coroner, and if this is so, your point of contact would the the North Durham Coroner who is based at Post Office House, Elliott Street, Crook, County Durham  DL15  8QH.

Other possible information sources are :-
Ken Hoole Study Centre, North Road Station, Darlington, where the North Eastern Railway Association have their archive and library.  I've looked through my library list but cannot see any likely sources.  However, material arrives on a regular basis and they may well have relevant material which was not noted in my copy of the library list.

National Archives (Public Record Office) at Kew.  There are a few possibilities in class RAIL 527, the most likely of which I've noted below :
   RAIL527/13 Minutes of Directors Meetings 1869-1872
   RAIL527/66 Minutes of the Traffic Committee 1871-1874
   RAIL527/139 Chairman's Business Book 1871-1873
   RAIL527/251 Rough Minutes Book for Board Meetings 1871-1873
There might also be a staff record in existence at Kew, although many of these were lost in a fire at Newcastle (Central) in the 1950's,  my own family's records being among those lost.

Another possible source of information might be the Railway Returns to the Board of Trade and the Parliamentray Papers series.  Copies of these should be available in the Copyright Deposit Libraries (British Library, National Library of Scotland, Bodleian, Cambridge University etc).  I know there is a fairly complete set of Railway Returns in the National Archives for Scotland at West Register House in Edinburgh.

Finally, the National Railway Museum might have information in the documents held in its collection. 

If there is anything else you need information on, don't hesitate to get in touch by e-mail (I might just be able to help.  Moderator Comment:  Email address removed to prevent spamming.  Please use the personal message system.
North Eastern Railway and constituents history and personalities.
Railway accidents.
London & North Eastern Railway history and personalities.

Offline Merryhampton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 February 08 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Just found this link to Tyneside Charltons. I remembered seeing it when seeking Tyneside information in connection with LNER.   It might be a related branch of the family.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/charlton_railways/
page1.html

North Eastern Railway and constituents history and personalities.
Railway accidents.
London & North Eastern Railway history and personalities.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 18:37 GMT (UK) »
many thanks - it will take some time to take all that in. I have now seen the local newspaper reports/coroners report and also 'signals to danger'.
I have also been in contact with the NArchives as stated earlier but would have to wait as the records are being used.