Author Topic: Old photos in old frames  (Read 12272 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Old photos in old frames
« on: Sunday 03 February 08 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Photos:
I have found 20 to 30 old photos in old frames in Mums loft. They are dusty and covered in grime. Is it OK to take all the photos out and put in archive albums or should they all remain in the old frames (which creates a storage problem)?

Documents:
After spending 3 years or more researching the family tree I also found about 12 BMD certificates. The earliest is a birth and baptism certificate 19 Dec 1828. This is a bit dirty after being in the loft for years in a suitcase. I intend to put it in an albumn (S & N Genealogy Supplies). The other option is to scan/photocopy it and put the original in a box. Am I taking the wrong option?

Other:
I have jewelry, medals, two 1920s dresses, a set of bowling balls, an army uniform, a wedding dress, loads of other bits and bobs. What am I supposed to do with it all? Should I keep it all?

I am so lucky getting all these photos and documents but they do create a headache in where to store them and how.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old photos in old frames
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 08 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

If I were you, I would talk to Prue about the best method of removing these photos and preserving them.  Prue is a professional restorer and I doubt there is anything she doesn't know about preserving photos and the best care to give them.

Cheers
Caz

PS Prue's user name is PrueM if you want to do a search and send her a pm.

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 February 08 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cazza

Thanks for your reply. I must admit I hoped Prue would reply when she comes online. In a way my query is a bit daft as it sounds as though I am worried about decrease in the value but for what I have I would never part with any way.

Jane

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 February 08 23:48 GMT (UK) »
If you don't want to wait for Prue, there's a conservation tutorial at the top of the board, that's mostly Prue's material, I think.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 February 08 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Jane , I have dust in my loft !    :'(

You have a genealogical goldmine .   :o :o :o

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 February 08 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am so fortunate but this is now it. No more lofts to crawl in. But I have got back to about 1720s in all 4 Grandparents. After that the registers exist but are not accurate enough to work out the direct history 100%.

Jane

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 February 08 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Jane

There's a good chance Prue will be along soon as she is an Aussie girl and it's 10.30am here.

China is right though about the tutorial.

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 February 08 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have read the tutorials but the finds of this weekend cover so many diferent items. I know all about acid free and keep away from light but what is the point of having these treasures if we have to bury them away in boxes for ever.

I know the certificates should be wrapped in 'cotton wool' and buried in a box but if I put them in the S & N albumns will they be 90% ok and really used and treasured?  Also am I commiting sacrilege if I throw away all the old frames? Its not the value of the pictures I am bothered about as I would never part with them but am I commiting a terrible sin by parting the photos with their original frames and then throwing the frames away? The frames are not particularly spectactuar but are of the period. Some are lovely plastic and other are of scratched wood etc.

Jane

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 February 08 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Well...personally speaking, I wish we lived close enough so you could throw those frames my way !  ;) ;D

I don't know, but I don't think I could throw them away myself, purely based on age.

If I see Prue on the board today, I'll point her in your direction.

Cheers
Caz