Author Topic: Old photos in old frames  (Read 12274 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Old photos in old frames
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 February 08 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue

Thanks for all the advice. I will try to follow it closely. I have got some albums from genealogy supplies with plastic pockets. One is a long one for long certificates. One of the certificates is 1828 and has split on the fold. I called in at the archives and they have given me the name of a local firm who restore paper and books. They use a liquid paper apparently to support where it is tearing. I have a selection of brushes from a old shaving brush to my best watercolour sable brushes so I'm sure one will be ideal.

The idea of taking a photo on a hanger for the dresses is good unles they fit me and then I will model them. I haven't found any acid free tissue paper yet or proper cardboard? boxes to store things in. If you know any good suppliers in the UK please let me know.

With the photos I think I will keep a few of the best frames and scan and improve the copies and put them on the wall and put the originals in the albums.

It is a good idea to consider donating items to local museums/archives. When I have sorted everything out I will see what I don't want to keep. One advantage is nearly all my family are Nottinghamshire so it is all interlinked. At least I won't throw it in a skip which I presume happens to alot of house clearances.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 February 08 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
most art supliers have acid free papers including tissue.
I even found acid free tracing paper which I use as spacer pages when I make my own albums.
Good luck with your restorations.
 :)
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 February 08 23:04 GMT (UK) »
I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that we all wish we had this sort of problem to resolve!  A wonderful treasure trove the like of which make me green with envy!
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 February 08 21:03 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely find.  I've  just cleared out my Grandparents house, when they moved into a care home, it's difficult and sad throwing stuff out, but its always a problem of space.
I was going to make the same suggestion as Prue, about scanning the photos to hang on the wall and putting the originals away in albums. 
And for goodness sake think carefully before throwing any of those frames away - unless they are really awful and tatty.  I work in a picture framers, so believe me when I say, frames are expensive, and like everything else you can only buy what's fashionable, so it's really difficult to recreate a period look for your photos.  My other tip is, if you do decide to leave any originals in frames - take them to a decent framers and get them cleaned up and new backs and possibly mounts put on - some of the old paper, mounts and backs in pictures are rather acidic and will damage photos in time, also the tape they would have used at the time.  You can get conservation standard mounting board to mount the pic and put behind it as a barrier. It's a bit costly and only necessary for very precious pictures.  The regular mounting board (or mat) is acid neutral, so shouldn't cause any damage.
Goodness, I'm going on a bit!
My main reaction to the vast quantity of stuff I've had to deal with house clearing, is to wait a while and think about what to do with it. My garage and spare room are stuffed full.  I feel obliged to keep things handy in case my grandparents want them, (although they both have Alzhiemers and have forgotton about most of it) but  I guess that things will gradually get dispersed around the family. 
By the way, where did you get the long pockets for marriage certs?

Julie
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 February 08 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

Such similar circumstances so I know how you felt. The one precious photo which I am about to post on this board is of my greatgrandfather. If you look at it you will see it has those dreadful spots on it. I need to find a photo restorer in Nottingham, I could ask again at the archives but if anyone knows of one please let me know.

The long album and pockets are from
S & N

http://www.genealogysupplies.com/

I don't know much about storage suppliers so it was the 1st firm I found. I hope to use them this weekend but they look OK.

I have only taken this one photo out of its frame so far and when restored etc I will put it in an album and put a print in the frame as suggested by Prue. I have great faith in the restorers on this board.I used to ove it when I used to do it but don't have the time these days.

Jane

Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 February 08 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Jane, if you go to the Conservation Register:
http://www.conservationregister.com/index.asp
you should be able to find an accredited conservator in your area.  :)

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 February 08 22:37 GMT (UK) »
How ever much effort we put into conserving fabric and paper, I think it's really important that everything is scanned and/or photographed, with scale given.  Nothing can make paper and fabric last forever, and our grandc hildren will thank us for making proper records. I have my Grandma's wartime ID card and school certs for her aunts and uncles in the 1900's, I can store them safely but they won't last forever.  I am really overwhelmed by the volume of paper I have to look after at the moment, as well as the fact that quite a few of the people mentioned in these artefacts are still alive.  I think it is important to preserve as much information as possible- your ancestors will thank you for it!
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;