Author Topic: Campbell's of Articlave/1901 Census  (Read 10786 times)

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Campbell's of Articlave/1901 Census
« on: Monday 04 February 08 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello all as you can guess from the subject title I'm doing a bit of research on the Campbells from Articlave. My great great grandfather was a William Campbell who was married to a Margaret Dinsmore. They had 5 of a family and I have managed to find the Baptism records for all but the oldest who was also named William.I have been to the registrars office in Coleraine an done a search for the marriage but the best they can come up with is a James Campbell to a Margaret Dinsmore in 1880. The date seems like it could be right as I think the eldest was born around 1884 but are there any other checks I could carry out to verify that James and William are the same man?
Would the 1901 census help and if so how could I go about checking it without trecking all the way to Belfast?
Articlave area, Campbell, Baird, Watton, McNabb, Ross and Bell

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell's of Articlave/1901 Census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 08 18:01 GMT (UK) »
IGI lists James Campbell and Maggie Dinsmore as parents of James Campbell born 23 Nov.1880 Coleraine dist.

Not sure where you live but Ballymena Library has 1901 census for Co. Londonderry and Co. Antrim. Microfilms are now in 1st floor of main Library at Pat's Brae (just down street from Tower Centre)- staff are very helpful but if you do decide to go there would suggest phoning ahead to reserve a microfilm reader/printer.

Have you tried searching for the Campbells in Ulster Covenant signatures on PRONI site? They also have abstracts from Will Indexes for certain years.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 08 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey,
I'm living in Ballymoney at the minute so  a wee trip to Ballymena is better than a treck to the city.
I have found members of the family on the Ulster Covenant site including my great grandfather.
Forgive my ignorance but what is IGI?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 08 18:46 GMT (UK) »
International Genealogical Index which is part of LDS site (www.familysearch.org)

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 March 08 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello all as you can guess from the subject title I'm doing a bit of research on the Campbells from Articlave. My great great grandfather was a William Campbell who was married to a Margaret Dinsmore. They had 5 of a family and I have managed to find the Baptism records for all but the oldest who was also named William.I have been to the registrars office in Coleraine an done a search for the marriage but the best they can come up with is a James Campbell to a Margaret Dinsmore in 1880. The date seems like it could be right as I think the eldest was born around 1884 but are there any other checks I could carry out to verify that James and William are the same man?
Would the 1901 census help and if so how could I go about checking it without trecking all the way to Belfast?

From www.emeraldancestors.com

Record Type Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage 12 Aug 1880
Groom Name james CAMPBELL
Bride Name margaret DINSMORE
Church Killowen Church of Ireland
Parish Killowen
Civil District Coleraine
County Londonderry

(nothing for a William Campbell)

OTTO

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 March 08 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Otto,
I have the same info. but I'm not sure he's the guy I'm looking for. I was thinking William could be a William James but I have since got a copy of the 1901 census and don't think I can make any sort of positive link.

Regards,
Brncam

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 March 08 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Otto,
I have the same info. but I'm not sure he's the guy I'm looking for. I was thinking William could be a William James but I have since got a copy of the 1901 census and don't think I can make any sort of positive link.

Regards,
Brncam

I had a few credits left with Scotlands people, so I had a look there and I think I've found their marriage in St Mary's Church Port Glasgow Scotland on 1st April 1884.
I have the certificate, and will try to attach or send by PM.

From what i can decipher from the record :
Wlliam was aged 23 , a Coachman, father was Robert Campbell, a labourer(deceased) , his mother was Margaret Campbell , maiden surname Craig.

Margaret was aged 22, a domestic servant, father was William Dinsmore, a labourer, her mother was Martha Dinsmore maiden surname Pollock.

I had a look for their parents marriages and found this one :

27th Oct 1857 Robert Campbell married Margaret Anne Craig at Dunboe Church of Ireland in the Parish of Dunboe Civil District Coleraine County Londonderry .

incidentally if they lived in the Dunboe area, you may be able to find them in the census fragments at : http://www.rootsweb.com/~nirldy/dunboe/1831cen/1831indx.htm

I suspect the First child William was born there, but as you can imagine William Campbell is a very common name in Scotland and there is an abundance of births with that name. There are however only three births in Port Glasgow district for 1884, and I suspect one of them is your William.
If you go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk , you can buy credits and search.
As to why they were in Scotland, I suspect that the first child was on the way as in the case of my Ggrandparents.

GOOD LUCK
OTTO

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 March 08 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Well done OTTO- that would certainly explain why the birth couldn't be found in Co. Derry.

Offline BrnCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 March 08 12:55 GMT (UK) »
OTTO that's a great bit of detective work, if Robert Campbell is William's father that opens up my search. There is a couple of Campbell families in the area and I think I've come across a Robert but didn't have any link to my Campbells.
Many thanks for your help, I'll have a smile on my face all day now!