Author Topic: Look up Request Quebec, Canada  (Read 3016 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request Quebec, Canada
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nennefer,

Sorry about that, I forgot the side wasn't indexed.  On www.ancestry.ca the 1851 is  :-[

I sent you a pm with the details of district and sub district, so if you go to http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/1851/001005-100.02-e.html and put the information in I sent you, you should be able to see the original census.

Please let us know what the birth certificate says for Mary Ann when you get it.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps they were married in Quebec and perhaps Mary Jane's birth will give you an exact location and you can narrow it down  :-\

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline Nennefer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Samson Hedges
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 23:19 GMT (UK) »
How many times can I say Thanks KarenM I got it the 1851 census up and I am so impressed. I most certainly will let you know what Mary Jane's Birth Cert. says. It should be about a week before it arrives, Fingers crossed.
I'm so excited. Thanks to you this has been a GREAT day.
Excellent work and so well done.  ;D ;D ; That's what me and my husband look like right now.
PRINGLE.  Middlesex, London
WELLS. Norwich, Norfolk
HEDGES. Kent, Essex and Sussex
EATON. Staffordshire

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 22:37 GMT (UK) »

Hi Nennefer !

I was checking the National Archives to see if I could find Charles' service records but as he's not listed in the index to the microfilm service papers covering men discharged before the end of 1854 ..... you will either have to visit Kew or employ a researcher to see if his papers are in WO97 for men discharged before the end of 1872 ... I did find this but it's  long shot as so many records were destroyed I'm afraid in WW2 !  :-\

Title
Ordnance Office, Military Branch, and War Office: Royal Artillery Records of Service and Papers
Covering dates
1755-1917
Separated material
Only 314 volumes are now held in WO 69. The remaining items, chiefly records of services of non-effectives, (WO 69/178-550), were transferred to Chelsea Hospital in 1923 and are believed to have been destroyed during the Second World War.
Held by
The National Archives, Kew

There are the Muster and Pay Lists that can be checked but again you can't do it on line ! :-\

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

There are a few people on this site who will do a search for you .... if you think you may be interested !

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Nennefer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Samson Hedges
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 February 08 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your efforts liverpool annie the information is much appreciated. I must confess to having no idea as to weather the military records are worth searching nor any idea as to what type of information they would hold. Although i'm sure it would be of great interest. I'm not sure I would know what to look for even.
Again this is an area where I totally lack any knowledge and experience. I really haven't a clue.
It's not likely I will ever get to Kew but I will keep the information you have found for me on file for the future.
Thank you very much indeed.
WELLS. Norwich, Norfolk
EATON. Staffordshire

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 February 08 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Here is the Baptism record transcribed for your Mary Jane

Quebec Garison Anglican Church, 1866, 13th leaf
Mary Jane, daughter of Charles Tinker, a Bombardier in the Royal Artillery and Elizabeth his wife by her maiden name Rice. Born on the Twenty Second day of February One Thousand Eight Hundred and Sixty Six was Baptised on the First day of April immediately following
By me D. Robertson M.A.
Chaplain to H.M. Forces
The Parents are C. Tinker  Elizabeth Tinker
The Sponsors are Joseph Tinker and Jane Delaney who have hereunder signed their names
J. Tinker
Jane Delaney

Cheers,
Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Nennefer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Samson Hedges
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 February 08 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Thats Fantastic. How you found that I could never guess. What a find. Thank you so much. That is great. Now I am wondering who Joseph Tinker and Jane Delaney are. Two new names to play with  family perhaps? Hmmm. Interesting.  ;D
WELLS. Norwich, Norfolk
EATON. Staffordshire

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 February 08 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Great Job Linda!

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 February 08 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Karen.

She had the birth city as Quebec Garison refers to Quebec City and not the province, so I located it rather easily in Drouins. There was no marriage in the Garison church nor other Anglican churches of Quebec City, so it is likely they married in the one Elizabeth Rice attended, so knowing her denomination and residence at the time of marriage would help. Knowing where Charles was stationed from 1861-1865, would at least help identify or confirm marriage place as well and of course, if ever the 1861 census for Quebec is indexed might help in finding Elizabeth in 1861.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby