Author Topic: Offer: FAR EAST VIC: Photograph or lookup  (Read 6208 times)

Offline tristiw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Offer: FAR EAST VIC: Photograph or lookup
« on: Thursday 07 February 08 02:58 GMT (UK) »
I am inspired by everyone's generosity to offer to photograph locations/gravestones in Far East Gippsland. 

I regularly travel from Bairnsdale to the NSW border and am happy to help people out by photographing what you need or by looking things up in local history collections.

It's no trouble.  I have many local history connections and know where lots of cemeteries are (even the small ones where there's no towns anymore).

cheers, Tristi
RIDGWAY - England & Australia
WOERZ (WÖRZ) - Australia, Palestine, West Germany

Find out about the search at:
http://missingevelyn.wordpress.com
Why spend a lifetime wondering?

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FAR EAST VIC: Offer to Photograph or lookup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 08 04:15 GMT (UK) »
A big pat on the back for you  ;D  As I said on another post today - it is this attitude that makes rootschat such a great site.........and I may be asking a favour if you are able to find your way around the Bairnsdale cemetery ;)  Be in touch.

Cheers for now
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tristiw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 08 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Bairnsdale cemetery - know it well (sadly).  I'll be going that way in the next few days and then again towards the end of Feb.  Just say the word and I'll be there.

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 March 08 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Dear Tristi ;D
  I would be so very grateful, if anytime in the future you would be around the Bruthen area of gippsland. Most of my earliest Davidson ancestors settled in Bruthen and Stratford areas of Gippy ;D.
  I have details on names and death dates of 2 of my Davidson's ,so if this offer is still available..  ;I'd be  ;D ;D ;D 8) :-* :-* :-* :-* .
         Thanks ........cheers from Chrissy in Perth.
Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.

Offline tristiw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 01:48 GMT (UK) »
I should be going through Bruthen in the next few weeks.  I'll also be near Stratford sometime in the next 6 months.  Post or personal email the details and I'll see what I can do.  Cheers, Tristi

Offline tristiw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 April 08 11:29 BST (UK) »
Chrissy from Perth...

Success!!! I found the headstones you were after and photographed them.  I am currently downloading them and will personal mail them.

I thought it would be another trip where I didn't find anything.  Having never been to the Bruthen Cemetery before, I just looked for the biggest hill in the oldest part of town and it was there (Bruthen isn't exactly a metropolis though).

I parked in the South Western corner and worked my way through the cemetery, reading every stone.  I was starting to get dissappointed and there was only a little group left up in the north eastern corner.  When I arrived it was a family group of all the people you were looking for. 

I know there's lots of those family members still in East Gippsland.  You mentioned your pop enlisted in WWI from Bairnsdale - his name may be on the Bairnsdale cenotaph.

Also, there's still heaps of older buildings in Bruthen - it seems to be a town untouched by time (or renovations), so if you want me to photograph anything (post office, school, farmhouse) etc) let me know.  I go through it quite regularly.

Cheers, Tristi

Offline chrissy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 14:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Tristi ;D
 Thank you from the bottom of my heart for going and checking out the Bruthen cemetery for Me. :-*.These Davidsons have become very special to me ,and being on the other side of Oz, its a bit tricky,to just"duck "out and get to some things!
 Also....Your little boy is an Angel!!!!!.He thought the graves looked a bit Bare,and put a little stick,pebble,and a flower on the graves of Tom and Jane.....cos' he wanted to!!
 Its amazing to think ,1 piccie,could answer questions from Dunoon scotland, to a beautiful cemetery in The High Country of Australia.
   The kindness of Rootschatters is once again.....Glorious!
        Thanks so much....Have a great day...cheers from Chrissy.
Davidson,Payne/Paine-Dunoon/Glasgow/scotland,Sherlock-cheshire,king -female convict-7 years nsw,french-tasmania,sewell-hubbys side,O brien- Cochrane-guernsey-india .Morehouse-Kirkburton-yorkshire. Gippsland-davidson,flood,baker,rose.Chambers..Bungaree.Chambers ..county clare,Kane county clare.