Author Topic: Crookston  (Read 972 times)

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Crookston
« on: Thursday 07 February 08 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear All
I'm interested in finding out about the origins of the town Crookston in New Zealand.
My ggg Grandfather whose name was William Wilson travelled from Ireland to Australia over to New Zealand and then back to Australia where he lived out the remainder of his days.
However, he married Mary Brown in Victoria in 1864. Mary's mother's maiden name was Jemima Crookston, Scottish of course.
Thus I wondered was there any connection between the town, the person and my ggg's travels and marriage or is it all simply a huge coincidence?
If someone could point me in the direction of any literature on the history of the settlement I would be most grateful
Regards
Wren

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Crookston
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 08 15:57 GMT (UK) »
If I had to guess, I'd say it was named after Crookston in Scotland, probably by a settler who came to the Otago region from that area. A local library might be able to help further.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Leatham

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 08 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Extract from " N.Z. Index 1912 "
Crookston, Otago. A small farming district, 107 miles south-west from Dunedin. Rail to Heriot, thence five miles. Trout fishing,deer shooting. Good roads. No hotel or private board. Was known formerly as Crookston Flat or McKellar's Flat. Deer stalking on Blue Mountains, one mile. Post and telephone. Named after early surveyor. Nearest doctor at Tapanui, eight miles.

Offline wren

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 February 08 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Dear Leatham and Jorose

Thanks. I need to follow this surveyor and see just what his Crookston line was. I did some work with the igi for Scotland last night and found the connections somewhat inaccurate. Dates conflicted severely. So I'll have to widen my circle of reference. Thanks for the info.
Wren ;)

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 November 08 21:03 GMT (UK) »

In the interests of good housekeeping, I’ve moved this post to completed.

Assistance has been provided …….