Author Topic: KRRC 1918  (Read 6383 times)

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: KRRC 1918
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 February 08 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again harribobs, I guess it's something that will remain unknown.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 February 08 16:50 GMT (UK) »
you may be able to find out more through the KRRC chronicles or the 9th bttn War Diaries, copies of both are available at the Royal Green Jackets Museum, Peninsula Barracks, Romsey Road, Winchester, SO23 8TS

it's also possible that his service record may have survived (30% chance) which again may help. you would need a visit or a researcher for the National Archives to look for it

hope this has helped in your understanding of Stanley's death

chris

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 February 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Maddie
as it is, either his grave was lost ( as the battleground were fought over again or simply not marked) or his body/grave were never identified

Tend to agree with Harribob's explanation.   :(

On a brighter note he has provided you with some good leads to further your research.  ;)
Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 February 08 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Chris & atom. You have both helped no end & given me plenty of scope to look further. I have looked on Ancestry for any records but unfortunately neither Jack's, Stanley's or even my Grandfathers have turned up so I think Adolph put paid to them. :'(

I do appreciate all you have given me & thanks again.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 01:47 GMT (UK) »
9th KRRC

19-3-18:- On the 19th we took over from the 5th Oxs & Bucks L.I. in the line. On the 20th at 2.40p.m. the following was received at Brigade H.Q., "Battle Zone Take Precautionary Action"
Intelligence had timed the great German offensive to the hour though this was scarcely realized at the time.
On receipt of these orders by battalion, Captain Griffiths took "D" Company from Les Sautes dugouts and manned the Lambay Switch.
At 4.40 a.m. on the 21st an intense bombardment was opened on the Battalion front and rear areas. Communication lines were broken at once. Mist made visual communication impossible. The bombardment lasted until about 9.30 a.m., gas shells being much used during the last two hours. The German infantry then came over in small columns - apparently on our left and not on our front. The first warning was their appearance moving down the road from St. Quentin.
Our "A" and "C" Coys were either killed, wounded or captured to a man. A few men from "B" Company escaped together with "B" Company commander Captain Webber who was wounded early.
At the 11th hour "Funny Works" and "Forty Works" also Bn. H.Q. in "Excellent" were reported by Colonel Bury to be holding out.
At 11.20 a.m. "D" Company had seen no sign of the enemy but soon afterwards small enemy columns began to press forward into the Bois De Lambay and on over the Orviliers - Lambay Ridge.
At 12.10 a.m. a pigeon message from Colonel Bury stated that Battalion H.Q. was still holding out.

No further news was received

Two men from "D" Company escaped and it would appear that the Lambay position was not seriously attacked until about 2 p.m. by which time the enemy had reached Benay and our battle zone thus cutting off entirely Laubay Farm and "D" Company.

I hope this helps you with the fate of the entire Company apart from two men.

Andy
The Rifle Brigade in WW1, particularly the 8th Battalion.

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Ironically I was only just walking over this area two weeks ago looking at the 8th & 9th Rifle Brigade's positions.
The information came from:- "A record of the 9th (Service) Battalion of the K.R.R.C. 1914 - 1918" by the Battalion Intelligence Officer (Eric Barlow)

Andy

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

Many, many thanks for all the information on the battle where Stanley was killed. I had no idea the whole Btn had been virtually wiped out. It's a very descriptive narrative & certainly answers my question on how & where he died.

How strange that you should have been to the very place such a short while ago.

I'm very grateful for your help & shall pass on the info to Jack Beament's son as I know he will be very interested in anything to do with the KRRC.

Regards
Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline Andy Pay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddie,
Glad that the information was of use to you. Not sure that wiped out is the right term, many would have been captured as their positions were over-run or wounded and captured. Many units that were in the frontal positions would have suffered the same fate as they were over-run. Casualties in this period of time in the war are difficult to track down due to the nature of the advance.

I will check the 14th Divisions War Diary to see if there is a little bit more as I have this on my secondary hard drive.

Andy

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Andy

Yes, you are right, perhaps I should have said demolished rather than wiped out.  ;)

I do appreciate the trouble you are going to & if there is any more info you have on Jack or Stanley I would be very grateful.

Many thanks again.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire