Author Topic: mullen of kilmarnock,  (Read 27610 times)

Offline robmullen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: mullen of kilmarnock,
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 February 08 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Cheers for this Ambly.. on cerificate it stated ann mullen m.s fisher. and and both deceased, it sounds like its gettin complicated abit... wonder if i could send for johns certificate.?
Mullens & McAllisters

Offline robmullen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 February 08 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly me again, i found something on ann fisher. i noticed on francis;s death certificate he lived at 13 Welbeck street, and found this census for ann fisher ,1891 Scotland Census 1891 Scotland Census
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

i noticed its the same street do you think these could be relations of sorts?..

Mullens & McAllisters

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 February 08 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob  ;D

Well it could be a relation of some sort - but it may just be one of those co-incidences of place and name. I also found  one of the names (a FISHER I think ) Aitkenhead Avenue, but it didn't seem right.......at least not at this stage.

And I just noticed - and this could  be more than a co-incidemce - that Rose McMAHON's family in 1891 are at 27 Fore Street, Kilmarnock....... In 1901, the McCART/McMILLAN family is at 22 Fore Street Kilmarnock ..... !

Which John's cert are you thinking of sending for? Your Grandads?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 February 08 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Rob

Just been quizzing SP again... and If the McMILLAN / McCART Family is not yours - I'll eat my hat !

Scotlands People has a death:

Ann McCART  - other surnames: MULLIN FISHER
Died Kilmarnock Ayrshire in 1908 age 50

This has to be your Francis' mother surely  ???   - and because of that 1901 Census, where your Francis (99.99% sure it's him") is down as McMILLAN, I'd have no hesitation now about the McMILLAN/McMAHON marriage.

If you wanted to get  certificates to advance the family back and sort out where/how  the McMILLAN came into it  - if it were me I'd next get:
McMILLAN / McMAHON marriage
McCART / FISHER marriage
McCART (MULLIN FISHER) death

I suppose there is slight chance that on both Francis' marriage and that 1901 Census where he is McMILLAN (99.99% sure  ;D)  - that the name is actually McMULLEN and has been mistranscribed - on both records?

Cheers  ;D
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline robmullen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 February 08 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambley, boy you bin busy..the john i was hoping to go and get was anns husband but after reading your last posting. think i will try down this avenue.i did read some were. that mcmullens when they moved from scotland to ireland, they dropped the mc, and became just mullen,mullin,mullan etc wonder if this is something simular...sure looks like it, thank you so much again for your help in aiding me..going to try today on the mcmillan/mcmahon marraige,  see what that turns up..

Image Removed.  Only a small portion of a BMD Certificate may be posted for Clarification purposes and not a whole one, as this is a breach of copyright.
Mullens & McAllisters

Offline robmullen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 February 08 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Ambly, ive just looked at that marriage on sp, mcmahon and mcmillan looks like rose and francis.. but francis's father is a robert on there. but on death certificate its a john? im gettin confused now lol..HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP oh and another strange and weird coincidence is francis on sp, lived at robertson place... on my grandfathers birth certificate he was born same place?22 robertson place..was my family dodging bailifs you think lol name changing hee hee
Mullens & McAllisters

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 February 08 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob!

Another piece of the puzzle  ;D ...I fully expected the marriage certificate NOT to state Francis' father as John MULLEN/MULLIN.  What you now have is the name of the man behind the McMILLAN part  (I assume his father is given as Robert McMILLAN!?).  Now just got to figure out who he was and where he fits in...ie: was he Ann's first husband? 2nd? Or was she ever married to him?

Some Questions:

Does the date of the marriage McMILLAN / McMAHON match the date given on the birth certificate of Grandad John  (which you posted first off on this topic)?

What occupation did it give for Robert and was he stated as deceased?

Who were the witness to that marriage?

Do Rose's parents on the certificate do tie up as John McMAHON and Rose McGRAW?

Did the marriage address say 22 Robertson or just Robertson - nevertheless, considering all the above, I'd say the odds on this marriage NOT being your Francis are extremley slim and the fact your Grandad John was later born on the same street is in this case, unlikely to be co-incidental.

Families did move often in those days - sometimes to a different house on the same street - and indeed sometimes to dodge the rent-man ;D In this case, I don't think it's a name-change per se; I think the answer will lie on where we can fit Robert in, and finding Francis birth certifitcate. One scenario is that he born to Ann and Robert McMILLAN but from a young age, the only father he ever knew was John MULLEN. 

I also note - son John gave the information for Francis' death - it's very possible your Grandad  John never ever knew of Robert McMILLAN or that Francis was ever anything else other than MULLIN.

So.....next step :

One one hand: In the McCART marriage, the one person who knew best was present - Ann. It may state she was nee FISHER formerley MULLEN and if she was ever married to McMILLAN, his name too.

On the other hand: Ann's death : we already know MULLIN and FISHER are indexed as other names she was know as - the full entry may or may not say McMILLAN aswell - if her son Francis or her husband McCART advised of the death it's possible, since we know they both must have known of McMILLAN....but then maybe neither was the informant.....

If it were me. I'd get both  ;D  but if I had to choose..maybe the marriage first?

This is a very intriguing topic  ;D Looking forward to seeing what happens next!

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline robmullen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 February 08 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly it gets deeper lol. ive got anns death certificate if you would like acopy, i think robert was her 1st husband then there was a james mclaughlin the george mccart, she died of a fractured skull by all accounts. just found all this today..oh i have francis's marraige aswell
should i post on here or send straight to you?
Mullens & McAllisters

Offline robmullen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 February 08 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hope these make more sense to, than they do me Ambly?.
Mullens & McAllisters