Author Topic: O'Brien  (Read 7219 times)

Offline caclancy

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • "Life's too short not to be Irish!"
    • View Profile
Re: O'Brien
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 October 05 19:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry I haven't answered back yet :-[. I've been away for a while.

So back to the O'Briens. I just have old some names and dates to give but I hope they will help either or both of Kerry and Ninatoo.

The Irish sept where I found the O'Brien surname was of the Dalcassian origin, which was a branch of the McNamara's, seated in north Clare and their ancestor, Cormac Cas was the son of 3rd century King of Munster, Oilioll Olum. This is where I found the  Clancy's connection to the O'Briens. The Clancys were hereditary brehons to the O'Briens who had great power in county Clare.

Apparently one of the last Clancys brehons rescued Murrough O'Brien(Chief of the Dalcassian Sept). Story goes that in 1543 Murrough returned home to County Clare after accepting a peerage from Henry VIII. The O'Brien clanmen rallied together and ambushed Murrough and was saved when this unknown Clancy( cannot find a first name) diverted the clansmen wrath elsewhere and hide Murrough to safety.  I guess in laymans terms the Clancys were not of the same class as the O'Briens.  They were bodyguards/personal policemen to the O'Briens.

Thats all I have but I find this history fascinating and I am still digging so I will keep you informed. Sorry my info isn't very accurate in the dates though, but it is interesting to say the least ;).  Have a great day.
                                        caclancy
surnames: Clancy,Horgan,Dunne,Lee,Roscoe,Loftus,Brosnan,Gorman,Filla,Eder
areas: Ireland-Cork co, Kerry co,Galway,Clare co, England-Lancashire,north England. Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh,Allegheny Co.
military: WW1,WW2,IRA and its history/Easter Rising of 1916 and the conflicts with the Black and Tans(england)

Offline Timmobrien

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Brien
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 November 21 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,  I have roots back to the O'Brien Brien's of Dunmanway and Kilberry.  DNA confirmation back to
Humphry Brien b. abt 1812 in Kilberry, Dunmanway  Married Mary Lordan b 1823Dunmanway.  Brother was Cornelius Brien b 1825 Married to Ellen Daly. Known children of Humpry/ey were Patrick b 1846, Cornelius, Joan, Humphrey Jr b 1855
Left for US abt 1857/58 for Monroe, Orange co. NY