Author Topic: Haig/Weir Family of Alloa (1)  (Read 4732 times)

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haig/Weir Family of Alloa (1)
« on: Friday 08 February 08 07:38 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

In another posting I mentioned the marriage of John Strang, who was born on 9th June, 1715 and married Janet (Jean) Haig on 30th December, 1731 at Alloa, Clackmannanshire. What researchers have been asking is, who exactly was Janet Haig? This posting will give that answer.

Alexander Haig was actually christened on 4th April, 1690 at Liberton, Midlothian and married Euphan Weir about 1710 at Alloa, Clackmannan. Euphan too had been born in Midlothian - North Leith to be precise. However, as I have stated they married at Alloa, Clackmannanshire and it was there that their family was born:

Helen Haig christened 28th October, 1712 at Alloa, Clackmannanshire
Alexander Haig christened 30th May, 1714 at Alloa, Clackmannanshire
Janet (Jean) Haig christened 1st January, 1716 at Alloa, Clackmannanshire
(Child) Haig christened 10th June, 1719 at Alloa, Clackmannanshire
George Haig christened 15th October, 1721 at Alloa, Clackmannanshire

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]Ann Haig [/color] christened 22nd January, 1727 at Alloa, Clackmannanshire
James Haig christened 3rd January, 1724 at Alloa, Clackmannanshire
Thomas Haig  christened 8th December, 1717 at Alloa, Clackmannanshire

Researchers have been given quite a few names that can now be used to research those members of the Haig family. Further, if they wish to push back further in time, perhaps a good place to start would be with Robert Haig who married a Margaret Laurie.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Haig/Weir Family of Alloa (2)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 February 08 02:06 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

In my previous posting, I suggested that those researchers who have an interest in the Haig family, may wish to have a look at Robert Haig
who married a Margaret Lawrie (or Lourie).

Their son, Alexander Haig, who married a Euphan Weir at Alloa in Clackmannan, c.1710, was actually christened on the 4th April, 1690 at Liberton, Midlothian. Alexander's daughter, Janet (Jean) Haig became the wife of John Strang.   In order to give researchers on RootsChat some additional assistance, I am happy to provide the following information:

Robert Haig was christened on the 28th November, 1652 at Newbattle, Midlothian, and married Margaret Laurie (or Lourie). They had the following children:

Adam Haig christened 24th October, 1678 at St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian,

John Haig christened 11th March, 1680 at St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian

Margaret Haig christened 3rd July, 1681 at Lasswade, Midlothian.

Janet Haig christened 24th November, 1683 at Lasswade, Midlothian.

Elizabeth Haig christened 15th December, 1685 at Liberton, Midlothian.

Alexander Haig christened 4th April, 1690 at Liberton, Midlothian.

Jean Haig christened 31st January, 1691 at Liberton, Midlothian.

Once again, I have provided quite a few names, dates and locations that may be of some assistance that can be used by other researchers to trace their ancestors back in time.

In my next posting, I shall be taking a look at the family of Euphan Weir, the wife of Alexander Haig, shown above.

Kind regards,

Tom.