Author Topic: GenesReunited advice needed  (Read 10371 times)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GenesReunited advice needed
« Reply #36 on: Monday 10 November 08 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

Sorry I don't mean to be patronizing but..........

If you are that bothered about it, close your tree to them before they have time to copy your hardwork.
Or if you have 450 names and they have 25 again close or don't open it.
Or you have an uneasy feeling about a contact, again close or don't open it - it's that simple.
As in Rootschat I will help anybody out with info, if I have it, but I know a scammer/collector/lazys*d etc if I see one on Genes.
I am safety conscious not gullible, in all aspects of online data I upload.

I've just had a request to view my tree from someone with only their name in the tree they opened up to me!

I gave them my stock answer that their relative appears on the edge of my tree and the only information I can give them is obtainable from census records.

Nice one Sheila M what a great polite reply to get rid of them. 

MancsMan

Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 10 November 08 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Mancs

I now don't open my tree to those who ask

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello MancsMan

I'm very sorry that you were upset by my comment - I just meant it as a warning about how easily people can find out stuff on-line. I haven't got my tree on the web at all, and I don't ask to see other people's trees, in general - it spoils the fun of finding things out for myself!

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 01:47 GMT (UK) »
I have been using GR since 2002 and over the years have exchanged information with many descendants of both my and my husbands relations.

In the early days some would put family members on, down to children born in the last few years.Their Trees are still open to me and now the majority are more circumspect.

I still get some genuine requests, but the ones whom I contact and have always made me very cross, are those who cannot be bothered to say "sorry, this is not my relation"

If someone contacts me and their Tree is open, then I have a quick look at the possible relation and make my judgment from there,always get back with a yea or nay and then it is their choice,because there is always that possibility that there is a link in earlier years.

4586 relations on my Personal Tree, but only 770 on GR. and I certainly do not copy(on GR) all the researches done by other relations, though I will put them as a Source. It boils down to a matter of respect and courtesy as far as I am concerned.

Spring

P.S. Rather than a GR contact, I had a recent PM on here and replied with my connection to the family. I did a search on GR and found the same person who had contacted me. Sent a message and opened my Tree. Two days and no response on GR or on Rootschat, so closed the GR link. Not everyone on here is perfect!! At least one can check on here to see if they have logged in, and this gent had, so no excuse for bad manners.

Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline GAYNOR WILKINSON

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Logdore,

I have had lots of success with Genes Reunited, I have gained lots of information on ancestors without having to search myself and at the same time others have taken information from my tree, it can be a 2-way street however, it is always better to be cautious first rather than sorry later. To put your mind at rest though, I don't think Genes Reunited display the names of living relatives.

Good Luck
Frimston Flint
Roberts Hawarden, Whitby
Iball Bistre, Hawarden
Ford Staffordshire
Scott Staffordshire
Wilkinson Cheshire

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 13 November 08 10:45 GMT (UK) »
You can set the preference to show or hide living persons within your setup on Genes, but it defaults to show, so it's up to you to hide them.
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Sheila M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 13 November 08 23:40 GMT (UK) »

I've just had a request to view my tree from someone with only their name in the tree they opened up to me!

I gave them my stock answer that their relative appears on the edge of my tree and the only information I can give them is obtainable from census records.

Nice one Sheila M what a great polite reply to get rid of them. 

MancsMan

Thanks for that!   After I posted the reply the first time I thought it was a bit rude of me.
Hall - Middlesbrough
Marrison - Worldwide
Howse - Middlesbrough, Staffordshire
Spencer - Newcastle upon Tyne
Price - Whitby
Schofield/Scorfield - Whitby
Clarkson - Jamaica, Manchester
Bennett - Shropshire, Wales
Edwards - Shopshire, Wales

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 14 November 08 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Do beware! When I first joined Genes, years ago, I put ALL my tree on their site, as I had the idea it would be safer online in case my house burnt down in a fire and destroyed my computer (I'm a bit of a drama queen!). I also opened my tree to anyone who seemed to be genuinely connected to me. As my tree was quite large it made sense to let them see it whole and work out where they fitted in. However, I found more and more people would ask for access to my tree, but when I opened theirs I found only about a dozen names on it.

What really upset me was that one contact must have spent hours copying names from my tree (even those relating to my inlaws, with no connection to them) and then opening their trees to all and sundry. This info was eventually added to other genealogy sites and if I google my surname I find dozens of trees, all replicating the mistake I made at the beginning of my research!

I now keep only a skeleton on Genes, and share information from the relevant part of my tree by email. I do want to share my research - it's stupid if we all keep reinventing the wheel, and it's a great feeling to make contact with a genuine 'relative' even if it's someone only very distantly connected.

However I have noticed lately there are a lot of people asking me to open up my tree without being able to say why. I therefore think there are people on Genes who are collecting names and information for their own purposes, which have nothing to do with being related to you.

So just be careful, is my advice.

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 21 November 08 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Bizarre, I was just about to open up a topic on this very subject.

After a couple of little successes on genes I found someone who has my Nana on her tree.... turns out she has over 13,000 names, a lot of it well referenced, but we are only related 5 generations back from my Nana!?!

I was chuffed when my tree went up to 700 at the weekend.

I'm undecided about how I feel about this. Her tree has given me a couple of different avenues to go looking in, but it looks like my Nana was just a name in her collection  :-\
Saying that I think its mostly her work as it seems to be well referenced. I made a couple of notes but Ive no intention of copying as I dont know how acurate it is.

Is it normal for family trees to work downwards from relations as well as backwards? I just stopped at grandchildren of siblings as I figeured they would still know each other, or do others normally go to g. and g.g. grandchildren?? Where would you stop???

Or am I trying to confuse myself?

Sorry  :-\

Tx