Author Topic: GenesReunited advice needed  (Read 10281 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GenesReunited advice needed
« Reply #45 on: Friday 21 November 08 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Mancs

I now don't open my tree to those who ask

Elizabeth

I'm not sure that I'd go that far.  If someone asks to see my tree, I politely ask them what relationship they are to the person in my tree they are interested in, for security reasons.  That usually weeds out the time wasters.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 21 November 08 14:58 GMT (UK) »
May I ask if any of you reply to enquirers who admit that they are not related to you?

I am working on a local history project researching war memorials, and I have contacted several people on GR who have the relevant people in their trees.  I always explain what I am doing, and offer to share everything I have already found out.  Not one has ever replied.

(Tell a lie - one did.  Said it couldn't be the same person as theirs was born somewhere else.  It is the same person.  He moved.  I gave them proof, and offered newspaper cuttings, military records, details of his children etc.  Never replied.)
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 21 November 08 15:54 GMT (UK) »
In messages I send to people I contact on GR to enquire about a possible relative,I used to always open my Tree as a matter of course.However I don't do that now and it has nothing to do with "security" issues or the fear of someone copying my research.I started receiving a lot of what is given as one of the standard replies on GR;"This is not my relative".This is a reply which is not only considered by me to be extremely discourteous,it is also a reply which defies any logic that I can apply!Oh yes I was getting those replies from people if maybe the person I enquired of was not perhaps exactly as recorded in their Tree.Maybe the Birthyear was a year or two out,or perhaps I have the Birthplace in a different area of a village than they did!

Regards
Willliam Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 21 November 08 16:42 GMT (UK) »
May I ask if any of you reply to enquirers who admit that they are not related to you?

I am working on a local history project researching war memorials, and I have contacted several people on GR who have the relevant people in their trees.  I always explain what I am doing, and offer to share everything I have already found out.  Not one has ever replied.

(Tell a lie - one did.  Said it couldn't be the same person as theirs was born somewhere else.  It is the same person.  He moved.  I gave them proof, and offered newspaper cuttings, military records, details of his children etc.  Never replied.)

Hi Cats Ears

Afraid to say I would be one of them GR'ers who would not reply, no matter what reason you gave for making contact.

*************************************************************************************

I am very happy with my tree, and always trying to add to it and confirming data I already have. But if someone else wants to look at my tree, they have to open theirs first "No opy-No Looky"  ;D is my golden rule.

If they do have a connection I will open up and invite them to copy what ever they want, but if they open up and lets say they have 13000 names I will just hit the delete contact button.

At the moment I have 40(39) open contacts, 1 of which I still need to check the connection "but they have opened their tree" and 1 by someone who asked me to open my tree before they did, this will be deleted in a few minutes, it's no skin off my nose, may even be the most important contact ever but "Oh well never mind"

But thats just me.

Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 21 November 08 17:02 GMT (UK) »
If I believe that they are related, I open my tree. If I don't, I won't.

I do think, though, that the research that I & others have spent hours on has simply been copied.
I think that some people actually regard this as research! :)

At least the info is passed on toother relatives ~ which is nice.

Some people, in their haste to add to their tree, also 'adopt' non-related people with similar names, so, unfortunately, some of the info being passsed along the branches of our tree is goimng to be incorrect.

If I was contacted by a historian, with a genuine request, then I might not open the tree ~ or I might ~ but I would certainly be happy to discuss the available information. :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 21 November 08 17:38 GMT (UK) »

Afraid to say I would be one of them GR'ers who would not reply, no matter what reason you gave for making contact.

I am very happy with my tree, and always trying to add to it and confirming data I already have. But if someone else wants to look at my tree, they have to open theirs first "No opy-No Looky"  ;D is my golden rule.

Well, there wouldn't be much point in my opening my tree if I myself have no connection with your family.  Wouldn't you be interested in info that I might have about your relative, though?

Anyway, I wouldn't necessarily want to see the tree.  Mostly I am hoping to get a photograph of the man, or perhaps a clue to when and why he moved to our area, his occupation, that sort of thing.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 21 November 08 18:06 GMT (UK) »

knew I should have left it simple - if you contacted me out of the blue I would completely ignore you, just like the other GR'ers you made contact with.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 21 November 08 18:13 GMT (UK) »
knew I should have left it simple - if you contacted me out of the blue I would completely ignore you, just like the other GR'ers you made contact with.

Surely all GR contacts are "out of the blue"?

This has been illuminating anyway.  Maybe in future I should start any message with "I do not need to see your tree".  Perhaps that will allay people's suspicions.  I have, with one exception, found all the men I'm researching in the census and BMDs, and don't need any family details.  In most cases I probably have more to give than I hope to receive.  

I never ignore anyone who contacts me on GR.  I always reply personally, it is simple courtesy and good manners.

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 21 November 08 18:39 GMT (UK) »
 ;)