Author Topic: Lees family, from Ireland to Edinburgh?  (Read 4571 times)

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Lees family, from Ireland to Edinburgh?
« on: Friday 08 February 08 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

On the 'Fife, Scotland' board I was greatly helped in tracing my direct male line ancestry. (thread: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,284150.0.html )

I discovered that Oliver Lees, my ancestor, was from Ireland. I consulted the census record itself at ScotlandsPeople and sure enough, he was from Ireland.

LEES   Oliver   M   60   (Hand Loom Weaver Damask)    Ireland       
LEES   Ann   F   25       England       
LEES   Oliver   M   12       Midlothian       
LEES   Thomas   M   8       Midlothian       
LEES   Margaret   F   2       Midlothian       
BOYLE   Bridaget   F   40   (Lodger)    Ireland       
BOYLE   James   M   4       Outside Census County (1841)       
MCMELAN   Marian   F   25   (Lodger)    Outside Census County (1841)       
ARTHURS   Jane   F   50   (Lodger)    Ireland
Address: Temple Close

However, I have had trouble in finding out where he came from and how he got to Edinburgh. I have exhausted all of my internet resources.

I assume the other Irish people in the census somehow have a relation to him.

I really don't have any experience searching for ancestors outside of Scotland and would very grateful if anyone could please help me.

Thank you.
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lees family, from Ireland to Edinburgh?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 February 08 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 February 08 16:48 GMT (UK) »
the Lees surname is English in origin - its a topographical name  Medieval English  meaning fields of arable land. it is also an English habitational name  that had a wood or clearing - such as Lees  near Ashton under Lyne and Leece near Barrow in Furness.

also connected with first name Lettice  Medieval English origin.

Scots version is aphetic form of Gillies.

Variations in other areas such of Northampton  Leeson. Leason, Lesson, Lisson.

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 08 03:31 GMT (UK) »
See other thread:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,284512.0/topicseen.html
I moved the thread on the Immigration board here, because the Irish General is a more popular board, please don't send people back to the other thread.

the Lees surname is English in origin - its a topographical name  Medieval English  meaning fields of arable land. it is also an English habitational name  that had a wood or clearing - such as Lees  near Ashton under Lyne and Leece near Barrow in Furness.

Thanks for the information Dancing Master however I was hoping more for help into finding and researching Oliver Lees in Ireland, and if there might be any records of his travel.
I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 February 08 09:52 GMT (UK) »

My Lees's, from all accounts orginate in  Ireland but moved to Scotland (Wigtownshire) c1800.  Thereby i find them as Leese, McLees and Lees all mixed up amongst siblings.  It shows how surnames can change depending on what someone wanted and in turn, sometimes not meaning at all what people think they are!  Lees is typically pointed back to the dregs of wine (oh how i got hell for that over the years :-)   It is also not an uncommon name.

Cheers
Sarndra
www.sarndra.com
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 February 08 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I have a plethora of Lees in my family and have never come across any named Oliver especially in Ireland  they hated and detested Oliver Cromwell which in itself would affect people naming their child Oliver.

If they went to Ireland they most certainly either migrated there or their grandparents etc migrated there.

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 February 08 12:16 GMT (UK) »
My Lees family seem to all have stuck to the name Lees, as I can find some of their descendants.

What I am trying to do is to trace the Lees link back to Ireland, I have searched places online using possible variations of the name Lees and cannot find any at all in Scotland at that time. I hope someone who is more familiar with Irish online genealogical resources can help me on where to go from there. :) It is difficult for me to find a starting point as I do not know what country or town he was from.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 February 08 14:54 GMT (UK) »
See other thread:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,284512.0/topicseen.html
I moved the thread on the Immigration board here, because the Irish General is a more popular board, please don't send people back to the other thread.

I put the above message in to link the two threads that are about the same family not to send people to the other board.

My Lees family seem to all have stuck to the name Lees, as I can find some of their descendants.
What I am trying to do is to trace the Lees link back to Ireland, I have searched places online using possible variations of the name Lees and cannot find any at all in Scotland at that time. I hope someone who is more familiar with Irish online genealogical resources can help me on where to go from there. :) It is difficult for me to find a starting point as I do not know what country or town he was from.
Your family and all its branches might well have used the surnames 'Lees' for generations but that doesn't mean that registrars, census enumerators, etc. couldn't have used a variation of Lees for the records. So think you need to onsider all possibilities.
Now, as to tracing the family back to Ireland- the two important bits of information need to start any Irish family research is what religion the family were (to locate church records) and where they lived (parish if not actual townland not just a county or 'Ireland'). Scottish records usually contain more details than Irish records which is why on the other thread I suggested checking Scottish certificates for clues. Unfortunately you haven't been able to find them. As it's strange that all of them would be missing that's why I suggested they might be indexed or mistranscribed under another variation of Lees.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 February 08 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Not all the Lees family are missing from records, only the ones with a direct link to Oliver (snr) from Ireland. I can find death certificates for his grandchildren on SP, as well as their marriage certificates, however there are none at all for their parents.
This is what let me to believe that Oliver (Ireland) and his following generation were perhaps Catholics, or at least not followers of the Church of Scotland, which is why they can only be found in the censuses, and nowhere else.
I'm aware that name discrepancies happen and I try keep a look out for them: I believe I've thoroughly searched for Oliver (snr) and those that he is linked to under different possible names, always without result.
I also know that having the religion and the exact place of origin in Ireland would be helpful, unfortunately I do not know either or. Please do not tell me I am at a brick wall, as there must be somewhere to go from here.