Author Topic: English Regt. in Scotland 1871  (Read 1566 times)

Offline DEKKAXX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
English Regt. in Scotland 1871
« on: Friday 08 February 08 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have a census entry for the Scottish 1871 re. my G.G.Father. He is listed as Pte. in the 5th Fusiliers as below:-
George Frost
Born: England
Occ: Pte. 5th Fusiliers
Address: Harbour St., Ayr
Can anyone tell me:-
a) what this building in Harbour St. was or is?
b) where would I find info. on the 5th Fusiliers at that time please?
Regards;
Derek ???

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: English Regt. in Scotland 1871
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 08 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 February 08 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek

The 5th Fusiliers were the 5th Regiment of Foot (Northumberland Fusiliers). The website www.regiments.org is down at present. It would be well to check them on that site later, as they often have the full list of places they were stationed.

They may have been on their way to Ireland, and the census found them while they were waiting for transport, or they may have been in Scotland at a time of ‘civil unrest’. There was a bit of that around at the time, especially around election time.

You could also try fusnorthld@aol.com. This is the contact details for their museum. They should have a copy of that regiment’s ‘Historical Records’, which lists movements of the regiment in great detail. Another source would be the Pay and Muster Lists (WO12 in Kew). Researching these is a time consuming process, especially for a regiment like the ‘5th’ as it had two battalions and a depot.

Do you have this man’s papers, or just those of his father? If he was discharged before 1873 his papers will be in WO97 at Kew (if they survive). If they cannot be found you should really check WO12 in case he transferred to another regiment.

If he was discharged after 1872 you do not need the regiment as all infantry papers are filed together in alphabetical order. See - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

Ken

Offline DEKKAXX

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 08 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,
Thank you for the info. Unfortunately I don't have his papers. He was out of the army when he got married in january 1873, but I can at least try to follow up on the records that you have suggested. As usual I shall probably have to search a bit more diligently than normal as his wedding is right on the cusp of 1872/73.
Thank You.
Regards;
Derek :)

Offline joemacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 April 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
This was Churchill Barracks, It was the home of the Royal Scots Fusiliers 21st of foot, This is now the Royal Highland Fusiliers 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Scotland.
Family names, MacDonald on my Grandfathers side, McDonald on my Grandmother's side, on my Mothers side her Maiden Name Janet Donald Maxwell, Maxwell, Weir, Scanlon, Donald, Ritchie, Smith, Sharp.

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 April 10 13:58 BST (UK) »
The 5th Fusiliers were the 5th Regiment of Foot (Northumberland Fusiliers). The website www.regiments.org is down at present. It would be well to check them on that site later, as they often have the full list of places they were stationed.
They may have been on their way to Ireland, and the census found them while they were waiting for transport...........

Well speculated Ken! 2/5th Fusiliers were in England 1867-71, then Ireland 1871-74 so I guess they were just passing through. 1st Btn was in India, so discount them.

Although that website has been down for ages, those interested may still be able to download it to use offline (as I've done). It's a great reference for some things.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 April 10 13:57 BST (UK) »
Here is the movemonts 2nd Bn of the 5th of Foot

Offline debbiecritchley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 September 23 20:40 BST (UK) »
To the person who kindly posted the movements of the Second Battalion of the 5th Foot-although some time ago-do you have the movements of the first battallion please? and is there a way of getting a list of who is in which battallion? My ancestor left the 5th foot in Feb 1871 and in August was listed on the census with Royal Artillery.
Thank you for any help.
Kind regards,
Debbie