Author Topic: Marriage & Death look up: Younie  (Read 12141 times)

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage & Death look up: Younie
« on: Saturday 09 February 08 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Looking for second marriage details of:
James Younie b 5/10/1827, Rothes

Helen/Ellen Shearer B about 1847, Dufftown - maybe Sherner? However, in 1871 Census there's an Alexander Simpson 2moth, son b Mortlach, Banffshire to Helen Sherner?  could be out of wedlock child -  looks likely????.

also any issue of their union?

Deaths of both and where buried.?

Possible he retired to Elgin.  He was an Auctioneer and Sheriff at Rothes.  Also lived on a farm called Loanside in Rothes.

Thanks, Barb

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
][/color]
Hibberd: Sheffield, Dronfield, Yorkshire; Barry: England, Echuca Victoria Australia; Reid: Dumbarton to Tasmania; Parkin: Leeds to Tasmania: Younie: Moray,Scotland to Tasmania:Horsham: England to Tasmania

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage & Death look up: Younie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 February 08 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barb,

Who did 'your' James Younie marry first - there are 2 or 3 in the timeframe in the locality.  What children?

Who did your Ellen/Helen marry first? - what details do you have on census for them.  Do you have birth or parents details for them?

The more info given the more that peope can help   :O)

The timeframe is a good one for Scottish records.

Regards,   Steve   :O)

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 February 08 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Piglet,

Hope this is enough info - thanks for your assistance.  Any further info I just might have some.  Just cannot find Helen/Ellen anywhere.

James Younie b 5/10/1827 (parents Alexander Younie and Margaret Dow)

1st wife Jane Stewart b 1835 Mortlach; married James Younie on 30/11/1853 at Rothes she died 1874  -scarlet fever

Issue:
 Margaret b 28/4/1855;  all at Rothes
 Ann 16/3/1858;
James 11/9/1860 (went to Tasmania in 1883);
Jean 12/11/1862;
Jessie 18/12/1865;
Alexander 31/8/1868;
John 13//9/1871;
George 27/1/1874 (d 6/5/1874) - scarlet fever.

2nd wife:  Helen/Ellen Shearer b about 1847 -  her parents were deceased Margaret Garrow & William Shearer - so I was told second hand! she also has a child in the 1881 census Alexander Simpson aged 10 b Dufftown where Helen/Ellen was born -

I think she was a Servant?? He was quite a bit older than her.  I have a photo of them and they had two sons in the picture who look about 17 & 19?

They married and had a 9mth old son William in 1881 census.

Census 1881:
James Younie 52 Auctioneer & Sheriff Officer, Rothes
Ellen       "       34 wife born Dufftown (helen Shearer)
Jessie     "        15 daughter to James & Jane
Alexander "       12 son                  "       "
John         "       9     son                 "       "
William      "       7mths       son to Helen and James
Alexander Simpson step-son to James

Barb
Hibberd: Sheffield, Dronfield, Yorkshire; Barry: England, Echuca Victoria Australia; Reid: Dumbarton to Tasmania; Parkin: Leeds to Tasmania: Younie: Moray,Scotland to Tasmania:Horsham: England to Tasmania

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 08 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barb,

Easy when you get the info.  :O)

Just came off the SP - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  - a govt pay per view site.  Got a copy of the marriage entry.  28 June 1879.  She was 32 a spinster and both parents deceased - names as per your info.  he was 50.  It's a good quality image.  If you send me a pm - shall send you the copy.  Although ppv, the site has a lot of searchable indexes which are free.  Also free to register and well worth it.

Regards,   Steve   :O)

An excellent free site for Moray is the Libindex:

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

Quite a lot of James Younies there - but couldn't see yours.  Well worth a visit.

(22 Alexander Simpsons on SP born 1871 - he's not no. 1, 5 or 6  :O)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 08 11:18 GMT (UK) »
hi all

second son of second marriage was robert younie born 1884 rothes
morayshire
james younie died 1909 spynie morayshire born c1827
spynie is not far from elgin and has a cemetery

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 08 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your help.  Hard trying to do this from Australia.

I have actually been there to Spynie Kirk where I was told James was an Elder in the Kirk.

His granddaughter when I visited her in Nairn in 1990 told me he was buried in the Spynie kirkgrounds/cemetery.?  But not where the church is.  Think it was on the Lossie side of Elgin?  Never had any joy.

Thank you for all your assistance. :-*

From very hot down under.  We're into our 4th week of over 35 degrees - that's centigrade not farenheit!

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 08 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Just been back on to SP.  Your James Younie - as you probably know died on 02 Nov 1909.  Have PMd you a copy of the entry.

Died at The Cottage, Woodlands, Parish of New Spynie.  Witness son John.  Also looked for a death of Helen - up to 1950 - without success. 2 within the timeframe - neither her.  Doesn't mean she's not there - maybe mistranscribed somewhere?

Regards,  Steve  :O)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I have actually been there to Spynie Kirk where I was told James was an Elder in the Kirk.
His granddaughter when I visited her in Nairn in 1990 told me he was buried in the Spynie kirkgrounds/cemetery.?  But not where the church is.  Think it was on the Lossie side of Elgin?  Never had any joy.

Spynie Kirk used to be where Spynie Kirkyard is, near Spynie Palace, south-east of Elgin. See map at
http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=778872

However some time in the 18th century (possibly 1784 but I could be wrong) a new Spynie Kirk was built further west. See http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/135318 - the kirk is marked on the map by a cross just beside Quarrywood.

LIBINDX at http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp has an index of those inscriptions in Spynie Kirkyard which were easily legible in 1978-9. A more recent and rigorous record has been made by the Moray Burial Grounds Research Group - see http://www.mbgrg.org/publications.shtml - but these are not online.

HTH
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 February 08 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  Forfarian for that info.

I took a pic of the old kirk with all the trees flowering and signed the visitors book when I called in in 1990. 

Gt Gt Grandfather lived in Rothes all his life until he moved into the cottage in Elgin.  Not able to find where the family who all lived in Rothes are buried.  I assume it might be in Rothes somewhere.  The listing on the Moray site doesnt show him or his wive's neither does the Spynie cemetery ones.

Oh well keep on searching I guess.

I see you have some ancestors from Rothes too.

Barb