Author Topic: Marriage & Death look up: Younie  (Read 12142 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage & Death look up: Younie
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 February 08 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Barb

Death certs would normally show whether he was a 'widower/widow of...' or 'married to...'

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 February 08 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Duh good thinking :-[.  I have a copy of his death certificate.

It says married to:- 1. Jane Stewart 2. Helen Shearer.  He died on 23/11/1909 at "The cottage, Woodlands in the Parish of New Spynie"  (Could it have been a nursing home or did they have them then?).  Senile decay.  (No mention of issue, widowhood or such like)

Signature of informant is his son John Younie, Fochabers. A bit missing on edge but looks like November 24 at New Spynie signed by the same Registrar as on the main part of the form.   Is this  his funeral?

I guess then this means Helen has gone before him?

Sometimes I chase my tail.  Where would be records be for his grave?

I dont know where wife No 1  (gt gt grandmother) is interred d 7/2/1874, also there were 2 bairns who died in 1864,1869 and 3rd 6.5.1874.  As I said previously they arent in Rothes as I only found his son Alexander and family.

Barb
Hibberd: Sheffield, Dronfield, Yorkshire; Barry: England, Echuca Victoria Australia; Reid: Dumbarton to Tasmania; Parkin: Leeds to Tasmania: Younie: Moray,Scotland to Tasmania:Horsham: England to Tasmania

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 00:30 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of his death certificate. It says married to:- 1. Jane Stewart 2. Helen Shearer .... I guess then this means Helen has gone before him?
No. It means Helen was still alive. If she had died before him he would have been described as 'widower of 1. Jane Stewart and 2. Helen Shearer.'

Sometimes I chase my tail.  Where would be records be for his grave?
Elgin, in the council offices. There are also microfilms of the burial ground registers in the Heritage Centre, but it could take a while to go through them if you don't know which cemetery he is in.

I dont know where wife No 1  (gt gt grandmother) is interred d 7/2/1874, also there were 2 bairns who died in 1864,1869 and 3rd 6.5.1874.  As I said previously they arent in Rothes as I only found his son Alexander and family.
Do you mean you didn't find a stone? The absence of a stone does not mean they are noy buried there, because probably the majority of folk didn't have stones. If they died in Rothes in the 1870s it is extremely likely that that are buried in Rothes.

A bit missing on edge but looks like November 24 at New Spynie signed by the same Registrar as on the main part of the form.   Is this  his funeral?
No. you don't get funeral details on death certificates after 1860. If it is in the left margin, could it be a RCE (Register of Corrected Entries)?

"The cottage, Woodlands in the Parish of New Spynie"  (Could it have been a nursing home or did they have them then?).

It was probably his home, or the home of a relative who was looking after him.

Have you looked in Scotland's People for the death of Helen Shearer or Younie? She will be indexed by both her maiden and her married name, so she shouldn't be hard to find.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline minnie222

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 February 08 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you one and all.

Thank you Forfar... that will help me get on the right path again.  Strange how this stuff works. ;D

It makes you think outside the square doesnt it?

See further up - I have had a good look at the photos I have and it isnt Alexander Younie but Alexander JACK's grave with his wife Jessie Anne Younie - (a missing Grand aunt I have found now - sister of Alexander Younie), which means he probably did go to Canada and his son was an Airman in WW2 who came back to UK to be in the War.  He visited the family in Lossiemouth during the war.

Many thanks for you help to all.

Barb
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
Hibberd: Sheffield, Dronfield, Yorkshire; Barry: England, Echuca Victoria Australia; Reid: Dumbarton to Tasmania; Parkin: Leeds to Tasmania: Younie: Moray,Scotland to Tasmania:Horsham: England to Tasmania

Offline rodgerk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 January 09 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty certain that Alexander Simpsons mother was Margaret (Maryaret) Shearer and not Helen.  Maryaret had a number of children out of marraige - my Grandmother (Mary Jane Duff, born Duff Cottage in Rothes) used to tell me of some 'scandal' in her family.  That would be Maryaret - if you check the 1901 census you will see that Alexander Simpson is staying with his half-brother James Duff in Rothes. 

It's really strange to find, by accident, that other people are checking out the same people

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 January 09 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rodgerk

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

It was this birth entry showing on IGI that made us think that Helen was the mother of Alexander (Simpson):

ALEXANDER SHEARER  Birth:  28 JAN 1871  Mortlach, Banff, Scotland
Parents: Mother: HELEN SHEARER

Together with that 1871 census entry:

Maryaret Sherner 35
James Duff    7
William Sherner 3
Helen Sherner    24, sister
Alexander Simpson 2months

Address:  Woodside, Mortlach

Hopefully Barb will pick up on your post and you can exchange family notes.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joy58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 April 09 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was looking for something completely different when I spotted your ancestor, Alexander Younie.

My great grandmother, Margaret Watson, b1846 Elgin had several illegitimate children. She only names the father of one - Alexandrina Watson, b1873. In the Register of the Poor, she makes an application for Parochial Relief on 05 Sep 1881 for medical treatment for Alexandrina. The register says "Father of child is Alexr Younie, Weaver, Edinburgh who does not pay".

However, when Alexandrina dies in 1899 her death certificate says "Reputed Father - Alexander Younie, Farm Servant."

Do we have any link here do you think?

Kind regards
Joy

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 15:10 BST (UK) »
"The cottage, Woodlands in the Parish of New Spynie"

North side of Elgin, just past Bishopmill on the Duffus road (the B9012)
http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman