Author Topic: Missing believed in Daventry!  (Read 17527 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Missing believed in Daventry!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all this Jon It will take a little time to go right through and shows that once we have been to Warwick next week we will need to plan a trip to Northampton.We will start today with the wills you kindly sent. I am sure Moses will eventually fit inthere are too many pointers for him not to.
Now I must clean up my list for Warwick and start another for Northampton so if anyone wants a particular look up in either RO let me know fairly quickly please
H
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
We have bitten the bullet and opened a sub with An...ry so now have access to FindMyPast and A...ry

As you say there is something odd going on with the John and Elizabeth and John and Hannah situation
So far I have only found deaths for children of John and Elizabeth which seem to happen in batches i wonder if there was disease in the village at the time will need more time to look again but they loose an Elizabeth and Ann in 1768 and a Sarah, John and Capel in 1770
Now have you found a baptism for a Capel, Ann or Elizabeth COWLEY before 1770 I can see the ones for Capel 1773 Ann 1777 and Elizabeth in 1781 but not one before? An earlier baptism to either Elizabeth or Hannah for one of the three would be a useful pointer Surely there wasn't a second John who married an Elizabeth having a Capel ::)
H.

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Good I have found the baptism for the first Capel in Willoughby Son of John and Hannah 6 Jan 1766 so that I think is the proof that Hannah=Elizabeth
Capel son of John and Elizabeth 28 April1768
The baptism record isn't too clear at first I thought the mother was Keziah but a closer look it is Hannah
H

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 November 11 12:26 GMT (UK) »
There is an odd thing going on with the daughter of Martin & Esther FROST too she is registered as Hannah and appears on censuses as Hannah but there is an Elizabeth Emma baptised to Martin and Esther and no Hannah at that time so is Hannah again being used for Elizabeth and visa versa?

Back to John and Hannah Capel
Free Reg has a baptism in 1735 for a John to William and Sarah COWLEY in Badby we know J&H had first a daughter Sarah then a John and three Williams Badby and Welton are about equidistant from Daventry did the young couple meet in Daventry is this our John how can we set about proving it ? I wonder why Hannah's mother objected to the marriage the most likely reason was that she was under age but if this was the case how did they eventually marry  ???

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 26 November 11 13:59 GMT (UK) »
"John Cowley and Hannah Capel married at Welton, Northamptonshire, on 14 November 1756. Previously in the Welton Parish Register there is an entry for the 17th October 1756 saying that the banns were 'forbidden by Elizabeth Harrison of Drayton by Daventry, Mother of the aforesaid Hannah Capel'. This marriage information was given to me by another Cowley researcher. "

Might be worth a trip to the record office to see if there is more to the note?
See its posted here:
http://www.roots-boots.net/ft/capel.html

I found this lovely little book in 3 parts on-line first 3 items on the search result here - gives a picture of life in Daventry in the 1700-1800's. I have not searched in it - a treat to read later!
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0hn8/

PM

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 November 11 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Capell married William Harrison 29 Jan 1742 in Daventry
but there are two possible candidates for her
1. Elizabeth GRANDERTON m Samuel CAPEL 9 Dec 1731 Daventry and a Samuel CAPEL was buried Daventry 17 Dec 1742
2. Elizabeth CAPEL bap d of Samuel and Hannah CAPEL 30 April 1701 Daventry abode DRAYTON
All from Free REG
No Hannah baptisms around the time we would expect Hannah to be born so we are left with the question Which Elizabeth CAPEL married William HARRISON  and where was Hannah born/baptised etc

How many Samuels are involved?
Could Samuel m Hannah then Elizabeth Granderton and die in 1842

The second Elizabeth looks good as she is from DRAYTON and her mum was Hannah but how do we prove it?

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline MaryMc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Martin Cowley and Esther Frost were my G.G.G Grandparents.

I'll dig out my paperwork and see if I have anything useful!

I saw that Sarah Paine was mentioned. I believe the illegitimate daughter born to her was called Rebekah.

MaryMc
McCorkell, Peoples, Reid, Rutherford and others - Donegal and Londonderry.
McCorkle - Glasgow, Scotland
Hensman, Docker, Rhodes, Cowley, Morris - England

Offline MaryMc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 06:19 GMT (UK) »
There is an odd thing going on with the daughter of Martin & Esther FROST too she is registered as Hannah and appears on censuses as Hannah but there is an Elizabeth Emma baptised to Martin and Esther and no Hannah at that time so is Hannah again being used for Elizabeth and visa versa?

For the majority of her life Hannah was known as Anna or Annie.
She used Hannah when she married in 1892, but never any other time.
McCorkell, Peoples, Reid, Rutherford and others - Donegal and Londonderry.
McCorkle - Glasgow, Scotland
Hensman, Docker, Rhodes, Cowley, Morris - England

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any idea why she appears to be baptised Elizabeth Emma? I would love to know who she married and so on are you descended from Hannah? Have you looked at our web site?
The Cowleys are on the edge of my tree and link through the marriage of Capel Cowley and Catherine Salmon who was the daughter of my 3 x gt grandmother Tabitha Hakesley and her first husband William Salmon. My 3x gt grandfather was Tabitha's second husband. So as you can see its a loose connection but I have written a short piece about blacksmiths on the web site and Capel and his brother interested me.
Nice to see the old thread woken up again
The parish register a film of which I saw in Warwick RO has:
1806    Keturah Cowley spurious daughter of Sarah PAIN  Baptised April  ye 27 The image is now on Ancestry perhaps others will check it I still think its Keturah though the first letter could be an R the third letter is a definite t have a look and see what you think.
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk