Author Topic: Missing believed in Daventry!  (Read 17530 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Missing believed in Daventry!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 November 11 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Well that second link shows the link between John and Hannah and William and Elizabeth Bennett 
Yes the mcmullin one is ours
I am hoping to go to Warwick RO next week hooray how exciting is that 
I'll look for Jon's Moses too it looks too good for him not to relate to these
Oooh checking with Warwick RO for opening times I can see they have records on An..ry I am now negotiating with Elm (husband) for a new sub fingers crossed

Many many thanks
H
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 November 11 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Wow Magic you have also solved a longstanding mystery with that book. On the tree I have a Thomas HESOM a farmer married to Mary Ellard. Thomas was a rich farmer I have found him signing many documents as a member of the Parish vestry etc then suddenly he turns up on the 1851 census as insolvent in the debtors prison in Coventry while Mary remains farming in Willoughby
Now there were 5 signatures on the school lease including the three named in the book as having died the fourth was Thomas HESOM I have been trying for years to find out what had caused him to become a debtor there it is in black and white it was all over the dismissal of the headmaster
 see p 19 0f the booklet
H even more happy to be going to Warwick

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 November 11 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trees, I only have the cheaper An****try sub,  :'  (so maybe someone else could help you with the look-up.
Saw there were two Moses wills on NA.
Online Document PROB 11/1116
Will of Moses Cowley Gentleman Willoughby , Warwickshire . Will of Moses Cowley Gentleman Willoughby , Warwickshire
Date: 1784
Online Document PROB 11/886
Will of Moses Cowley Gentleman Willoughby , Warwickshire Will of Moses Cowley Gentleman Willoughby , Warwickshire
Date: 1763
(The National Archives)

That was funny, to solve a mystery that I didn't know about in the first place.. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 November 11 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Pure magic er Magic  :) :)

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 November 11 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Here's a bit more about the case of the bankrupt school trustee - and see a John and William Cowley appear in the cast of characters - seems they owned the land on which the school house stood, so were quite involved.   :) :) :) :)
Google books, full view, pages 244 and following pages.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0h1d/

"Comprising Reports of Cases in the Courts of Chancery, King's ..., Volume 10"

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 November 11 18:53 GMT (UK) »
I was about to put the same link up but couldn't work out how to condense the address its yards long
Yes and W ELLARD I have two Wm ELLARD's (father and son) who were Church Warden and Parish Clerk at the same time its great as it means I have plenty of examples of their writing.Look there is T ELLARD too now if I have the right W Ellard he was thomas's brother and Thomas is my Great X a few grandfather. I think there was a Jeffcott involved too a veritable family gathering I think everyone in Willoughby related to each other
I hope they have the original Charity doc. with all their signatures on I think I may phone ahead of our visit to see what they have it will save time if I can pre order a couple of pieces up
H

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 November 11 19:10 GMT (UK) »
If that is the case, you may find this report interesting, as they are all mentioned here too:
House of Commons papers, Volume 21, Part 2 By Great Britain. Parliament. pages 1200 and onwards.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0h1e/

Though we are wandering from your original question a bit!
PM

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 November 11 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Quite right poor Thomas Hesom though in goal at 77 I know he died in 1858 and was buried in Willoughby but it is not clear if he died in jail.
I will look for the family of Willliam COWLEY and Hannah next week and report back if the tree you found is well researched it should be easy to link both my Willoughby COWLEY families and I hope the Moses family too then it will be wait for a chance to get to Northampton RO for the next generation back

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cowley Family of Willoughby
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hazel,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you, but am replying here in the main thread. I will write a longer email shortly, but one of the things you asked in your private message to me was about a Keturah Cowley.

I have found her baptism in the Willoughby registers on 27 April 1806 and she was baptised Keturah Cowley, the illegitimate daughter of Sarah Pains.

Sarah Pains married John Cowley, widower, in Willoughby on 5 March 1807, so she was evidently a daughter born to them before they married.

John was baptised in Daventry, Northamptonshire, on 8 August 1762 (born 3rd August) and was the son of John Cowley and Hannah Capel.

This John born in 1762 was firstly married to Catherine Kenning in Willoughby on 1 January 1784 and they had a son Thomas (1788-1861). Catherine was buried in Willoughby on 21 October 1805.

As Keturah was baptised in April 1806, it is clear Sarah Pains was pregant with Keturah at the time John's wife died.

After his marrying his second wife Sarah Pains in 1807, I have found John had the below listed children with her, following daughter Keturah in 1806:

Ann Cowley 1807 –
Elener Cowley 1810 –
John Cowley 1812 –
Capel Cowley 1814 - aft 1841
Mary 1816 -
Hesther Cowley 1818 – 1828
Martin Cowley 1820 – 1881
John Cowley c1825/6 – aft 1841
Hannah 1827-1827     

I can't find a burial for the John born in 1812, nor a baptism for the John born c1825/6, however a 15 year old John is with John and Sarah in the 1841 Willoughby census along with elder son Martin born in 1820, and John's eldest son Thomas who was born in 1788 to his first wife. So I assume there were two Johns, unless the census was an error. Also, in this census John's son Capel born in 1814 lived next door.

The William Cowley who married Elizabeth Bennett was baptised at Willoughby on 18 Feb 1772. He was buried at Willoughby on 23 August 1846. He was the son of John Cowley and Hannah Capel and younger brother of the John mentioned above, who was born in 1762. His parents John and Hannah had previously had an earlier son named William who was born in 1767, who evidently died.

John Cowley and Hannah Capel married at Welton, Northamptonshire, on 14 November 1756. Previously in the Welton Parish Register there is an entry for the 17th October 1756 saying that the banns were 'forbidden by Elizabeth Harrison of Drayton by Daventry, Mother of the aforesaid Hannah Capel'. This marriage information was given to me by another Cowley researcher.

John and Hannah had four children baptised at Daventry and then more at Willoughby where they both died. However there is confusion about their children as some are named in the registers naming the mother as Elizabeth. The William born in 1767 also appears to have been buried as 'John' in 1770.

Anyway I will write more of this in a later post with a more detailed reply on all the Willoughby Cowleys shortly.

Kind regards,
Jon