Author Topic: St John Newfoundland Birth Lookup  (Read 4191 times)

Offline brads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St John Newfoundland Birth Lookup
« on: Saturday 09 February 08 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Does anybody have access to the above birth records? I have gone through the ones on the Newfoundland website but have not been successful.  The person I am after is Bert Sharpe born 13 August 1891.  I would like to know if this birth exists.

If possible could you also look for a Herbert Sharp born 1894?  These could be the same person.

Many thanks brad

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St John Newfoundland Birth Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 February 08 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brad

According to Bert Sharpe's attestation papers for WW1 he listed his place of birth as St. John's Newfoundland and a Methodist if this helps any. Next of kin's address was mother Margaret Sharpe of 16 Hutchings Street, St. Johns, NFLD. He signed up at Kingston Ontario, giving residence as Toronto.

You can access the attestation paper here:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/cef/001042-100.01-e.php
His regimental # 348670

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline LesleyG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brad,

The date of birth that you have also fits with him being age 31 at the time of his marriage in September 1922.

PM me if you'd like a copy of the marriage entry.

Lesley

Offline brads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley

Thank you for the information.  If it is possible I would like a copy of the marriage entry.  It is very kind of you.

brads

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 February 08 03:17 GMT (UK) »
I know you didn't ask for the census entry, but this could be  his listing...
Bertram Sharpe..immigrated 1910 from NFLD, lodging with Bromley family in Toronto West ( says Aug. 12th , 1889,  I think) occupation Labourer ( construction I think, says "buildings") - Methodist...
But another boarder Frederick Knight is a carpenter...and he came in 1910 from NFLD as well...Also  Levi __? came in 1910 and seems to be working at the same place...
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=51070

There are Sharpe & Sharp listed here for available images...( a Bertram as Sharp)
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Stonepics/stonepics-ss.shtml
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline brads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 February 08 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you j.j.  You have tried to help me before with this one.  It was you who pointed me in the direction of his attestion papers.  I have still not been able to get any further with it.

I have not been able to find him in the Canadian census' or the BMD's.  I have got the information that his father was called Alfred and his mother Margaret.  I am hoping I will be able to solve this problem.

Thank you again brads

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 February 08 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Here is the other thread on him...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,176702.0.html

Brad please continue on the same thread from now on if a name has been mentioned and researched already, otherwise...as you can hopefully see....it can make for a waste of resources...
Thanks...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 December 10 20:23 GMT (UK) »
wow I just reread this thread and even though I found the man on the 1911 census, you are complaining that you haven't found him on the censuses....so everyone reads your threads through, Brads, except for you....

Offline brads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 December 10 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.J.

When I said I had not found him on the census' it was because the one you found does not appear to be the same person I am looking for. I sent for the army papers and there are some similarities and some that aren't.  As I am unsure whether this is the right person I cannot add them to my tree.  I was hoping that some more information may come to light as new records become available.

I did thank you for your help and I was grateful for the information and the direction that you pointed me in.  I have not given up on this person and hope that one day all the loose ends will tie up.

Regards

Brads