Author Topic: Looking for a John Furmston, help!!  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a John Furmston, help!!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 February 08 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Judy

Of course you can continue to ask for help on the same family  :)

Linking to any other thread helps other lookers up.

I've had a flash back to my 1841-51 Census CDS of the area and I'm sure I found some Furmstons in the area between Ellesmere and the Chirk/Ruabon parish boundaries. They're not indexed so it could take me a while. I'll get back if there's anything that looks interesting on them  :)

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 February 08 03:40 GMT (UK) »
John Furmston,  baptised 1821 in Ellesmere, Shrop.  Parents Edward & Ann Furmston.I have all the records for his parents and siblings,but he has me puzzled. I haven't been able to find him on census records at all. His father died in 1839 & John was mentioned in his will,so I gather from this he is still alive in 1839.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you considered looking at spelling variants?  My ex husband has Firmston in his tree (Henry who came to NZ 1850's) and has family in the area you mention...i'm at work and can't check all my details but i will when i get home.

Variants are Formston/stone, Firmston/stone; Formeston  They are mentioned in the book The History of Myddle, written by a villager Richard Gough in the 1600's i think it is...made for most interesting reading...the usual goings about of the villagers lives.

There is a picture of Henry Firmston on my website and his daughter Mary Mathews WILSON nee Firmston who was born on the way to NZ.

Cheers
Sarndra
www.sarndra.com
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 February 08 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarndra,
I have tried those variants and more, so frustrating isn't it.

I have just had a brief look at your website, what a wonderful effort, i will have a closer look when I have some quiet time, I'm always interested in other peoples genealogy.

Interesting about the NZ Firmston.

One of John's brothers George immigrated to Australia in 1852, I had all of them tracked except for one daughter, it was by sheer chance I stumbled upon her in NZ!! she went there in 1897 at 28 years of age, married a Michael Staunton in Dunedin and died without children in 1902.
Her name was Florence Amelia Furmston. One wonders why she would have gone there on her own. 

You never know what to expect with family history do you!!

Judy

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 February 08 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarndra,
I have tried those variants and more, so frustrating isn't it.

I have just had a brief look at your website, what a wonderful effort, i will have a closer look when I have some quiet time, I'm always interested in other peoples genealogy.

Interesting about the NZ Firmston.

One of John's brothers George immigrated to Australia in 1852, I had all of them tracked except for one daughter, it was by sheer chance I stumbled upon her in NZ!! she went there in 1897 at 28 years of age, married a Michael Staunton in Dunedin and died without children in 1902.
Her name was Florence Amelia Furmston. One wonders why she would have gone there on her own. 

You never know what to expect with family history do you!!

Judy

Hello again :-)

I thought you'd probably done all the variants and yes it's hugely frustrating but so rewarding when we hit gold :-)

Our Henry b 1832 Leaton had siblings William; Margaret b 1826 and Eleanor b 1831.  I know nothing about the siblings.  Their parents were William bc1791 Leaton Heath and Mary...both lived at Fitz.  I have some information gleaned from the IGI over the years relating to some Ann's (for some reason..don't ask me why...i can't find any in the ex's tree!) ... I shall send this to you via the messaging option :-)  ...as you say you never know!

As an aside... my parents who live in Christchurch, NZ ended up having a direct neighbour for a few years who's maiden name was Firmston and related to my ex...however NZ is in the big plan of things..small :-)

Thanks re the feedback on my site..it's been a labour of love and i've enjoyed doing it immensely over the past nearly 9 years...everyone should have one!  You wouldn't believe how much it's helped me out as well.  :D

Cheers
Sarndra

ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline mikmas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

not sure if this will help any but Edward Furmston married 3 times.

John's mother Ann Hampson died in about 1827. Edward then married Mary Veneables in 1928 and she died in 1830. Edward then married Emma (Amelia) Mary Maddocks.

Edward then died in 1839.

George can be found with Emma and her daughter in the 1841 census:
1841 H0107/918 /4 folio 49 page 22 Ellesmere Pimhill Shropshire Emma Furmston ind age 44  all born in county Mary Maddox age 35 F S Eliza Maddox age 15 F S Geo FurNston age 11

Also in Pimhill Shopshire is a John Furmston born 1827. Could this be him??

George appears as a traveller / journeyman and saddler in 1851 census on his own.

It might be a wild tangent but who knows.

cheers
Kim
Croker, Hocking, Page, Dorrity,

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 March 08 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kim,
I have all of this info, My John Furmston was definately born in 1821, I have the Parish record, but he is elusive since then. I guess when I least expect it he will crop up in some record.
judy

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 March 08 01:34 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found John! Monumental inscriptions from S.F.H.S. & Parish register burials. I have sent for a death certificate. John was 25 when he died.
Thanks to all at rootschat.