Author Topic: "Not Speaking..."  (Read 6370 times)

Offline familyman1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Not Speaking..."
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 March 08 17:50 GMT (UK) »
thats am interesting thought that,i have the very problem in my family

Offline clivealbert

• RootsChat Senior
  • First meeting with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 March 08 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,List my dad was a b**ger at insulting people and most took it as a joke. when my mothers sisters husband tried it caused an almighty agument, and even though my mothers brother and sister life 2 doors away from each other they have not spoken to each other for 24 years.Ah Well who Needs familes. Best Wishes Clive ;D
marshall, reynolds ,cockayne, parrot ,friend,hayman.bielby,carr,Dobbs,Jeffries,Dear,Spink,Henshaw,Crump

Offline treebuster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 March 08 14:56 GMT (UK) »
The saying "you can't choose your family though you can your friends", springs to mind!
Since researching family history for some years i have been trying to persuade my father to get in contact with his sister to inform her that one of her brother had died from Lung cancer....
Dad was from a large family and for some reason we couldnt quite understand why his sister and her husband and their daughter decided to cut themseves off from the family...
There was just letters to a few saying they wished not to be contacted anymore we were stunned there were no arguments nothing we can recall which prevented contact...
For some reason i decided to search deaths and found aunt and and uncle had died  some years ago....
We know there daughter had children but we wonder if she has the same health issues that i have and wonder where she is...
I am sure she doesnt want to be found but dad is not getting any younger and he would like to know what happened to his niece ...
All sources have been looked at and it saddens me because except for her children though, she could have a extendid family that she would get moral support from...

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I thought that wives automatically inherited from husbands!

Indeed, I know of cases where children have lost parental inheritances because a wife had the prior claim and then passed the money to relatives on her side.

I'm not sure what various countries have as the rules in regard to folks dying intestate but in my world

If there is a wife and living child - they share the estate 50/50
If there is a wife and living children - the wife gets 1/3 and the children share 2/3

It is much better to have a valid, up to date will - noting that if you have left your estate to other than a surviving spouse, it is very difficult to disinherit your children  or any one of same.

If you have left your estate outright to a surviving spouse, then he/she usually then has the right to leave it to whoever they chose.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I fell out with my wee sister over something stupid and we didnt talk for 12 months :( Something that will NEVER happen again. We've learnt not to hold grudges  ;D

Shame the same isn't true for my partner's family. My partner hasnt talked to his brother for over 6 years. But I can understand why, as his brother is a prolific drug user, which doesnt exactly lend itself to a normal relationship...... 

However, theres also my son's grandfather and his twin who havent talked to their younger brother since a falling out relating to the selling of their parents land.... But from my point of view its a real shame as this brother has all the family photos/ certificates etc. Hes even started doing the family history and posted a few bits on ancestry... I messaged him but I dont think he wants to talk to me :( Even though I've offered to share information as I've gone quite a bit further than him :(

What can you do???