Author Topic: Jane Collie  (Read 3181 times)

Offline AngelRose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Collie
« on: Monday 11 February 08 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on my great grandmother Jane(Jennie) Collie. She was born about 1864 some say in Edinburgh & some say Moray. She married George Girdlestone from Norfolk , England (not sure when)  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Rose
Collie
Girdlestone
Connors
Cavanaugh
Newman

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Collie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello AngelRose,

Welcome to Rootschat.

A quick look on the IGI   www.familysearch.org.  Brings up a 'submitted 'entry for a marriage in 1886 - no date given for a George Girdlestone and a Jane Collie in Wymondham, Norfolk, England.  It also lists 4 children to the marriage.

George Girdlestone b. 1887 d.1973 Norfolk)
Samuel Girdlesone b.1890 d. 1891 (Norfolk)
Genevieve G. Girdlestone b.1892 (Norfolk)
Robert Girdlestone b.1888 (Norfolk)  d. 1972

Also gives names of spouses.

Do you know where/when 'your' Jane died?  If in Norfolk I'd suggest posting your message with as much information as possible on the Norfolk Board. (I'd post it there anyway).  The entry has George snr born 1861, died 1955.

Scottish marriage and death entries give parents names - I'm ashamed that I'm ignorant as to the details of the English ones (shall rectify that).

On the IGI there are a number of Jane Collies born between 1860 and 1870 in Edinburgh and Moray.

I'd suggest having a look there to familiarise yourself with the website.  Good luck with your search.  Please post further quesries.  Regards,   Steve   :O).

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Scottish marriage and death entries give parents names - I'm ashamed that I'm ignorant as to the details of the English ones (shall rectify that).
English marriage certificates give you the names of the couple's fathers but not their mothers' names, and English death certificates do not tell you the names of the deceased' parents so if Jane died in England, her death certificate isn't going to help.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AngelRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank You so much for the information you have given me.
  My great grand parents immigrated to the USA (not sure when) they  lived in Lackawanna New York. That's where my great gram died about 1964. I hope this helps. Could you please tell me how I get to the Norfolk boards, I'm new.
 Thank You Again
 Angel
Collie
Girdlestone
Connors
Cavanaugh
Newman

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 13:35 GMT (UK) »
No problems Angel

Go back to the homepage, select 'England' then select 'Norfolk'.  Once you get there post in the 'Lookup Request' section.

Regarding seaching in Scotland - I would use the IGI as a rough guide, but if you do identify specific people in Scotland, the Scottish govt website at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (a pay per view site) is quite good.  It has a lot of good free info and free searching, which helps eliminate or confirm - or even further confuse   :O)  You'll see if you go there that only those from the 'established church' are recorded.  Some chose not to record as there was a cost involved and those of other religious persuasion recorded seperately.  It's free to register. 

Regards,   Steve.  :O)

Offline AngelRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Steve
& Thank You for the website.
 Have A Nice Day :)
 Angel
Collie