Author Topic: HELP info in Ireland  (Read 13304 times)

Offline scotchmist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HELP info in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 July 08 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi aghaddowey,
I'm your neighbor, I'm only a few miles down the road from you toward Magherafelt.  How's things?  ;)

Offline polly88

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your help and kindness, especially searching for my Begley ancestors.  Not the ones I am looking for, but they could have been!!

I will keep plugging away; not been able to do any research for a long time, but back on to it now.

If only I'd asked my dad more questions before he died; there is no-one left in the Begley side now.  Let this be a lesson to all you young ones out there - talk to your relatives!

Thanks once again, Polly
Begley - St Helens & Liverpool & somewhere in Ireland.
Foster - Liverpool & Yorkshire (Ripon & Leeds)
Pendleton - Huyton & Liverpool
Milnes - Leeds & Ripon
Banister - Preston
Wales - Liverpool & Cumberland
Ireland - Prescot
McDonough - Liverpool
Quirk - Liverpool
Hunt - St Helens
Tickle - St Helens

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 November 08 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Tunjilees.... I can completely understand your frustration and that generally of searching their Irish ancestors.

I'm newish to this too and I only had a couple of names initially, of my g.g. granny living in Dumfries, Scotland:

Julia Lawler / Lollar b. abt 1844 'Ireland'

on her marriage certificate I found her parents were:
Catherine Bonn/Burns/Byrne (always take into account how a heavy Irish accent can be transcripted...)
Michael Lawler/Lollar (agricultural labourer/ deceased by 1874)

Anyway that was all I had until I was kindly advised (on here) to search the areas close by where Julia was living for other members of her family. I managed to find her mother Catherine and a sister also called Catherine  in 1881 and it gave their approximate birth dates and birth places of Carlow and Kildare respectively :) I've guessed they are protestant (family thing) but my mind is open to other possibilities.

Basically I have found a few more snippets from IGI but havent really got further (lawler seems a bit common).

So what I'm advising is patience and you will start chipping away slowly. But don't expect the fast online finds you get with Scots records. :(

Tx

Hi there...

In Ireland have you tried surname spelling Lawlor/Lalor....I have Lawlor rellies from Belfast....most are Catholic, also a large group of Lawlor/Lalors in County Laois, which is right next door to County Carlow.  Hope this helps....

All The Best
Wendy
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario
McKernan-Australia
Ramsay-Kirriemuir,Scotland
Thompson-Derry; Ontario-Canada
Walker- Kirriemuir,Forfar,Dundee Scotland
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 November 08 14:01 GMT (UK) »
In Ireland have you tried surname spelling Lawlor/Lalor....I have Lawlor rellies from Belfast....most are Catholic, also a large group of Lawlor/Lalors in County Laois, which is right next door to County Carlow.  Hope this helps....

All The Best
Wendy

Thanks Wendy, I have tried Lawlor, but not Lalor... I'm off to try it now.
I am now convinced this side of the family is catholic, so this is very helpful!
Thank you!
Tx

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 22:44 GMT (UK) »

If only I'd asked my dad more questions before he died; there is no-one left in the Begley side now.  Let this be a lesson to all you young ones out there - talk to your relatives!

AND;

Let this be a lesson to all you older ones out there too.....don't let your "secrets" be buried with you....leave something behind of your history for your children!!!!!! It is their history too and why should you deprive them of this, after all they had no part in that history!!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline solly158

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 March 09 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I think i'm in the same boat as TunjiLees.  My G.G.Great Grandfather Thomas Prior is detailed throughout 1851 to death in 1875 in Edinburgh, but I cant get any further back as he was born in Ireland (no county details) and his parents were Patrick Prior crofter and Rose nee McLaughlin.  I've no idea where in Ireland, but it would have been about 1812 or so that Thomas was born.  I guess Crofters were too poor to be notable enough to be documented.
 :(

Offline solly158

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 19 March 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Oh, just out of interest TunjiLees.  Were your Irish ancestors located in Cowgate Edinburgh?  Thats where mine went, and from what i can gather Cowgate was a multitude of slums full of Irish!  Annoyingly i cant find any history regarding what life was like for these slum occupants in the mid 1800s.  Plenty of history available for Cowgate, but nothing on what these people had to live with.

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 19 March 09 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Solly,

Yes, those ancestors of mine were located in the Cowgate/Grassmarket area.

See the attached extract from "day and night in the wynds of edinburgh" by George Bell. I copied this from the book at the Edinburgh library. I find it an extremely informative description of the conditions in which our ancestors would have lived.

I would also read chapters the chapters 31-32 of the book linked hereunder regarding the Cowgate, if you haven't already. Some interesting history and drawings of contemporary buildings.
http://www.oldandnewedinburgh.co.uk/volume4/

I find images such as http://www.oldandnewedinburgh.co.uk/volume4/page60/pictures/568/zoom
fascinating as they really help you imagine the area and conditions in which our ancestors lived.

Hope this helps

-Tunji Lees
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net

Offline solly158

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 March 09 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thats fantastic, I'd seen one or two of those images, but the text you found was excellent.  Just the sort of thing I'd been looking for.  Its disturbing to think that my ancestors had to live like that, but i'm hoping my Thomas was one of the ones refered to as working! He was noted in the Census as working, a Journeyman Shoemaker, and i believe journeyman meant time served as an apprentice and fully qualified.  Such a harsh life though, Cowgate.
Thanks for posting these up for me, you're right, very informative!
Solly