Author Topic: HELP info in Ireland  (Read 13307 times)

Offline polly88

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HELP info in Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 February 08 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christopher

Thanks for the  help.  I  am sure they were Catholic; all the recent Begleys in my family are Catholic.

I know a lot of Begleys came from Derry, and also Kerry; but I really have no idea at all what county they came from.  So if I went to Ireland where on earth would I go?  Perhaps a starting point would be Belfast.  1740 census would be too early though.  I think Thomas and his wife (possibly Ann) were born around 1835.

Do you know why the records in Ireland are not so accessible as the ones in England?  I know about the fire which destroyed a lot of the records but you'd think the ones that remained would be more easily accessible.

Anyway, I'll keep ploughing on.

Thanks a lot, Polly
Begley - St Helens & Liverpool & somewhere in Ireland.
Foster - Liverpool & Yorkshire (Ripon & Leeds)
Pendleton - Huyton & Liverpool
Milnes - Leeds & Ripon
Banister - Preston
Wales - Liverpool & Cumberland
Ireland - Prescot
McDonough - Liverpool
Quirk - Liverpool
Hunt - St Helens
Tickle - St Helens

Offline Gatacre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 00:30 GMT (UK) »
It was the Irish government who pulped a great many of the census records during WW1.  It was the biggest mistake they ever made.

You could try typing into Google 1851 census Co. Antrim and you will see that these Irish census were the most comprehensive you will ever see.  People had to give the date of marriage and if anybody is missing from the 1841 census details have to be given of their whereabouts,  If a person had died the cause of death had to be give.

Just think what all this would have meanst for us with Irish forebears.  It is like losing the pot at the end of the rainbow.

Gatacre
CLEGG,BINNS Rochdale
PATTESON-BLACKWELL  Rochdale
PATTESON,SMITH  Bury and Manchester
GARNER, ALLEN Manchehster/Ireland
HARTLEY, Burnley
BLACKWALL/WELL Hereford City, Herefordshire
COLLINS   Leominster, Herefordshire
ARMSTRONG   Orleton, Herefordshire
LLOYD  Orleton, Herefordshire
THOMPSON   Barrow-in-Furness, Lancashire
THOMPSON   Dromara, Co. Down, N. Ireland
CAMPBELL   Dromara, Down and Co. Tyrone N Ireland
FISHER   Pennsyvania and Ohio  USA
MARKS   Pennsylvania USA

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 00:44 GMT (UK) »
It was the Irish government who pulped a great many of the census records during WW1.  It was the biggest mistake they ever made.

You could try typing into Google 1851 census Co. Antrim and you will see that these Irish census were the most comprehensive you will ever see.  People had to give the date of marriage and if anybody is missing from the 1841 census details have to be given of their whereabouts,  If a person had died the cause of death had to be give.

Just think what all this would have meanst for us with Irish forebears.  It is like losing the pot at the end of the rainbow.

Gatacre

Hi Gatacre,

That was actually another British government boob boob as Ireland was still a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland 8)

The Irish government didn't come into being until 1922.

Christopher

Offline Gatacre

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 09:43 GMT (UK) »
You are quite right, Christopher.

Gatacre
CLEGG,BINNS Rochdale
PATTESON-BLACKWELL  Rochdale
PATTESON,SMITH  Bury and Manchester
GARNER, ALLEN Manchehster/Ireland
HARTLEY, Burnley
BLACKWALL/WELL Hereford City, Herefordshire
COLLINS   Leominster, Herefordshire
ARMSTRONG   Orleton, Herefordshire
LLOYD  Orleton, Herefordshire
THOMPSON   Barrow-in-Furness, Lancashire
THOMPSON   Dromara, Co. Down, N. Ireland
CAMPBELL   Dromara, Down and Co. Tyrone N Ireland
FISHER   Pennsyvania and Ohio  USA
MARKS   Pennsylvania USA

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 April 08 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for this idea; not sure how a project on New England... would be helpful though.  I find all this very confusing!!!

Polly

Hi Polly,

New England or wherever ... if they have Irish records, including those for "Protestant Housekeepers in Counties Antrim, Derry, Donegal, and Londonderry, Ireland — 1740", online so that people can have a look at them and don't have to pay subscription charges I'm not going to do any complaining.

Christopher

Offline jjcaffrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 13:12 BST (UK) »
From the "Protestant Housekeepers in Counties Antrim, Derry, Donegal, and Londonderry, Ireland 1740" at NEHGS... I did a soundex search on Begley, and then Lees. I've included the description of the holding at the bottom.

First Name Last Name Parish Barony County Number

Mrs Beckly London Derry Tyrkeering Londonderry 1421 more

James Begly Tamlaght O Creely LaughinShillin Londonderry 1178 more

Willm Begly Tamlaght O Creely LaughinShillin Londonderry 1179 more

Randle Leas BallyKelly Kenoght Londonderry 3118

David  Lees Magherafelt LaughinShillin Londonderry 21 more

Edwd Lees Magharafelt LaughinShillin Londonderry 265 more

James Lees Dunean Toome Antrim 5213 more

John Lees Maghara LaughinShillin Londonderry 2395 more

John Lees Magharafelt LaughinShillin Londonderry 264 more

Robt Lees Magharafelt LaughinShillin Londonderry 317 more

Robt Lees Termoneny LaughinShillin Londonderry 703 more

Thos Lees Magharafelt LaughinShillin Londonderry 364 more

Widw Lees Dunean Toome Antrim 5111 more

Widw Lees Dunean Toome Antrim 5116 more

Peter Leese Billy Dunluce Andrim 3097

Protestant Housekeepers in Counties Antrim, Derry, Donegal, and Londonderry, Ireland 1740
The 1740 Ireland Protestant Housekeepers database is based on an original census now in the possession of the Presbyterian Historical Society of Ireland in Belfast. The work was commissioned by a member of NEHGS at the beginning of the twentieth century and transcribed from the original by J.W. Kernohan, Secretary of the Presbyterian Historical Society of Ireland. The only other known transcription is a typescript in the Public Records Office in Dublin. The counties of Antrim, Derry, Donegal, and Londonderry were transcribed as part of this project. The original also contains information from the counties of Armagh and Down, which are not included here. This census was conducted by the Church of Ireland, but contains information on individuals in all Protestant denominations, as well as a number of Roman Catholic families. Only the name of the head of household is given — no additional information was recorded.

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 April 08 14:42 BST (UK) »
Tunjilees.... I can completely understand your frustration and that generally of searching their Irish ancestors.

I'm newish to this too and I only had a couple of names initially, of my g.g. granny living in Dumfries, Scotland:

Julia Lawler / Lollar b. abt 1844 'Ireland'

on her marriage certificate I found her parents were:
Catherine Bonn/Burns/Byrne (always take into account how a heavy Irish accent can be transcripted...)
Michael Lawler/Lollar (agricultural labourer/ deceased by 1874)

Anyway that was all I had until I was kindly advised (on here) to search the areas close by where Julia was living for other members of her family. I managed to find her mother Catherine and a sister also called Catherine  in 1881 and it gave their approximate birth dates and birth places of Carlow and Kildare respectively :) I've guessed they are protestant (family thing) but my mind is open to other possibilities.

Basically I have found a few more snippets from IGI but havent really got further (lawler seems a bit common).

So what I'm advising is patience and you will start chipping away slowly. But don't expect the fast online finds you get with Scots records. :(

Tx

Offline scotchmist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 July 08 01:00 BST (UK) »
Tunjilees,
I 'm living in Northen Ireland and know of a family of Lees in Magherafelt, Co.Londonderry.
Can you tell me what County your Lees are from?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 July 08 10:32 BST (UK) »
I also know Lees family in Magherafelt area but unless Tunjilees has since the last postings discovered where in Ireland the family did come from there's little point in finding if there's any connection.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!