Author Topic: Cleughbrae , mouswald  (Read 67862 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cleughbrae , mouswald
« Reply #171 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerr Aust. and c.s.c . a happy new year to you both. Well we are now into the 12th. page of this topic and the information regarding our particular family roots continues to increase. Like you Kerr I am trying to collate it and make sense of the family groupings. Perhaps we could through p.m.s detail what we have relating to our own particular branches. Might be a little long winded but each of us might obtain information that fills in some gaps. Looking forward to your responses, regards stoop.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 07:47 GMT (UK) »
i downloaded robert kerr the tailors will a while ago am having difficulty reading it it definitely mentions james kerr joiner elizafield it also says something about cousins robert kerr was the son of george kerr/tabitha moffat at least one of his siblings janet was born cleuchbrae and george/tabitha are buried dalton  csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 21:50 GMT (UK) »
james kerr and rober kerr are cousins so therefore old george buried  dalton and james father are brothers  old george is born abt 1720  csc

Offline KerrUSA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rev. John Kerr (great-grandfather)
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I just returned from spending Christmas thru New Year with Mum (now age 90) in San Diego, where I related to her most of the recent information I've gleaned from this and other discussions on RootsChat.  Probably due to her grandfather's divorce and resulting family disgrace, she had previously known little more of her Kerr ancestry than her mother (Winnifred Violet Kerr),  grandfather (the Rev. John Kerr), aunts, and uncles.  She was thrilled beyond words to learn of her great-, great-great-, great-great-great-, and great-great-great-great-grandparents!

So I wanted to start my first posting for the new year with a HUGE "Thank you!" to all of you who have provided this information -- particularly csc and Stoop in this particular discussion.  I might have learned it someday, but probably not in Mum's lifetime, so I am extremely grateful to all of you!  I know that you have graciously shared with me information that has taken you enormous time, and possibly considerable expense, to acquire.

It does seem that we've reached a barrier of sorts, however.  I've noticed with the Kerrs, as well as other surnames, that little seems to be known of them prior to 1700.  In this discussion, we've traced the Kerrs back to James (b. 1718) and his brother William, but no further.  The same appears true of the Bells, Tweedies, Moffats, Dicksons, Johnstones, and others ... nothing prior to 1700.  Does anyone know the reason for this?  Are there no records prior to this time?  Or do they exist, but not yet online?  Any suggestions -- short of me flying to Scotland -- how we take these lines further back?

I have found considerable information online about the Kersland Kerrs, Ferniehirst Kerrs, Cessford Kerrs, etc. from Norman times to about 1600 or 1650, so it would seem that we are only two or three generations from being able to link our Dumfrieshire Kerrs to their origins ...
Scotland:  Kerr, Bell, Tweedie, Johnstone, Carruthers, Moffat, Jardine
England:  Willis, Outhwaite, Groves, Masters, Kentish, Jenner
Germany:  Pellman (Pöhlman), Schimmel, Meier (Meyer)
BeNeLux:  Trum, Kurt, Hamburg

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday 06 January 10 23:42 GMT (UK) »
how about tabitha and martha as sisters why did i not think it before johnstone sisters tweedies now the moffats i am so slow at figuring things out csc

Offline Kerr Aust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Thursday 07 January 10 08:34 GMT (UK) »
As I'm stuck at home with the flu I thought I'd sit down with that large sheet of paper I mentioned and map all the Kerrs and associated families on this post.  I was hopelessly mixed up by page 5!  I like the idea of Tabitha and Martha Moffat as sisters.  Then given the way things seem to work in the area, George Kerr (Tabitha's husband) may be another brother for James and William.  I did a quick search through the OPR on Scotlands People but no luck.  Will keep trying.

While I was going through this post I noticed mention of the Hutchison Kerrs.   I have an old Kerr photo album given by my g grandfather to his mother Annie wife of Joseph Kerr b Elizafield 1835 who came out to Australia.  Among the very few photos that are labelled are two of Robert Hutchison Kerr taken by R. Wilson 121 High Street, Dumfries.  One of them has written on the back of it "ever your affectionate brother R. Hutchison Kerr.  There is also an in memoriam notice   Robert Hutchison Kerr who departed this life October 8 1890 aged 45 years.  Happy to scan the photos if anyone wants them.  Would love to know where he fits in.  Not bad looking with wonderful mutton chops and full kilt.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Thursday 07 January 10 10:14 GMT (UK) »
would love to see the pictures am also off work chest infection -13 on my computer just now  i think half of these kerrs are not registered i have spent a fortune looking for my francis dad george i believe he is the son of one of these brothers there appears to be george /tabitha james /marta william/agnes/mary  joseph  my francis was born pyehills same place as robert who left the will his brother robert was born whitecroft dalton not found any more boys although we think there should be there are several girls janet anna mary whom we have not found except for births and annie who died at elizafied and susan kerr/harkness who died at moffat  i believe my elizafield kerrs and yours will be related csc

Offline Kerr Aust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Thursday 07 January 10 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Bound to be related!  A couple of other photos taken by Birtles in Warrington one of Mary Anne Smith Truda Kerr age 14 with Robert Hutchison Smith Kerr age 9 years.  He's in full regalia.  Where do the Hutchison Kerr's come in?  I don't suppose that Robert Hutchison is the son of Thomas Kerr and Mary Hutchison?  He would be the right age and that would mean he had sent the photo to his brother Joseph in Australia.   I also have a photo of Joseph.  The family definitely seemed to be into photographs.  I just wish they had been into labelling them as well!

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Thursday 07 January 10 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I have just viewed these images on Scotlands People .    John son to George Ker and Tabitha Moffat born 16th. June 1763 at Howthwat in the parish of Ruthwell. Jannet daughter to George and Tabitha born 8th July 1768 at Howthwat in Ruthwell. William son to William Ker and Mary Dickson born 22nd. July 1779 in Cleughbrae. Joseph son to William and Mary born December 26th. 1773 in Cleughbrae. James son to Joseph Ker and Jean Latimer born 16th.JULY 1774 at Mouswald Banks. Mary daughter to Benjamin Ker and Mary Irving born 27th. April 1774 at Mouswald Banks.
    Can we say that James, George, William, Joseph, and Benjamin were likely to have been brothers?.regards stoop.