Author Topic: Cleughbrae , mouswald  (Read 67893 times)

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
Re: Cleughbrae , mouswald
« Reply #45 on: Friday 16 January 09 06:45 GMT (UK) »
 :)hi mick in the ruthwell mis there are lots of dicksons no 346 in memory of david dickson esq late of nether locharwoods who died upon the ninth day of december 1806 aged 79 years alsohis son major richard lowthian dickson who died on the 20th march 1841 at bordeaux in france 347 isabella dicksondaughter of david dickson esq late of nether locharwoods died at clarencefield 15th may 1855  348 mary richardson spouseto david dickson esq who died august the 7th 1808 aged 74 years she was the eldest daughter of gilbert richardson and ann alison late in brow  she was a most affectionate wife and loving mother and a sincere friend her death was much lamented by her friends and acquaintances  349 george dickson son to david dickson esq who died 7th january 1803 much regretted by his friends and acquaintances age 25 also george ross grandson of david dickson esq monument erected by isabella dickson  csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 16 January 09 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Evening all, can I relate the following details to you in particular csc and to you Mick if it is useful. Starting with
James Kerr b.circa 1718 described as tenant of Cleughbrae d. 3/12/1789 m. Martha Moffat b. 10/6/1788 d. 11/1/1803 had at least the following children, Robert b.15/9/1754 he had a daughter named Rachel, but I do not know who his wife was or when Rachel was born he apparently lived in England. John b.1756 d.? m. Jean Tweedie in 1781 she was b. in 1760 and died in 1841 , he was a blacksmith in Mouswald Banks. Their children were , John 2/1/1786 in Mouswald Banks d. 28/7/1843. Martha b.29/4/1788 d. young, David b.22/7/1801 d. 4/3/1821, Martha b. 23/10/1791 Mouswald Banks d.?, James b. 27/6/1794 Mouswald Banks, he married Jannet Johnstone, Joseph b. 25/6/1799 at Shawhead, Mouswald d. 16/11/1874 he married Isabella Johnstone b. 10/11/1805 d. 5/3/1886 she was from Lochmaben. Jannet b. 8/9/1782 d. 1821       The next child of James and Martha was Joseph b. 17/5/1768 d. in infancy, Rachel b. 16/6/1762 d. 1832 Cleughbrae, George b. 1761 farmer, Racks, Mouswald d. 20/2/1826 at Racks he married Mary Tweedie b. 1755 d. 18/5/1856 at Elizafield. Their children were Aggy b. 8/12/1785 d. 28/4/1858 at Elizafield, Janet b. 12/3/1790 Mouswald d. ?, Jean b. 19/11/1798 Mouswald, Margaret b. 26/6/1792 Mouswald, Martha b. 14/2/1785 Mouswald, Mary b. 4/10/1795 Mouswald, William b. 20/7/1787 d. 26/12/1834 at Birsett was married to Agnes Henry b. 1786 d. 14/8/1853 at Birsett,      The next child of J and M was Jannet born 1753 d. March 1811, James b. 1771 d. 24/11/1850 at Elizafield, he I think was married to Janet Tweedie, their children were Thomas b. ?, Mary b.?, John b. ?, Martha b.?, Joseph b.?, Janet b.?,          Finally there was Thomas b. 19/12/1773 Collin, d. 25/3/1829 at the stoop he married Mary Slater b. 13/1/1783 d. 1874 or 78 at Troqueer. Their children were Mary b. 18/11/1806 d. 11/8/1892 at Gateside Holywood her husband was David Kerr b. 1810 in Holywood d. 16/9/1898 at Holywood. , Jean Millar b. 27/7/1807 at Milnfield Annan d. single 1826, James B. 6/7/1811 At Annan d. 8/11/1874 Newbridge Terregles, his wife was Sarah Phillips Pattie b. 6/5/1812 at Mouswald d . 29/4/1877 at Newbridge., George b. 14/9/1817 at Annan d. 11/9/1866 at Doweel farm Troqeer., Martha b. 26/8/1820 at Stoop d . 30/5/1851 she was married to James Dickson b. 1813 d .21/9/1854 in New York. They had children, likewise George and James lots of them , these can follow with another e mail. regards stoop.

Offline mickdickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 16 January 09 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks csc re the Nether Locharwood Dicksons, I have been in contact with the descendants of the Clark-Dicksons of this area and we have theorised the connection between the dicksons of mouswald and these due to the proximity of the two locations.  I don't have the Ruthwell MIs so thanks for that.  I really should get the Mouswald, Ruthwell, Torthorwald and Dalton ones as they and the Caerlaverock one are where my families are buried.  I have most of the Mouswald ones plus even some the DGFHS didn't...ie. most of my family but it would be nice to have the publications.

Stoop, thanks I'll pull that apart and take what I need, my thoughts are to put James D and Martha into the tree and hopefully one day connect them to my Dicksons.  Where are the 'Banks' in relation to the village and Woodside, anyone?
Dumfries -Campbell, Dickson, Glendinning, Grierson, Irving, Jardine, Wells, also Beattie, Brown, Buckham, Charters, Dalrymple, Fell, Ferguson, Fraser, Gibson, Graham, Hutchison, Leivers, Nichol, Mckenzie, Nicholson, Smith, White, McLean
Kirkcudbright - Dickson, Broun/Brown, Shennan
Glasgow-Dickson, Neilson, Thomson, Fleming, Mackenzie, Dennison
Edinburgh- Dickson, Buckham
Ayrshire-McIlwrick, McMurray, Gray, Findlay
Limerick - Shea / O'Shea, Carroll
Kerry - Egan
Sussex - Towner

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 08:43 GMT (UK) »
hi mick  in one of my replies last week i was asked how certain i was that mary dickson holemains was my ancestor we have never been certain but looking at last weeks replies we are now looking at mary dickson daughter of david dickson and susan johnstone she is also the right age do you know much about them i see a lot of their children have biblical names so might be related to the reverand george and mary had a daughter susan have not found her birth cert but have got her death cert also been trying to find this david kerr with only a george kerr listed as father the girls names of david and susan nearly match george andmarys csc

Offline mickdickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi csc,

I haven't got the connection between David D and Rev. Jacob as yet . However looking at my spreadsheet, I believe David's middle name was Jacob and he was born about 1732 dying at Glebe Park, Mouswald in 14 Nov 1815 and Rev. Jacob was born about 1736 and dying in 1824.  Susannah/Susan born about 1733 died 9 Jul 1809.  Jacob's father was Abraham and both David and Jacob have sons 5th & 4th respectively named Abraham. Both also have a Janet and a James.  Rev. Jacob's mother was Janet Smith and she married Abraham in Torthorwald in Oct 1733.

I don't have any other info on David's Mary b 29 Aug 1774, sorry. I do have some ideas on some of her brother's marriages though. Jacob married a Jean Bell, Abraham to Sarah Boys (Boyes or Boyce), Oswald possibly married Jean Grahame and also Mary Dinwoodie.  Her sister Janet possibly to James Richardson but again not confirmed, its possible that Jacob's Janet married him instead.

Mick

Dumfries -Campbell, Dickson, Glendinning, Grierson, Irving, Jardine, Wells, also Beattie, Brown, Buckham, Charters, Dalrymple, Fell, Ferguson, Fraser, Gibson, Graham, Hutchison, Leivers, Nichol, Mckenzie, Nicholson, Smith, White, McLean
Kirkcudbright - Dickson, Broun/Brown, Shennan
Glasgow-Dickson, Neilson, Thomson, Fleming, Mackenzie, Dennison
Edinburgh- Dickson, Buckham
Ayrshire-McIlwrick, McMurray, Gray, Findlay
Limerick - Shea / O'Shea, Carroll
Kerry - Egan
Sussex - Towner

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 10:27 GMT (UK) »
thanks mick i dont know why we did not think of her before we have skirted around this family a few times one of george and marys children was born at glebe park i thought it might have been marys aunts house   susan died 1856 at moffat i havent got her birth but it says she was 51 on her death i wonder if she was the one reg as anna i think my day off tomorrow will be spent looking at this lot csc

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I don't know how I have managed to miss this thread so I apologise for coming in late.  I don't want to complicate things but I also have a connection with Cleughbrae and surrounding areas, although I haven't seen my principal family's name mentioned in your posts.

I have John Nicholson married to Mary Ann Smith and all their children were born at Cleughbrae.  Benjamin b. 1777, Edward b. 1779, Christopher b. 1781, Agnes b. 1785, Janet b. 1787, Mary Ann b. 1791 and Jonah b. 1795.  I think the parents of John Nicholson were Benjamin Nicholson b. abt. 1722 and Janet Irving - they had 4 sons who married and settled in the Mouswald area.  Two of the brothers married into the Carruthers family.

I am descended from Christopher Nicholson b. 1781 at Cleughbrae (mentioned above).  He married Helen Jardine and he eventually became tennant farmer and miller of Tinwald Mill, Tinwald.

Please forgive me for barging in, but I wonder if perhaps a Nicholson has appeared at all in your searchings.

Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 11:11 GMT (UK) »
hi maggie yes i have seen lots of stuff about this family but it will take me a little  time to get it together will get back to you csc

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 11:41 GMT (UK) »
That's great csc.  There is no rush at all  - I know I am interrupting. 

We had a quick visit to the area at the end of October last and I have pictures of Cleughbrae, Mouswald church, where I know a lot of my Nicholsons are buried and Tinwald churchyard where we found the headstone of Christopher Nicholson and Helen Jardine.

I have quite a bit of information on the family but the use of the same Christian name is confusing the picture a bit to say the least, for example I know there were 2 Jonah Nicholsons born around the same time, one married to Ann Carruthers and the other married to Janet Dickson.

Many thanks,
Maggie
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk