Author Topic: Stroma  (Read 5152 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: George Allan Caithness
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 August 18 03:52 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately on Scotlands People this morning when I purchased the record it is the incorrect image, so I will have to wait for them to get back to me. Will let you know what the outcome is.

Yes please, do let us know the outcome!

Any time I've had wrong translations/certs. etc. I'd always been refunded my credits (prior to the 'take-over) but my last query with a wrong transcription of surname (glaringly obvious at least to me) was NOT credited back to my account which was a bit deflating.

I only sent a message with the usual details of the search/name/surname/cert./ref. etc. to say it had been mistranscribed on the index (as I'd previously done with others) but on this occasion although I did get a reply, I didn't get any credits reimbursed i.e. is this a new thing since the take-over?

Good luck!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Kerross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Allan Canisbay Caithness
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 August 18 02:11 BST (UK) »
I have now received the correct death certificate for Stewart Nicolson, father George Allan - Fisherman   indicating that he was still alive. Got a copy of the 1911 census wife Isabella is head of the family with the five children & shows her as being married. George is not with them. Have looked in Caithness Scotland from 1901 until 1921 when the family went to Canada. Completely out of ideas now, if he is not in Stroma Cemetery, did he maybe go to Canada or another country or possibly die at sea ????
Twigg - South Africa
Kearney - South Africa
Siegruhn
Henrys

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: George Allan Canisbay Caithness
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 August 18 00:27 BST (UK) »
I have now received the correct death certificate for Stewart Nicolson, father George Allan - Fisherman   indicating that he was still alive. Got a copy of the 1911 census wife Isabella is head of the family with the five children & shows her as being married. George is not with them. Have looked in Caithness Scotland from 1901 until 1921 when the family went to Canada. Completely out of ideas now, if he is not in Stroma Cemetery, did he maybe go to Canada or another country or possibly die at sea ????

Fishermen often went 'to sea' for many days i.e. he probably was 'at sea' on census night 1911 & unlikely to be on a census elsewhere (I may be wrong)?

If George died 1918 - 1921 have you discounted this one (age out a wee bit from yob)?...

ALLAN GEORGE
029/ 3 South Ronaldsay and Burray (Orkney)

If not your George, being a fisherman, his body may not have been recovered i.e. there will be no record on SP?

Annie

Add, Just wondering if SP returned your credits for the error?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"