Author Topic: HEGINBOTHAM - my Cheshire link  (Read 7287 times)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
HEGINBOTHAM - my Cheshire link
« on: Monday 11 February 08 23:45 GMT (UK) »
One of my mother's relation married a man born in Stockport, Cheshire abt. April 1869 according to UK Free BMD - FRANK HEGINBOTHAM.  His siblings were born in Bredbury, Cheshire.  Their parents were from Romily, Cheshire.  The only other research I've done is through FamilySearch.org.  Although the census records may have come from Ancestry.com.

After reading a bit on RootsChat, I've learned that parts of the county may have been absorbed into Greater Manchester in a move similar to that which created Cumbria, where my mother's family was from.  I'm glad to know about this absorbtion for genealogical purposes.

There were two brothers, Joseph and Charles, and one sister, Elizabeth as far as I know.  As far as I know, Frank was the youngest.  The parents were John and Sarah Heginbotham; I don't know her maiden name. 

Frank appears in Cheshire in the 1871 and 1881 census records.  In 1900, he appears in Salt Lake City, Utah.  He possibly immigrated about 1885.  Have not tried to study his siblings, so there could still be family in England.  Would appreciate any input on this family.  Thanks, RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: HEGINBOTHAM - my Cheshire link
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 00:06 GMT (UK) »
From Cheshie BMD   www.cheshirebmd.org.uk

Cheshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1861 to 1865

HEGINBOTHAM John FOX Sarah L Stockport, St Mary Stockport ST16/16/156

1861 for Green Lane Romiley - all b Romiley apart from Joseph

John Heginbotham 28  carder at cotton mill
Sarah Heginbotham 29 
Elizabeth Ann Heginbotham 5 Months   
Joseph Heginbotham 5  b Bredbury Cheshire

1891  for 14 Woodbine Crescent Stockport

Joseph Heginbotham 35 b Bredbury hatters manager
Martha 36 b Hyde
Mary Bramall 64 mother in law widow b Hyde

Cheshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1881 to 1885

HEGINBOTHAM Joseph BRAMALL Martha Stockport, St Mary Stockport ST16/24/413

1891 John & Sarah are living at Bents Lane Bredbury on their own

1901 - Joseph & Martha are at Bramhall Lane Stockport - no children
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 00:29 GMT (UK) »
If Frank emigrated around 1885 - he was only 16.  No trace of Charles after 1881 so I wonder did he emigrate first and then Frank went to join him

Might be as well checking the 1900 for Charles

Deaths Mar quarter 1892   

Heginbotham  Sarah  60  Stockport  8a 15
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, CaroleW.  I now have reason to smile.  Some of this info wasn't on the FreeBMD.  And checking the CheshireBMD, some of it was vague. This is a lot more than I had.

Considering Frank's age, it makes sense that his older brother, Charles, went with or before him.  I think Charles was about 5 years older.  It looks like Joseph and his wife stayed, although might not have had children.  Don't know that they were a prolific family.  Haven't found Elizabeth yet.  It's a lot harder to find a woman once she's of marriagable age.

Appreciate you taking the time to look these people up.  I didn't know even where to start.  In fact, I had to look for Cheshire.  My prior searches had been in Cumbria, Yorkshire, and Cornwall.  It's ironic that Lancashire was my next stop.  When my father's family left Yorkshire, some of them settled in and some of them emigrated from Lancashire.  If I'd been able to spend time there this summer as I'd hoped, I might have found the info.

And maybe not.  Is Stockport still a part of Cheshire or is it considered Manchester or Lancashire now?  It will help for future reference since I plan to return to England again after my brief jaunt this August-September. 

I'll be meeting a woman in August who I've chatted with on RootsChat.  She now lives in Wales, but had lived in Yorkshire where my dad's family used to live.  She and her sister are going to show me about southern Wales.  So I'm excited.   Thanks, again.  RedFox
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 04:26 GMT (UK) »
I tried to check the name further on FamilySearch [LDS] and got thoroughy confused.  There are lots of men named Heginbotham, depending on how you spell it.  Just as many spell it Higginbotham, and a variety of other ways.

Several of them live in some of the same towns - Romily, Bredbury, Stockport - some saying Cheshire and some Lancashire.

I may send an email to one of the living descendents and see if he knows which is correct.  Should have thought of that anyway, but he's been out of pocket.  We were both checking on a common tie out of Cumbria.  Which I'd hope to follow-up on this summer.  Another aborted portion of the trip.

Thanks for all your work, Carole.  RedFox/Judy

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Have now written the living descendent; awaiting a reply.  Also dug a little deeper on FreeBMD.  Charles died at age 10.  My guess is Frank had been left alone with elderly parents by the mid-1880's.  His brother, Joseph, and his cousin, Elizabeth, had likely married by then. 

Where do I go about seeking emigration records?  Had Ancestry.com when I had researched some others emigration.  Not sure where else to check.  Any thoughts?  Thanks, RedFox

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Redfox

First - Stockport is still in Cheshire

and one sister, Elizabeth

and his cousin, Elizabeth

I noticed on the 1881 that daughter Elizabeth has left but that niece Elizabeth aged 18 was living with them

Just realised that I hadn't included 1871 details in my reply

Living in Bredbury

John 38 wool carder b Romily
Sarah 39 b Romily
Joseph 15 b Bredbury
Elizabeth 10 Romily
Charles 7 Bredbury
Frank 1 Stockport

Where do I go about seeking emigration records

Does the 1900 census entry show the year he arrived in the USA?

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Carole.  So you're saying there is a daughter, Elizabeth, and a niece, Elizabeth.  The 1881 census definitely said niece.  Did the 1861 say Elizabeth Ann was a daughter or niece?  Although I know from my own experience that's no guarantee.

Have a relative who was listed as both son and grandson at different times in different census records.  In fact, his wife was sister to Frank's wife! 

I'll add the 1871 census info to my FTM.  What was your source for the census records?  Do you have Ancestry.co.uk or some other program?  I may have to go to the library - have used their A.com on occasion since I let my subscription go. 

Another snowfall here.  Not quite a white-out, but the last thing we need if what we have is ever going to melt.  Thanks again for your help.  RedFox/Judy 

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes – there was Elizabeth Ann b 1860 who was their daughter (see 1861 census) and was b Romiley & Elizabeth b 1862 who was their niece and b Bredbury.  The registration district of Stockport covers both areas

Per freebmd

Births Dec 1860   
HEGINBOTHAM  Elizabeth Ann    Stockport  8a  3

Births Dec 1862
HEGINBOTHAM  Elizabeth   Stockport  8a     7

I have an Ancestry subscription which is how I obtain the census info but it only covers me for UK censuses

I will have a look for daughter Elizabeth in the 1881 or a possible marriage and let you know