Author Topic: What is the one family item you wish you had? - just for a bit of fun  (Read 36603 times)

Offline Bellejazz

• I have turned off my notifications
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
What is the one family item you wish you had? - just for a bit of fun
« on: Tuesday 12 February 08 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Inspired by Celia's post asking what people have acquired during their years of research I am wondering what item related to your family history do you wish you had?

It can be anything, your great great Grannies christening gown, a copy of your parents wedding invitation, a diary, an item of jewelery, an immigrant ancestors ship tickets, anything.

The only condition is that it has to be a "real" item, something that did exist or was very likely to have existed, so no fantasy wishes, no group photos of the last 10 generations or time travel meetings with great great Aunty Melba allowed  :P :D

My #1 item would be my Granddads WW2 Medals.
Sadly Poppy died in about 1978 and nobody knows what happened to the medals (although I'd be willing to stake the farm that one of my delinquent Uncles might have had something to do with it  :-\ )

I'd give almost anything to have those.

- Belinda.
Boake Carter: Dublin Ire. - Williamstown VIC Corbet(t): Northern Ire. - Creswick VIC Croak/Croke/Croker: Kilkenny Ire. - Creswick Hob(b)el: Salzgitter Germany - Talbot VIC Mulford: London UK - Williamstown VIC Mitchell: Kildare Ire. - Lilydale VIC Orenshaw: Uttoxeter UK - Creswick Rischmuller: Gottingen Germany - Ballarat VIC Smedley: Derbyshire UK - Kilmore VIC Wassmann: Salzgitter Ward: Tipperary Ire - Creswick VIC.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: What is the one family item you wish you had? - just for a bit of fun
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Oh Belinda I would love to have a ships passenger tickets, that would solve so many of my problems  ;D

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 15:37 GMT (UK) »

This isn't a wish I had - it a glad I've got - inspired by Belinda's christening gown suggestion.

We have a Reed family gown, made in 1883 by spinster Mary Reed, then aged about 50, for her niece Mary Reed (my aunty) and used for Reed baptisms ever since.  Since I started FH I've drawn up a chart with the dates and places of the baptisms, which is updated after each use and kept with the gown in soft tissue. My name isn't on there   :'( - although I was Mary Reed too - I was baptised during the war and no-one thought to fetch it out!
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 February 08 16:15 GMT (UK) »
The one and only photograph of my Uncle Patrick,  which hung in the parlour of our two up two down in HULME, Manchester.  Where it went to I have no idea.
My younger brother found him on CWGC.  He was KIA aged 25yrs. at Mametz Wood (Battle of Somme), 14th. July, 1916.  If only I had that picture now!!
He is listed on the Thiepval Memorial having "no known grave".

Bill

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if one existed for my family, but a family bible, full of dates would be wonderful to have.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 14:07 GMT (UK) »
This was a difficult one keeping to the rules -- ie things you know existed.  There were many things which one supposed existed but didn't know for sure -- the family bible, gt grandmother's wedding dress etc etc but finally I thought of one thing which had to have existed.  Gt gt grandfather James Spence was a master tailor.  Oh to have one of the suits he made would make my day.  As an amateur dressmaker myself I would love to see his work and see if I inherited any of his craftmanship

sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 15:42 GMT (UK) »
the sugar plantation in Jamaica  8) 8) 8)

Greenvalley
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 15:54 GMT (UK) »
An interesting topic.

On Sunday evenings before we were allowed to light the gas mantle, I was allowed to get the Bradbury family scrapbook out of the cupboard and look at it in the fading light. There was everything in it - photos, of course, celebration cards, postcards and small handmade craft items all from about 1880-1935. I often wondered what happened to this magical book and shall, almost certainly, never know.

What would you do with the sugar plantation, Greenvalley?
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 16:00 GMT (UK) »
the sugar plantation in Jamaica  8) 8) 8)

Greenvalley

Now your talking. I'd love the house my dad lived in until he was about 6, in the condition it was in then.
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA