Author Topic: Help finding marriage. Reading error?  (Read 10708 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding marriage. Reading error?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I can't find a strong possibility for any of them in 1871 census but I have found something interesting. I'm using Ancestry so the transcribing is a bit iffy at times but in 1891, if I have the correct family, Robert is shown as born Burymuir, Perth. In the 1861 census there is a Mary Watson age 26 a servant at a property called Burghmuir, Perth. Also in the household is an Elizabeth Cameron aged 14 described as the adopted daughter of the head James Murie age 60. Could this Mary Watson be Robert's mother? and is Elizabeth Cameron related to James Cameron?
Andy

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I can't find a strong possibility for any of them in 1871 census but I have found something interesting. I'm using Ancestry so the transcribing is a bit iffy at times but in 1891, if I have the correct family, Robert is shown as born Burymuir, Perth. In the 1861 census there is a Mary Watson age 26 a servant at a property called Burghmuir, Perth. Also in the household is an Elizabeth Cameron aged 14 described as the adopted daughter of the head James Murie age 60. Could this Mary Watson be Robert's mother? and is Elizabeth Cameron related to James Cameron?
Andy

Hi Andy,
The more we learn, the more complicated it gets!
For the 1891 census, does it have Robert Cameron married to Jessie Torrance with daughter Elizabeth and son Robert? If so, then that is the correct family, and in 1901 there should also be daughter Mary Watson, son John McGregor, and son Daniel (all Cameron named and Perthshire born).

Also, is there a young Robert Watson or Cameron somewhere in Perthshire in the 1861 census? If he is not in the household of Mary Watson then perhaps he is with a relative of hers.

Finaly, is there more data on the birth place of James Cameron and the Elizabeth Cameron? If there is then perhaps it can can be used to find their date of birth and parents, and then find a link between the two.

Thanks a lot.
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 February 08 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The 1891 census has the following which seems to be your family.
adress Aberuthven, Auchterarder
Robert Cameron  34
Jane Cameron 24
Robert Cameron 1

The 1901 census Aberuthven P Ho, Auchterarder
Robert Cameron 45
Jessie Cameron 32
Robert Cameron 11
Mary Cameron 8
John Cameron 6
Daniel Cameron 4
Lozzie Cameron 3
Charlie Cameron 2

As far as the 1861 census is concerned, the only likely candidate is the Robert Cameron at Lower Craigie With James, Mary Hendersopn?) and half brothers John & James whilst Mary Watson at Burghmuir is a likely candidate. You probably need to see the 1861 census image for Mary Watson and the 1891 Census image for Robert Cameron's birthplace and also Robert Cameron Watson's birth certificate to see if by chance they all match, possibly Burghmuir which is Perth. In the 1861 census Elizabeth Cameron age 14 is also shown as born Perth.

I haven't found much in the 1871 & 1881 censuses apart from Robert's likely 2 half brothers in the Perth Poorhouse in 1871. It might be worth following up with the Poorhouse in case Robert also ended up there. By 1871 he could have been old enough to leave.

Have you tracked down the birth certificate for Jessie Torrance? If not its maybe the one indexed on both Scotlandspeople and the IGI as Janet Campbell Torn born Auchterarder 30th August 1865. The parents details match Jessie's sister Elisabeth Duncan Torrance born Auchterarder 12th Jan 1863. Its possible that Torrance has been mistranscribed as Torn. The IGI from 1855-1875 has sourced its births from the Government Registers and not the Parish Registers they are in theory 100 percent complete.

Also, if James Cameron who married Mary Henderson in Methven, Perthshire 19th Nov 1858 is Roberts father then the marriage certificate would name James Cameron's parents.

I haven't found Mary Watson after 1861 but of course she could have married

Andy

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 February 08 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andy.
For the 1881 census I can see:
1881 CAMERON Robert M 23 Dwelling: 3 Baffin Street Dundee, Forfar, Scotland
1881 CAMERON Robert M 24 Dwelling: Lower Lagg Dull, Perth, Scotland
1881 CAMERON Robert M 25 Dwelling: Easter Claypotts Caputh, Perth, Scotland
1881 CAMERON Robert M 23 Dwelling: 126 High St Perth Middle Church, Perth, Scotland
1881 CAMERON Robert M 25 Dwelling: Lower Keithbank Rattray, Perth, Scotland
1881 CAMERON Robert M 25 Dwelling: Springfield Scone, Perth, Scotland
1881 CAMERON Robert D. M 23 Dwelling: Artafallie House Killearnan, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland
1881 CAMERON Robert L. M 26 Dwelling: 145 Kennedy St Barony, Lanark, Scotland
1881 WATSON Robert M 25 Dwelling: Main Street Abernethy, Perth, Scotland
1881 WATSON Robert M 24 Dwelling: Fairfields Lodge (F & C Raily Crossing) Kippen, Stirling, Scotland

And for 1871:
1871 CAMERON ROBERT M 16 CAPUTH /PERTH
1871 CAMERON ROBERT M 16 LITTLE DUNKELD /PERTH
1871 CAMERON ROBERT M 14 LOGIEALMOND /PERTH
1871 CAMERON ROBERT M 15 LOGIERAIT /PERTH
1871 CAMERON ROBERT M 15 MONEYDIE /PERTH
1871 CAMERON ROBERT M 13 PERTH /PERTH
1871 CAMERON ROBERT M 14 RATTRAY /PERTH
1871 WATSON ROBERT M 16 ABERNETHY /PERTH
1871 WATSON ROBERT M 14 COLLACE /PERTH
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 February 08 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps Robert can be found in 71/81 with a remarried Mary Watson?

From the IGI, marriages of a Mary Watson between 1861 and 1871:
JOHN WATSON, Marriage:  25 DEC 1863   Glendevon, Perth, Scotland
DAVID SHEARER, Marriage:  30 OCT 1863   Perth, Perth, Scotland
ALEX. MCGREGOR, Marriage:  14 DEC 1866   Perth, Perth, Scotland

Could Robert be in the household of one of these people?

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 February 08 10:02 GMT (UK) »
The only Elizabeth Cameron in the IGI born in 1846-47 in Perth is daughter to DONALD CAMERON/ELISABETH CAMPBELL.
However, their is no James among their offspring in the IGI, so I don't think there is a connection.

It's great that you found Jessie's birth record, now I know why I couldn't find it!

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 February 08 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Looking at your list for 1871 most can be ruled out because Robert Cameron is with his parents but some are possibilities. There are 3 cases where he is a servant, in 2 cases the birthplace is I think too far away but in the third case no birthplace is shown. It just says N.K. (not known) This is the Robert Cameron at Moneydie. Neither Robert Watson is her as both are with their parents. If I had to pick one I would say Robert Cameron in Moneydie as Moneydie is only about 3 miles from Perth.

Burghmuir & Lower Craigie (from the 1861 census) are both within walking distance of the centre of Perth. I know because I just about walked it. When I visited Perth a few years ago I stayed in the area and walked into the city centre. (got the bus back though as its uphill all the way)
I'll have a closer look at 1881 in the morning but from memory it was pretty similar, a couple of possibilites as servants but noone else in the household to confirm it is yours
I had a look at those marriages earlier as possibilities for Mary and the McGregor one looked promising particularly as McGregor was used by Robert as a middle name for his son John but Roberts not there. Whilst McGregor could be a clue its also quite a common surname in Perthshire.
I'll have a closer look tomorrow (I'm in Australia)

Andy

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 February 08 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The only Elizabeth Cameron in the IGI born in 1846-47 in Perth is daughter to DONALD CAMERON/ELISABETH CAMPBELL.
However, their is no James among their offspring in the IGI, so I don't think there is a connection.

Not all baptisms prior to 1855 are on the IGI nor on Scotlandspeople so just because you didn't find them having a son named James didn't mean that they didn't.

In the 1881 census listed there is only one Robert Cameron that I can't rule out and that is the Robert Cameron age 25 at a Domestic Servant at Springfield, Scone. Unfortunately the other household members aren't helpful.

Both Robert Watson's in 1881 are with their parents so they are not yours.

Do you have Robert Cameron Watson's birth certificate? If so does his birth address match his 1891/1901 census birthplace?

Andy

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 February 08 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think I have found James Cameron and Mary (Henderson) in both the 1881 & 1891 censuses and Mary (Henderson) in the 1871 census. It looks like James & Mary (Henderson) had more children,
Ann Cameron born 16/5/1863,
Alexander Cameron born 21/4/1865
Christina Reid Cameron born 16/6/1867.
In the 1871 census Mary(Henderson) and the 3 younger children are in Perth and the 2 older children James & John appear to be in the Perth Poorhouse but there is no sign of James(senior).
In the 1881 census the family are back together living in Perth. They also have 2 more sons John born c1879 (which leads me to think that their older son John was deceased) and Andrew born c1880. Also in the household is James (back from the poorhouse?) and the 3 children who were with Mary in the 1871 census.
Does Roberts marriage certificate have his fathers occupation? as James in both 1881 & 1891 was a Quarryman.
Andy