Author Topic: Birstall or Birkenshaw?  (Read 10708 times)

Offline NGHIC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birstall or Birkenshaw?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi MMM 45 and Dobfarm,

Thanks for your prompt replies.   I am new to this site so I don't know how to send you personal messages.  Maybe if you send me your direct e mails we could have a more in depth conversation.

My interest in Henry Ellison is driven by our interest in a steam locomotive that we are  close to completing at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway in Derbyshire.   It was bought new for use at the Kilnhurst tar plant and is named 'Henry Ellison'.  We are trying to build a life around the name and to make contact with living relatives who we can invite to the re-dedication ceremony for publicity purposes.

I am close to building a basic family tree of the Ellison family but it is only what is available on the Ancestors website.  At the moment it is a bit sterile and I need the personal touches, hence my appeal for help from people who are directly related to either the plant or the people.

I hope that you can help.

Regards,

NGHIC

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 August 12 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, NGHIC .

First you need to post another reply! (3 in all) to use the PM system of contact. Rules of the website is -all new members need 3 posts (I haven't a clue either why?) on the public board forum threads to use the PM's.

3 other guides and general rules

1) Rule- We never put our email address on the public boards
2) Rule -We never talk about living people by name or age (or date /or year of Birth etc)
as they may personally object or legal reasons

Guide - ID theft is rampant, hence we try not to use our own I D's and advice most members not to give out their email address- (willy nilly) to any unknown new members as there are people who pretend to do ancestry to obtain ID's/Email addresses (ie:~ to send out spam/scam mail) or join websites like this for just that purpose. They usually show themselves up by direct questions or haven't time or patience as normal members doing honest family history interests! have.

Not so much now! but many banks used to use  mothers maiden names as security questions.

Therefore a new-bee asking about using  PM's and wanting members to sent email addresses by PM's sets alarm bells ringing. Most ancestry new members come straight in yapping about their own ancestry first and wanting info or help with it!
However! A slow approach though the normal routes as below may bring results and in time members may ? build up a trust with you in the same interests as you.

I advise using the Forum tab & Help tab at the top of page menu and look down the list.

Use this forum board in the link below and start a fresh topic of your interest

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,296.0.html

Regards

Dob's
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 August 12 08:46 BST (UK) »
As an after thought,

Tell them of your research first

Try the Librarian at YAS Leeds as they may know of someone who is researching this family Ellison history or the Tar company as they get lots of family history research requests,

http://www.yas.org.uk/content/contact.html

Worth a try.

Dobby
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline NGHIC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 August 12 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dobby for your replies.  I did not realise that there is a protocol for using these sites and that identity theft was such a problem.  I can now see that trying to trace the relatives of once wealthy people could be regarded with suspicion.

However our task is honourable (go onto the evr website if you are interested) and we will continue ever onwards.  Thanks for the Leeds suggestion, I will contact them in due course.

NGHIC

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 August 12 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

These fraudsters, scamsters and hackers spoil most peoples lives or hobbies but they play the numbers game and soon spotted mainly by their own stupidity -ancestry is the long game -theirs is the very short game (or long game in HMS Prison ;D ;D ;D ) with hope to trip people up.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Just keep asking at places where people research-WYAS archives at Sheepcar Leeds or Wakefield also Kirklees & Leeds Libraries.

Good luck  ;)

Offline Samueller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 August 12 21:11 BST (UK) »
Dobby helpfully suggests contacting WYAS.  Note that their Sheepscar premises are now closed and WYAS are due to re-open in Morley, probably in November.

Sam.
Weller: Bucks, Oxford, Kent, Sussex
Aylward: Hants
Morton: Hants
Thorburn: Lancs; Peeblesshire, Roxburghshire
Thorbrand: Roxburghshire
Parlane: Lancs; Renfrewshire
Goldschmidt: Lancs; Germany
Kassell: Yorks
Hewes: Northants; Leics; Yorks

Offline jensav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I know this is a very very old post but I believe I may be able to shed some light on the original posters question.

You're all right really..I grew up in Birkenshaw around the corner from "Threelands".   When I was a child it was an old peoples care home known as "Threelands Grange".

The West Yorkshire Ambulance Service had their HQ in the original old house that was surrounded by a huge wall.. I havent been to Birkenshaw in about 10 years now but I believe the old peoples home was pulled down and a new housing area was built there.  I think the old house was taken down too.

My great great Grandmother, Isabella Briggs (nee Murray) was in service at the house in 1886 and when she left to get married she was presented with a bible by her employers Mr & Mrs George Ellison, I still have the bible and can photography the inscription if you like.

Anyway, I know quite a lot about Birkenshaw and so if you have any questions, I'd be only too happy to answer them or try to find out :)

Offline davidurk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 05 August 13 17:16 BST (UK) »
I know this is a very very old post but I believe I may be able to shed some light on the original posters question.

You're all right really..I grew up in Birkenshaw around the corner from "Threelands".   When I was a child it was an old peoples care home known as "Threelands Grange".

The West Yorkshire Ambulance Service had their HQ in the original old house that was surrounded by a huge wall.. I havent been to Birkenshaw in about 10 years now but I believe the old peoples home was pulled down and a new housing area was built there.  I think the old house was taken down too.

My great great Grandmother, Isabella Briggs (nee Murray) was in service at the house in 1886 and when she left to get married she was presented with a bible by her employers Mr & Mrs George Ellison, I still have the bible and can photography the inscription if you like.

Anyway, I know quite a lot about Birkenshaw and so if you have any questions, I'd be only too happy to answer them or try to find out :)

Hi Jensav
I had forgotten I posted this original one!! Thanks for the info.
George Ellison was a cousin so many times removed, living in Threelands Grange which was  originally my ggg grandparents house. His wife was Mary and he died in 1896.
On old censuses the addresses were given as house names originally so I have a few names but don't know whereabouts in Birkenshaw the properties were. I will go and have a dig through masses of paperwork and check.
If you could photograph the inscription in the book that would be good, but how to get it as I cant put my email address on here?
I will get my thinking hat on again and let you know if any questions.
many thanks K

Offline jensav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 August 13 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jensav
I had forgotten I posted this original one!! Thanks for the info.
George Ellison was a cousin so many times removed, living in Threelands Grange which was  originally my ggg grandparents house. His wife was Mary and he died in 1896.
On old censuses the addresses were given as house names originally so I have a few names but don't know whereabouts in Birkenshaw the properties were. I will go and have a dig through masses of paperwork and check.
If you could photograph the inscription in the book that would be good, but how to get it as I cant put my email address on here?
I will get my thinking hat on again and let you know if any questions.
many thanks K

Why dont you send me a private message with your email address and I will send you a photo of the inscription?  It pretty much just says that the bible is presented to my relative by George Ellison in remembrance of her services and the year etc but it is handwritten and presumably by Mr (or Mrs) Ellison as the handwriting differs from where my relative has added the births of her children etc..its a beautiful black leather bound bible.