Author Topic: licences  (Read 4641 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: licences
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 22:54 GMT (UK) »
There were at least three types of Commission Agent: A Turf Commission Agent who placed bets on behalf of owners or trainers with bookmakers or turf accountants, and who also may have placed bets for members of the general public.
A Commercial Commission Agent who represented and took orders for a firm or firms in a particular town or district, worked on his own account, on a commission basis, or as an employee of one firm on a salary and commission. An Insurance Agent who represented an insurance company, or a number of companies, in a particular town or district, who secured new policies and Collected premiums, etc. on a commission basis.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Prudhoe St lay just outside the old town wall and was described in 1830 as one of the newly built improvements. However it lay only a short walk from the nearest access to the open grazing of the town moor. It still exists, but has been overwhelmed by the giant Eldon Square shopping mall built over it. That nearest part of the town moor is now occupied by St James Park, the Newcastle United stadium. The cows still graze the moor beyond though.
I notice the grandson John N was born in Middlesborough. Could Nathaniel the ygr have been living there, perhaps with a married sister?

Offline tobin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 February 08 11:29 GMT (UK) »
hi

thanks for reply

i have tried looking further afield for nathaniel but the only one that matches age is in the 1841 census and there is a nathaniel hall of the right age in middlesex with a fanny hall aged 70,but of course the census doesnt say where he is from just says no not from the county the same as fannys entry.
i have spoken to durham university and am waiting to hear if the marriage licence bond and allegation has survived,and see what info it has,i know this will tell me nothing about nathaniel jnr but im hoping that it will in some way tell me that it is his parents,so im not running around on a wild goose chase.
any ideas where wills are kept or newspapers from the time and area that might have nathaniel snrs death.he died 1869.i live in cambridgeshire and have never been to newcastle or to be honest know anything about the place,i was totally ignorant to the fact that my maternal line had such strong ties there till i started my tree

thanks patsy
hall,bowey,turnbull,danby -northumberland
speechley,lakey,ayres,anker,bedford -cambs and huntingdon
warrener and cope -nottingham

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 February 08 11:51 GMT (UK) »
It just occurred to me after I closed down that in 1861 two doors away in Prudhoe St, was another Davison family.  Davison is a very common name in the NE but it's possible they were related. I can't make out the widowed father's occupation for sure. It looks like waiter over a crossed out domestic servant. However the son Thomas aged 24 is a seaman. Could young Nathaniel have gone to sea also? Could that have been the reason for his choice of the rope making business?

Offline tobin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 February 08 14:28 GMT (UK) »
hi
thats one thing i never thought of,him going to sea.And rope making seemed a strange occupation after he came from a line of butchers (if it is his family).it has to be worth looking into.
on his marriage cert his place of residence is byker bar??and it would seem by the census after marriage thats where he lived till his death in 1906.or at least byker.byker is pretty central in newcastle isnt it?

pat

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 February 08 15:33 GMT (UK) »
hi

any ideas where wills are kept or newspapers from the time and area that might have nathaniel snrs death.he died 1869.i live in cambridgeshire and have never been to newcastle or to be honest know anything about the place,i was totally ignorant to the fact that my maternal line had such strong ties there till i started my tree

thanks patsy

You can get copies of wills, from 1858, at
The Postal Searches & Copies Dept, York Probate Sub-Registry, Castle
Chambers, Clifford Street, York, YO1 9RG. You can download an application form at
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/pa1s_0405.pdf

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tobin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 February 08 16:12 GMT (UK) »
thanks stan i will go download a form from the link

many thanks pat

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 February 08 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Byker is to the east and just beyond the old boundary of Newcastle. Byker Bar was one of the farms in the township and divided up into building plots in 1879 to house the workers in the expanding coal mines, factories and shipyards.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 February 08 18:48 GMT (UK) »
The area of Byker was absorbed into the city of Newcastle in 1835.

Byker lay within the Newcastle "ancient" parish of All Saints.

The parish was made up of three "townships" ( a township in 1800 was terminology for a sub-division of a parish, not necessarily pertaining to a town) All Saints itself, Heaton and Byker.

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.