Author Topic: 1858 School Mistress  (Read 2541 times)

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 x GGrandfather Joseph Boultbee (1758-1821)
    • View Profile
1858 School Mistress
« on: Wednesday 13 February 08 11:49 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandaunt, Cicely Jopson, migrated to Australia in 1853 & married the same year & subsequently had 3 children before her husband died in 1858. She returned to England the same year & as Cicely Wright, married a James Ferguson on 22 Sept 1860 at St Thomas' Church, Kendal, Westmorland. On the certificate, it states that she is a School Mistress. What I'm trying to find out is: Did a woman have to have any particular qualifications to hold this position in the late 1850's, early 1860's. The only other occupation I have for her, is as a Milliner on the 1851 England census, when she was 17 years old. Not long after she married, she had a large family with James, so she was only a School Mistress for a short period.

Any help or helpful websites would be appreciated!

Mike.
Jopson, Jubb, Jeffrey, Beardsworth, Boultbee, Byard, Pithers, Sale, Dowling, Dunn, Harrison, Offor, McDonald, Morgan, Walters, Wise. Alexander, Bayne, Collins, Dalton, Hill, Turner, Ripper, Vivash, Collins.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1858 School Mistress
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 20:10 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 census shows her as being married but with no occupation listed. She must have been pregnant when she came back to England as the census shows her with a two year old son. I don't think there is any way in which a pregnant woman with another small child would have been a school teacher in England at that time. Maybe that was her occupation in Australia.

Here they are:
James Ferguson, head, 43, weaver ( woollen), birthplace - Westmorland, Kendal
Cicely , wife, 27, Staffordshire
Ann Wright, daughter, 5, Australia
Thomas W Wright, son, 2, Westmorland,

Cheers,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 x GGrandfather Joseph Boultbee (1758-1821)
    • View Profile
Re: 1858 School Mistress
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 February 08 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gen,

Yes, that's her on the 1861 census & yep, she has no occupation. Thomas W. Wright was born in July 1858 just after they arrived from Melbourne, so she was pregnant with him when her late husband, Charles Wright was alive, Cicely Wright Jnr, her other child, along with Ann that she left Melbourne with, unfortunately died aged 12 months from teething on the journey. Perhaps she was a School Mistress back in Melbourne but her & Charles had 3 children from 1853-1857 with Charles Jnr dying in 1855, so I can't imagine where she got time to be a School Mistress then either? I'll email the Maldon Genealogy Society to see if she has an occupation on the 1856 electoral roll.

Thanks  :D

Mike.
Jopson, Jubb, Jeffrey, Beardsworth, Boultbee, Byard, Pithers, Sale, Dowling, Dunn, Harrison, Offor, McDonald, Morgan, Walters, Wise. Alexander, Bayne, Collins, Dalton, Hill, Turner, Ripper, Vivash, Collins.