Author Topic: SPTS?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
Re: SPTS?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 February 08 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Dan just a quickie you mite want to delete the personal email as members dont post too private details because of spam that mite b sent but I have it if u want to press modifyand delete it

Now writing another to you

Su
Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 February 08 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Wow have you got a surprise coming!

Will post a little here as it makes for wonderful reading to others on this site and proves what Rootschat can do!

William Henry Thomas or Harry as he liked to be called did, as you know marry Ethel Thomas on 23.05.1914 at Redruth.

Harry managed a (little unauthorised) visit home :o and the result was my Grandmother Eileen Louvain Thomas. 

He never got to see her as he died before she was born on 8th February 1917.

My Grandmother never remarried and remembered him right up until she died in 1984.

Eileen then went on to marry and had four children Brian, Carole, Anne and Peter - Carole being my mother and Anne helping here with the family research.

Those four children went on to have 10 children who in turn have had at least seven of their own!!!

I expect that you have a goodly amount of Thomas there as well!

I am now going to PM and the saga continues....

Su
Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 March 08 09:53 GMT (UK) »

Harry managed a (little unauthorised) visit home :o and the result was my Grandmother Eileen Louvain Thomas. 

I have a relative in our family tree who was named "Gevinchey" as that was were her father was when she was born. Perhaps that is were the idea came from that he was killed at Louvain
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 March 08 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Percy

That is quite possible - although we were led to believe it was the other way around as Harry died in the September 1916 and my Nan was born in Feb 1917.

Another mystery to unravel!  All the fun of family history. :D

Thanks

Su

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 March 08 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Just an update on what is happening here!

Both Dan and I have had a lot of information to exchange, but it has all been very helpful.  We are slowly putting together the pieces surrounding WHT's death.

As many of you had advised it was unlikely that WHT would have been at Louvain around the date of his death and now we seem to be finding evidence from another soldiers personal diary to back that up.

It is very difficult when setting out to uncover facts, not to destroy others family members perceptions of the story.  I just wanted to know the true story behind the man.

We have discovered he has other siblings which we knew nothing about and a very interesting history is revealing itself, even thought WHT life was short he seems to have lived it to the full. His father also a WHT was a very colourful character and tracing his history has brought a few smiles to my face.

Thank you for everyones help and advice so far, will keep this updated.

Su