Author Topic: SPTS?  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
Re: SPTS?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 February 08 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both again.  Yes I have the CWGC info, i had the honour of visiting Theipval last year.  It is a great monument for a great sacrifice.

I know that his father was also called William Henry Thomas and that his mother remarried, but only that her initial is C.  I think I may have found his father at Falmouth, but I am having difficlulty gluing the two threads together.

This site has pushed my research forward quicker than i have progressed in the last ten years!  With advice and links its terrific. (been on net 1 month & wow!)

Thanks

Su
Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 February 08 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Su

Do you have his marriage certificate?  Registered in Redruth in June Qtr of 1914 ?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 February 08 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendi

Thanks for welcome! 

I do not have his actual marriage certificate, but I have taken notes from the original, which has since been destroyed!

It shows his age as 20 (23.05.1914 date of marriage) so that makes his year of birth 1894 or thereabouts.

It shows his father as William Henry Thomas (Dec) Engineer :)

I have tried very hard to chase up every thread, but the family do not seem to be living in Padstow or immediate area - am still looking! ::)

Thanks

Su
Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline keepergain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 February 08 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Su,

This was my great uncle. Happy to tell you all I know.

But, for a start, his mother was Fanny Tresidder/Thomas/Truman (the inital C comes from Charles Truman). And we Thomas's are still in Padstow - very much so!

Get in touch - lots of stories to tell.

Dan Thomas

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 February 08 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I hope you don't mind me asking what makes you think he was killed at Louvain? If he is commemorated at Thiepval then that indicates a death in the Somme battlefield.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 February 08 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dan

Wowwwwwwwwwww ;D ;D

Cant wipe silly grin of my face :D

It is wonderful that you found this site.  Hopefully we can fill in many pieces of the jigsaw together.

It is wonderful to know the Thomas' are still in Padstow. Does this mean we are cousins ??? removed somewhere along the line?

So many questions to ask and would love to meet if/when you feel happy to.  Like Christmas for me!

How did you find site etc?

Su

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 February 08 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Imber

It is the family story that he was killed in Louvain, but as you can see from Dan's post we might just be getting a few more details! (excited much ;D)

I have visited the Theipval Memorial last year as this search meant so much to me and understand what you are saying - I am just trying to find facts to go with story.

Thanks

Su

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 February 08 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Dan may I send you a PM with my details etc?

Su

Offline keepergain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 February 08 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Su!

Me too!

I was looking at the CWGC site, looking for some relatives lost in WW2, when I put in WH THomas's details - I already knew he was lost in WW1, but just looked again for curiosity, and found about his wife and address. As he died so young, it never occured to me he'd married or had children, and there might be relatives I didn't know - so I was interested.....!

I'd never heard of Hyr Bellevue (I know Redruth pretty well), so I stuck it into Google, and Google found your post... then I was VERY interested......!

My personal email is GONE - very happy to hear from you, and speak/meet. I can't tell you anything you don't already know about his life/death, but I can fill you in on his background/heritage.

Dan