Author Topic: William King. South Holmwood  (Read 1525 times)

Offline shirl58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
William King. South Holmwood
« on: Thursday 14 February 08 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to trace details and ancestors of a King family that used to live in Bushy Cottage South Holmwood, Nr Dorking. Surrey.
The little I know is ....I believe his name was William. I believe he was a forester.  His wife could have been called Susan(ah) Wenman. There were children ...Henry, Matt, and Absolom.
Sorry this information is a bit vague but am having a problem finding someone with a decent memory!!
They would have been living in this address during the early 1960s but I believe it was an old family house....it could be that they were living here long before that.
Many Thanks
Shirl
Webb. Emmett. Anderson. Record.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: William King. South Holmwood
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 February 08 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirl,
I presume you do mean 1960 & not 1860  :) ???  If it is 1960, try a Google search for a local Dorking website that deals with lost friends/relatives, someone might remember.  Also, I'm sure you'll find a local newspaper for the area, you could put a small ad in that,

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Beetle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Shirl

I'm sorry to have come to this rather late in the day.  The lengthy will of John Tilt, who died in 1811, says "I also give and devise unto my said son James Tilt all that my customary messuage or tenement, orchard, containing by estimation half an acre more or less, situate and being in the parish of Dorking aforesaid and parish of the manor of Dorking, and now in the occupation of William King, all which said premises I have surrendered to the use of this my will to hold the same unto my said son James etc etc". 

The cottage passed on James's death in 1851 to his son Peter Tilt, who died in 1853, and was buried in St Mary Magdalen on the Holmwood.  It then went to Peter's widowed sister Sarah Lewer.

I think the cottage was held by the Tilts copyhold from the Lord of the Manor of Dorking, but that they didn't live in it, but in another property nearby.  It is possible that the Kings remained as tenants of the Tilts for many years. James Tilt's widow Martha, to whom the cottage was actually left in her father-in-law's will if she outlived her husband, survived until 1863.   William King paid £2 per annum rent.

I hope you are having some luck with your search.

Beetle.

Tilts in Surrey and Sussex
Smiths in Bilston, Staffs
Naylors in Sedgley, Staffs

Offline shirl58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 March 08 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beetle

Cheers for that. It might actually tie in with a bit of info that I was told. Apparently the Duke of Arundel visited the family regarding something to do with some rights on the common....or something like that.

I have as yet not spent a lot of time on the Kings as I am doing research into my side of the family. I am struggling trying to find time to fit everyone in!!

Webb. Emmett. Anderson. Record.

Offline Beetle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 March 08 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Shirl

The Lord of the Manor of Dorking was the Duke of Norfolk, whose seat was (and still is) Arundel Castle. 

It looks as though you are on to something!

Beetle

Tilts in Surrey and Sussex
Smiths in Bilston, Staffs
Naylors in Sedgley, Staffs

Offline galeforce18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 June 18 00:51 BST (UK) »
hi,sherl just seen your request,I also see it’s some years ago,well I may be of some help to you I lived in the village in the 1960’s mill road,and went to southolmwood primary school started there 1961,iv’e heard the name king,we had a lady come from the village who was our cleaner,I’m here to make some surjestions to you, try looking at the grave yard at st.mary’s magdulin church,southolmwood,and the other hints is put a message on the southolmwood village club website,all the locals use the club,I know there are people who still live in the village today, iv’e found the website handy in the past,.please let me know if I help you,Michael. 

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 June 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

I think you may have posted in the wrong place.

The topic has been relocated after suggestions from other chatters here.

Shirl hasn't been online here for quite a while. Hoping she comes back soon.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea