Author Topic: Aircraft Fitter 1942 Maidenhead  (Read 6203 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aircraft Fitter 1942 Maidenhead
« on: Friday 15 February 08 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I am tracing my father's first 40/50 years.  He was born in 1905 in Maidenhead and was in the Merchant Navy from 1924 to 1930.  I don't know what he did between 1930 and 1942 but in 1942 I have evidence to say he was an aircraft fitter.  I think he must have worked locally and I don't think he was in the RAF.  That leaves, perhaps, White Waltham.

He also worked for Holden the car body company in Adelaide for a couple of years during his navy period.

In 1942 he was married with a baby and living in Maidenhead and aged 37.  Can anyone tell me where he might have worked and would he have needed qualifications (I would have thought so)

I have enquired in many places without success and am hoping RC will come to my rescue!

Regards, Abiam

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Aircraft Fitter 1942 Maidenhead
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 February 08 14:26 GMT (UK) »
He might have been working at Hawkers, Langley, which employed lots of fitters. There were other aircraft companies at Woodley.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Flakdodger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bo.... Odd eyes - odd brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 February 08 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Abiam,
White Waltham was a main base of the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA) an organisation that ferried aircraft around the UK (IE factory to RAF) so freeing up RAF effort.
It was not part of the RAF but came under the the Ministry of Aircraft Production (MAP).
Their records are at Kew in the AVIA series. AVIA 81 is Selected Civilian Personal Files.
Hope this helps,
Dave
The only free cheese is in a mousetrap

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 08 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I would have thought White Waltham was the more likely. Woodley would have been a long trek to work.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 February 08 15:00 GMT (UK) »
In 1942 he was married with a baby and living in Maidenhead and aged 37.

you might be lucky and find some extra detail provided on this childs Birth Cert as to his occupation ...
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 February 08 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your suggestions.

My thinking is that W Waltham is most likely - within cycling distance -  I think Woodley and Langley too far away although I suppose there could have been buses to ferry the workers.

It was my birth certificate and nothing written but Aircraft Fitter.

Flakdodger - Can I find anything on line about the AVIA as I am in Spain and therefore unable to visit Kew?  Should have been more intersted when I lived there and when my Dad was alive!

Any more thoughts most welcome,
Regards,
Abiam

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 February 08 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Just answered my own question!  I can see the name but that's it I will have to try and find someone going to Kew,
Abiam

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 February 08 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I worked for an engineering company 1950's and quite a few fitters, etc. went to work in the merchant navy when they'd finished their apprenticeships.  There was more money by way of promotion for engineers in the navy.  Have you found out where your father worked 1919 to 1924?

Rena

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 February 08 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, No I haven't but I imagine he was probably the inevitable Ag Lab.  He was one of eleven the last but one and probably joined the navy to get away from home.  Those are my thoughts.
He became a chauffeur gardener somtime in the late 40's early 50's
Regards, Abiam